Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous with a Harrop intake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006 | 02:59 PM
FormerVendor

I see what you're saying CAT, I guess I was reading your earlier post wrong. The plate set up would be killer. In the pics it looks like the air horns are removable from the intake just in front of the blades, and if they are then you could build a plate to go there in between the horns and the main part of the intake.
Old 04-12-2006 | 03:10 PM
On The Tree

Thanks a lot for the info guys.
Evan
Old 04-12-2006 | 03:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NXJeremy
The plate set up would be killer. In the pics it looks like the air horns are removable from the intake just in front of the blades, and if they are then you could build a plate to go there in between the horns and the main part of the intake.
anyone hear an echo?!?
Old 04-12-2006 | 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=chris.shea] injector bung style direct port like offered by NOS, nitrous express (nxl kit). This wont work as it raises the height of the injector and the fuel rail will not bolt down. The Harrop fuel rails have longer brackets which hold the rail to the intake. They are not stock!
Old 04-12-2006 | 04:42 PM
FormerVendor

We can plumb a sharp looking directport on that badboy.
Dave
Old 04-12-2006 | 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=Cliff]
Originally Posted by chris.shea
injector bung style direct port like offered by NOS, nitrous express (nxl kit). This wont work as it raises the height of the injector and the fuel rail will not bolt down. The Harrop fuel rails have longer brackets which hold the rail to the intake. They are not stock!
and i stated this too...(read it again) all you would need to fab is 4 fuel rail brackets(1 hours labor?) instead of drilling into the expensive *** harrop. plus im sure the fuel rails are not whats going to give you fitment issues.
Old 04-13-2006 | 12:50 AM
Restricted User

For a clearer picture, look down the throat of this custom horn and see how the tops of the TB are sticking out...thats why I wouldnt use a nozzle in the box!

http://www.thelasershop.net/Corvette/tb/newtb2.jpg

Chris...the simplisity of the bungs I would feel would detract from the statement of this intakes technology. If the intake fit the F body, and I would drill if Dave couldnt come up with 8 mini-plates, just for the total killer pimp factor! Now on a more simple elegant clean looking intake, being less busy, the bungs look right at home. Just my opinion and since there is no way this will fit my F body, I dont have to worry about backing my *** up on drilling into a $4000 intake, but I'd drill it
Old 04-13-2006 | 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=chris.shea]
Originally Posted by Cliff

and i stated this too...(read it again) all you would need to fab is 4 fuel rail brackets(1 hours labor?) instead of drilling into the expensive *** harrop. plus im sure the fuel rails are not whats going to give you fitment issues.
The other issue is, the injector bungs on a NX kit does not fit correctly in the injector holes, therefore someone would have to machine the seats. Personally I would rather have a professional company like (Nitrous Dave) dill the intake instead of messing around with making special brackets for the fuel rails and hoping a machine shop will drill the correct depth for the injectors to sit flush.
Old 04-13-2006 | 09:55 AM
FormerVendor

[QUOTE=Cliff]
Originally Posted by chris.shea
The other issue is, the injector bungs on a NX kit does not fit correctly in the injector holes, therefore someone would have to machine the seats.
I have never seen the NXL injector nozzles not fit correctly on an LSx intake. Please explain. Thank you.

I'm with CAT3, I would definately drill the intake for a direct port. It's just an intake, I don't see why you wouldn't want to drill it.
Old 04-13-2006 | 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My statement is based on observaton. The NX injector we tried did not sit deep enough in the seat to allow the injector to drop into the runner. This was only by visual observation. At the time I did not have a injector to match up the alinement and depth, so I am at this point guessing it will not be correct.
Old 04-13-2006 | 10:54 AM
Restricted User

Cliff, your correct. The NXL Bung occupies the area that the fuel inj. would occupy, so physics says the injector has to sit somewhere other than into the runner (which really doesnt do that on stock intakes either, but we'll play the symantics game here for a moment). The fuel Inj sits into the machined pocket of the NXL Bung, and although that raises the inj .5" or whatever, it has no effect on fuel atomization, distribution, idle quality or anything else.... I have used the NXL and have much experience with the injectors in relationship to the NXL Bung.

Chris, I got that you would rather use the NXL Bung rather drill a $4000 intake... justify why you would put nitrous on a $40,000+ corvette, its only money baby! Yes lots of people drag race vettes, and modify the hell out of them surely they do. However, if done with care, attention to detail and some skilled craftsmanship, the drilled, tapped and DP'd Harrop would be a working piece of art in addition to the high tech car its applied to!

Still think Dave or Jeremy needs to get on the ball about making me 8 mini-plates That would be my motivation for buying the intake and MAKING it fit on my car! That $4000 intake would justify "altering" the location of other things in order to assist it in fitting
Old 04-13-2006 | 10:54 AM
FormerVendor

I see what you mean. Of course the NXL nozzle (or any injector spacer type nozzle) is going to raise the fuel injector up away from the runner. It has to in order to allow enough space for the fuel and nitrous to be sprayed into the runner. If you machined the NXL nozzle to sit the fuel injector deeper or closer to the runner, then you run the high risk of blocking the points at which the fuel and nitrous are sprayed from.

Raising the fuel injectors via the NXL nozzles has not shown to hurt performance in either daily driving or max effort conditions.
Old 04-13-2006 | 10:58 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by CAT3
Chris, I got that you would rather use the NXL Bung rather drill a $4000 intake... justify why you would put nitrous on a $40,000+ corvette, its only money baby! Yes lots of people drag race vettes, and modify the hell out of them surely they do. However, if done with care, attention to detail and some skilled craftsmanship, the drilled, tapped and DP'd Harrop would be a working piece of art in addition to the high tech car its applied to!

Still think Dave or Jeremy needs to get on the ball about making me 8 mini-plates That would be my motivation for buying the intake and MAKING it fit on my car! That $4000 intake would justify "altering" the location of other things in order to assist it in fitting
Exactly my point. If you can afford that intake and the car/engine that it will be going on, then what's a little drilling here and there on it? It would definately enhance the apparence of it.

Charlie, you get one of these and send it to me and we'll definately get you some plates for it
Old 04-13-2006 | 11:09 AM
Restricted User

Jeremy, easy now, lets not push me into sleeping on the couch......again I will be doing some research with Harrop on this intake, got a few questions to ask them and their techs, if all is good and they can help me out I may get one. If it never makes it onto my car, it will be an awesome art display housed in a glass coffee table!
Old 04-13-2006 | 11:35 AM
FormerVendor

Here's the Kinsler Fuel Injection manifold for the LS1. It's a little tall, but it will definately fit an LS1 and it would be a hell of alot easier to plumb a direct port on. The only issue would be that either you will need a pretty tall hood, or you will need a hole in the hood for the stacks. It would also look alot better if the entire thing was polished, but I like it anyway.
Old 04-13-2006 | 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The Kinsler looks like a great piece for a hot rod but would be a pain for our f-bodies.
Old 04-13-2006 | 12:56 PM
FormerVendor

It would look a little out of place on an F-body or a vette, but definetaly something different. I'm actually hoping that they'll build an LSx version of this intake. I like the looks of this one better than the other, and I think it would fit alot easier on the F-bodies, vettes, and GTO's. Maybe even shorten the runners up just a little to make the overall height of the intake a little shorter.

Old 04-13-2006 | 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CAT3
Chris, I got that you would rather use the NXL Bung rather drill a $4000 intake... justify why you would put nitrous on a $40,000+ corvette, its only money baby!
yea i get ya but if money was no option id have 8 tiny plates made up is this really the "best" n/a intake system for the lsx world?

who said i wasnt putting nitrous on the vette? i order my stuff today
Old 04-13-2006 | 08:31 PM
Restricted User

Chris, I heard you were ordering it Best NA intake.....havent seen too many comparisons, but this does flow damn nice. Depends on the cubic inch and how radical it is, how much air it needs basically I guess.

Quick Reply: Nitrous with a Harrop intake?