Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NX Fuel Solenoid Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 11:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NX Fuel Solenoid Problem

Trying to get someone elses input. Here's the deal. I have a 04' c5 vette with the NX GM efi kit with the single nozzle. The problem we keep having is that the fuel solenoid keeps on swelling the the plunger inside and thus does not flow fuel. I have rebuilt the solenoid with new plungers and they seem to last for about 1 to 2 months before it swells again to were it is unsable. I live in Flordia, is is something with the fuel or what, I use reg. 93 oct. and notthing else. Chould the solenoid be getting too hot from engine temp. ? I have the kit hidden and the fuel solenoid is under the driver side fuel rail cover. I wait about 45 mins. between passes and figured that should be ample time for the solenoid to cool. Well, What do you guys think?
Old 03-09-2006, 12:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, that's normally a fuel additive problem. One more reason for me to stay dry.
Robert
Old 03-09-2006, 01:03 AM
TECH Junkie

What BRAND fuel are you using? I avoid Citgo fuel like the plague it swelled my TNT noid...Never had that problem with Chevron or Texaco fuel. Its DEFINITELY fuel additives. Change brands.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
What BRAND fuel are you using? I avoid Citgo fuel like the plague it swelled my TNT noid...Never had that problem with Chevron or Texaco fuel. Its DEFINITELY fuel additives. Change brands.
Well let's see, first is was only from shell, next plunger was on unocal 76, next was on sunoco fuel. I find it hard to think that all these places use the same fuel additive that is making these swell so quickly. I have no problem saying it is an additive problem, but when they swell within a 1 to 2 month period it's just plain stupid. They should look at making a better plunger b/c I am kinda getting tired of buying new ones every couple of months.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

NX will not help with problem?
Old 03-09-2006, 09:16 AM
FormerVendor

Chances are it is an additive; it's not uncommon to have multiple stations/brands have the same additives in them in one area. There are different fuel material pistons out that can help, I'm sure the guys at NX will help you out with that.

Matt

Originally Posted by Mr.Nitrous
Well let's see, first is was only from shell, next plunger was on unocal 76, next was on sunoco fuel. I find it hard to think that all these places use the same fuel additive that is making these swell so quickly. I have no problem saying it is an additive problem, but when they swell within a 1 to 2 month period it's just plain stupid. They should look at making a better plunger b/c I am kinda getting tired of buying new ones every couple of months.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Matt@HSW
Chances are it is an additive; it's not uncommon to have multiple stations/brands have the same additives in them in one area. There are different fuel material pistons out that can help, I'm sure the guys at NX will help you out with that.

Matt

I get gas for my car at the same 76 station and I have not had a problem. I did swell one up on shell gas when they first changed to v power, but have had no problems with citgo, sunoco, or 76.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:35 PM
10 Second Club

I've had this problem in the past too, it was the fuel. I switched to a piston that is nitromethane compatable and everything has been fine (was a TNT PP noid).

I'm sure the NX boys will chime in tommorow.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:58 PM
FormerVendor

As as already been stated by many, it is probably due to the additives in the fuel in your area (not necessarily brand specific). I have a feeling that this is going to grow into a more common problem if the fuel manufacturer's continue to put more alcohol and other additives in their fuels in order to meet EPA guidelines.

We have pistons for the fuel solenoids that are made of different materials for various fuels. Unfortunately, the manufacturer of the pistons has not found a material to use that will hold up under all the various fuels on the market.

If you would like to email or pm me to further discuss how we can take care of the issue, I would be more than happy to help with getting things fixed for you.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:55 PM
10 Second Club

Please use some common sense. You might try calling NX directly? http://www.nitrousexpress.com It seems to me that there are lots of fuel solenoids out there Mr. Nitrous...doesn't seem like a common problem without an explaination. NX has been a VERY helpful company for me. I think you might be jumping to conclusions here. I'd even bet that if you used any other solenoid you would have the same issues. Just my guess.

Last edited by Macon; 03-09-2006 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Macon
Please use some common sense. You might try calling NX directly? http://www.nitrousexpress.com It seems to me that there are lots of fuel solenoids out there Mr. Nitrous...doesn't seem like a common problem without an explaination. NX has been a VERY helpful company for me. I think you might be jumping to conclusions here. I'd even bet that if you used any other solenoid you would have the same issues. Just my guess.
Well, since you put it like that answer this for me. I have a 4 year old nx plate system that doesn't have this problem and it uses the same fuel. How's that for common sense. Like I said just trying to get some other peoples input as well as nx's.Not pointing fingers are being pissed off, just trying to see what other people have had this problem. I thought that what this forum was for?Just my thought.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

Since you have an existing system. Just for grins try using the fuel solenoid from the plate kit on the vette (make sure that it has a large enough orifice to supply the needed volume of fuel). If the plunger swells up again when it never did before on the other vehicle/location then you will have more data to fix the problem. If it does not swell then something is very odd! Just something to try. It does seem strange that you use the same fuel on both and one swells and the other doesnt. Are both cars driven just as often?
Old 03-10-2006, 09:55 AM
10 Second Club

.Not pointing fingers are being pissed off, just trying to see what other people have had this problem. I thought that what this forum was for?Just my thought.
I see you edited your content removing such things as "stupid". People don't usually describe companies here as being "stupid" until that at least 200 posts. It sounded a lot like there is/was angry finger pointing to me. Anyway - if you need some help - don't expect to get tons of it calling a company stupid...that's common sense.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:15 PM
10 Second Club

I see you edited your content removing such things as "stupid". People don't usually describe companies here as being "stupid" until that at least 200 posts. It sounded a lot like there is/was angry finger pointing to me. Anyway - if you need some help - don't expect to get tons of it calling a company stupid...that's common sense.

Macon, he was not calling nx stupid. He was saying that changing the piston once a month is stupid. He also didn't edit the post. That was done for him maybe by a mod? Anyway, everybody says it is the gas, but three of us have the same NX kit and get gas at the same place. Only the vette has the problem. Hence the reason for the post. We were wondering maybe if it could be a heat issue, because the noid is covered on this car.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:30 PM
FormerVendor

Well, the new pistons are on their way Mr. Nitrous. Just for the hell of it, have you tried using the solenoids from the old plate system on your vette?
Old 03-10-2006, 07:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NXJeremy
Well, the new pistons are on their way Mr. Nitrous. Just for the hell of it, have you tried using the solenoids from the old plate system on your vette?
Not sure if it would work as for one is a efi and the other is carb system. You tell me, one is a gemini twin stage 6 solenoid and I'm using it on a 150 setting efi system on the other car. Have you guys made a change in the rubber compound or something in the last few years? The plate solenoid in a few years old.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Launching!

Well, Don't know where that came from. I never called anyone or any company stupid, Guess you miss read it or miss understood what I was trying to say. And I didn't edit any of my post either. Like Redline said, I was saying that the need for me to change the plunger so quickly was stupid. If it is indeed a fuel problem and the new ones that Nx sends fixes the problem, great. Not pissed off at anyone, I am a die hard NX user and thats that, won't change for anyone.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:10 PM
10 Second Club

Well, Don't know where that came from. I never called anyone or any company stupid, Guess you miss read it or miss understood what I was trying to say. And I didn't edit any of my post either. Like Redline said, I was saying that the need for me to change the plunger so quickly was stupid. If it is indeed a fuel problem and the new ones that Nx sends fixes the problem, great. Not pissed off at anyone, I am a die hard NX user and thats that, won't change for anyone.
Please reread the quote area at post #10 - that's what my email sent me...that's what was posted. Ok it's been edited. I react strongly to people who come as Newbies into a well developed forum, no matter how wild west it gets and starts shooting down a Vendors product. At best it shows bad taste on the part of the thread iniatiator at worst it looks suspicious to many of us here who know that some members of this forum are posting with dual "handles" or "identities". Let's recall that IP addresses are logged by administrators so don't do it. At a lesser level of skullduggery, people are put to posting unflattering remarks about a vendors competetion...it happens. The tone of posts, the verbage used, the syntax, the specific words some posters use is easily noticed in posts by 2 or 3 different logons. So when I see a nasty post, that sounds and looks familliar, I get skeptical.

I still say do something like previous posters suggest. Hey, I've had a bad solenoid...rebuilt it and cool as a cucumber. Works fine. But contact the vendor directly. Please get back to us when you figure out what's up. It may help all of us. That's what this place is for ultimately in my opinion. In the Case of NX Jeremy is extremely helpful. Good luck. No offense meant if everything is on the up and up. Move on please.

Last edited by Macon; 03-11-2006 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:00 PM
Launching!

Well, as an update I have installed the new fuel pistons and all is well so far. I don't think this should be giving us anymore problems. Thanks again to the guy's @ NX !!

Quick Reply: NX Fuel Solenoid Problem