Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pinks/nos

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
I'm thinking about sending them an email to PINKS and ask them not to show people doing this anymore. They've done it a few times and everytime I sort of cring thinking some ricer with a 50 shot is gonna try this and leave the flame on one spot and get owned by the bottle exploding on his ***.
Haha I think I laughed for so long I stopped breathing. I cringe also...Well put. Honestly I am still laughing that made my day.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

i think the bottle heating up and cooling down so fast b/c of the torch would hurt its structure/shape and thickness. i say if you're gonna do nitrous do it right and get all your safety/accesories.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gold Z
I've been going to dragstrips since way before most of you were born and I've never heard of it happening.
Just because people have been doing it for a long time doesnt mean it's a good idea.

There have been a few pinks episodes that showed people torching bottles, people are going to do it, but there's no need to put it on TV for the masses of stupid people.....I will just stay far away. IHRA tracks don't allow it. I will not fill a bottle that has torch marks on it.....no way.

edit: I sent Rich Christensen an e-mail on this subject, I don't know what it'll do but I gave him my .02

Last edited by hondo; 03-25-2006 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

flame on, LOL
Old 03-26-2006, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've searched and I still can't find any evidence of anybody exploding a nitrous bottle by heating it with a torch. I'm still waiting to be convinced.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:57 AM
Teching In

Yep Their Retards
Old 03-26-2006, 07:31 AM
Launching!

I've searched and I still can't find any evidence of anybody exploding a nitrous bottle by heating it with a torch. I'm still waiting to be convinced.
You couldn't have searched very hard. I typed nitrous bottle heating torch and this was the first two hits. It doesn't seem to be a good idea. Do it right, get an approved bottle heater.
http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticle...e-heaters.html
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...es--vt893.html
Old 03-26-2006, 08:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93LS1RX7
UUHHH no they dont
Pulled driectly from Speed TV's website...

Using the setting of a classic 1950’s drag race, PINKS pits contestants in a best three-out-of-five format, with the loser handing over the title (pink slip) to his or her vehicle. The rules are simple: two vehicles show up and drivers negotiate head-start distance in car lengths. The cars line up after they warm up their tires and Christensen starts off each race. After each round, the drivers have the opportunity to re-negotiate lengths. All events are run on approved tracks with safety personnel present.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cyipher

with safety personnel present.
I'm guessing if they're there, they're hiding behind the bleachers. From the idiots with the bottles and torches.
Hawk
Old 03-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Hooper
You couldn't have searched very hard. I typed nitrous bottle heating torch and this was the first two hits. It doesn't seem to be a good idea. Do it right, get an approved bottle heater.
http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticle...e-heaters.html
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...es--vt893.html
Let me start off by saying this little disclaimer. I in no way support heating a bottle by a blow tourch.
However, that failed to do nothing more than say don't do x, because y could happen. Which is what everyone on here is saying. What GoldZ wants is a newspapaer article that says "Idiot rednecks blowthemselves up after heating nitrous bottle with a blow tourch." Maybe some aftermath pics of the bed would be cool, too
Old 03-26-2006, 04:26 PM
Teching In

I would think the pressure disk would burst before a "weak" bottle.

Either way it's not the wisest thing to do, but I have seen it done many of times without an incident.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cyipher

Using the setting of a classic 1950’s drag race, PINKS pits contestants in a best three-out-of-five format, with the loser handing over the title (pink slip) to his or her vehicle. The rules are simple: two vehicles show up and drivers negotiate head-start distance in car lengths. The cars line up after they warm up their tires and Christensen starts off each race. After each round, the drivers have the opportunity to re-negotiate lengths. All events are run on approved tracks with safety personnel present.
Trust me PINKS has ZERO safety folks. They "safety" folks that are present are the track ambulance folks that is it.

I have been on the show twice and my friend is the retarded "technical advisor"
Old 03-26-2006, 08:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The thing is that the torch can creat week spots in the bottle by breaking down the metal makeup. I do not personally know of a bottle exploding from this but I don not want to be the one to find out.LOL
Dave
Old 03-26-2006, 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have bottle heaters in 2 of my cars. As far as all the money that gets dumped into our cars whats the price of a bottle heater? Just another drop in the bucket.Heating a bottle with a torch is just plan stupid. You want to maintain the pressure, not heat it up past the safe point and hope it dosent drop below the psi you want before the race.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:51 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin@NitrousOutlet
I would think the pressure disk would burst before a "weak" bottle.

Either way it's not the wisest thing to do, but I have seen it done many of times without an incident.
http://www.saturnspeed.com/nitrousexplosion.htm

Well that doesn't always happen. This was caused by the guy leaving the heater on for too long, not a torch, but just showing the devastation a bottle explosion can cause. . Just be safe and get a bottle heater or just do anything, but use a torch.

EDIT: This is what the bottle looked like afterwards.
http://www.healthyhome.net/explosionPic11.jpg
Old 03-26-2006, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Isnt that the guy who double stacked the burst discs, which prevented proper "blow off" ???
Old 03-27-2006, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, that was a "rigged" explosion, not an accident. The article leaves out a bunch of info.

I know the safety ***** say that heating your bottle with a torch will cause a small atomic explosion but still no one can come up with even one example of it ever happening........hmmmmm.

FWIW: I use a NX blanket on my bottle.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

old school but it works well
Old 03-27-2006, 09:41 AM
11 Second Club

Just out of curiousity, can anyone document a nitrous bottle blowing up because it was heated by a torch? I've been going to dragstrips since way before most of you were born and I've never heard of it happening. And let's face it, it's a common practice.
I'm with my man here on this one. Do I condone it? No. Have I done it? Yes a long time ago. What some of ya'll are forgetting or were not around to see is that before there were bottle heaters (Kinda like cable tv.) there were those of us that were spraying cars with non-adjustable kits from Cheetah and N.O.S. How do you think the bottle pressure was brought up? Sometimes it was put in the car with the heater on but allot of cars back then didn't have the quality of heat that today’s vehicles have so allot of us would use propane torches to heat the bottles in order to raise the pressure. To those on a tirade about this may want to consider this I can't remember or find a single article of anyone burning through a bottle with a propane torch. Propane torches can weaken the metallurgy of the bottle over time which is certainly not good and thus it makes it an archaic practice at best with today’s technology, but it is effective. Most all of the instances of bottles blowing up are due to the safety valves failing. So to all of those throwing rocks I ask - Do you have your bottle inspected as required? "Pinks" is about street racing and anyone who has been around street racing long enough knows that trying to apply IHRA or NHRA rules to this outlaw style of racing is insane. That is why there are no lights, no real track prepping, etc. This is street racing folks and whether you like it or not they have and always will play by their own rules. Hell, I ran at a 1/8th mile track this weekend that didn’t even have a tree. It had a stage bulb and then a yellow and green bulb that came on at the same time. I was fighting a low 11 second car all the way down the track. Is this stupid, I’m sure that allot of you will jump and down and holler about it but welcome to “street style” racing. I agree that they should at least not be showing it on TV so that some brainchild does end up doing something that may end up hurting or killing himself and then trying to blame it on the show because he saw “some guy” on Pinks do it which would eventually bring more unwanted heat down on our culture. Basically what I am saying is that it is all relative and to each their own but make sure you have your facts together before you start calling someone stupid.

Jim C.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

it would seem easier to get a turkey fryer fill it with water. boil it then dip till it hits the pressure you want. thats what i would to...hell then you can take off the pot and fry some burgers and dogs on a skillet mmmmmmmm