Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing tuner wiring question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question timing tuner wiring question?

I'm wiring up my friends car. Right now everything works perfect. He has the NOS 5177 kit in his car and running a WS. Now from the nitrous relay the timing tuner gets hooked up inline with the 12v switched source coming in, that is the easy part. Now we have the WS hookup, the fact that the ground wire coing out of the other side of the switched 12v relay is going to the WS. The WS in turn activates and puts it to ground. My question is according to the timing tuner the ground wire is supposed to be wired into the timing tuner which in turn puts the power to ground. If so then I lose the function of the WS. No do I just put the timing tuner wire to ground? That way it still works along with the WS? I hope I made this clear enough, not sure. There is a white wire from the timing tuner which gets spliced in with the switched 12v, and the gray wire is supposed to be for the grouns side of the relay. If this makes any sense, please help me out. If not tell me and I will get back. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2006, 04:58 PM
FormerVendor

Are you trying to use the TT to pull timing and then use another window switch, instead of using the TT built in window switch?

Matt
Old 04-19-2006, 05:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt@HSW
Are you trying to use the TT to pull timing and then use another window switch, instead of using the TT built in window switch?

Matt

I'm about to order the TT from you also Matt and I was wondering about this also b/c I too have a MSD window switch.

I guess the TT supplies ground when its armed just like the WS huh? I was hoping it would work on the + side instead of the ground. Do you have any shematics of the TT wiring?

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

Matt
yeah, using another window switch
Old 04-19-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Exactly what Letsndy said, its actually his car.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is it better just to use the timing tuner's internal window switch and get rid of the other WS? Can it be hooked up with the other WS, or is that just stupid to do? Thanks
Old 04-19-2006, 10:41 PM
FormerVendor

I've never tried to install a TT with another window switch, but I know there has been a few that have tried, but never successfully to the best of my knowledge.

If possible make it easy on yourselves and just use the integrated WS in the TT.

Matt
Old 04-20-2006, 09:14 AM
11 Second Club

anyone?????
Old 04-20-2006, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

He can use the internal WS on the TT but he will lose the gear lock out on the nitrous. He needs the gearlock out for not to spray in first.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:26 PM
FormerVendor

Okay, try at your own risk, might work, might be a waste of time. Have the output of the second window switch trigger a relay and pass a 12V through it. Hook the output of that relay up to the white wire of the TT. You'll also hook the wire that’s coming out of the relay to a second relay that the TT triggers and uses to activate the solenoids, like in the TT wiring diagram. Set the TT RPM setting to 0 (none) and it may work.

Matt
Old 04-20-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Matt, how about this. The two wires white 12v reference and the gray wire ground from relay. Not even use the gray wire. Use the white wire and connect just like the wiring diagram says, splice after the activation switch and WOT switch. That way it still gets the 12v signal saying that the Nitrous is activated and which in turn tells the TT that it has been activated and which turns on the nitrous retard feature. Seems like to me the only thing that the gray wire does is goes to the TT and inside switches the ground only.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:04 PM
FormerVendor

The TT has to trigger something or the retard feature won't work. If you don't want it to trigger the relay (to activate the solenoids) you could use a resistor (1K, 1/2 watt), relay, or light between the white and gray wires.

Matt
Old 04-20-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Matt I'll try that. Is there anyway that I can test it to make sure it works without actually running the car and spraying the nitrous? Just activate the nitrous and hold down the WOT switch. Any light that will indicate that it is working properly?
Old 04-20-2006, 09:49 PM
FormerVendor

It's going to be real tricky because of the additional window switch. The easiest way to test (and to make sure it is pulling timing) might be to remove the nozzle from the vehicle. Make sure the N2O bottle is closed and have two people help out. Have one hold the nozzle into a bucket (be careful as fuel will spray out of the nozzle) and a second person in the vehicle. Open the lid to the timing tuner and start the vehicle. Arm the N2O system and have someone start to rev it up to the RPM of the window switch. You can set it lower, to like 2000 rpms for the test, and then just put the original settings back in when you're done. Tap the WOT switch a few times and see if the red led is lighting up on the timing tuner. You could also just attach a ground to the relay like the window switch would with the system armed and hit the WOT switch and see if the red led comes on.

Matt
Old 04-21-2006, 07:43 AM
10 Second Club

It's going to be real tricky because of the additional window switch. The easiest way to test (and to make sure it is pulling timing) might be to remove the nozzle from the vehicle. Make sure the N2O bottle is closed and have two people help out. Have one hold the nozzle into a bucket (be careful as fuel will spray out of the nozzle) and a second person in the vehicle. Open the lid to the timing tuner and start the vehicle. Arm the N2O system and have someone start to rev it up to the RPM of the window switch. You can set it lower, to like 2000 rpms for the test, and then just put the original settings back in when you're done. Tap the WOT switch a few times and see if the red led is lighting up on the timing tuner. You could also just attach a ground to the relay like the window switch would with the system armed and hit the WOT switch and see if the red led comes on.

Matt
Sorry to butt in on this thread again but I have a question for you Matt. I plan on getting rid of my MSD digital window switch once I get the TT from you but what I'm curious about is where are people mounting them? I'd like to mount the TT box somewhere inside the car where I can see the the led on the TT so once the N2O is armed I have peice of mind that everything is working properly, will this work? Is there a better way to do this?
Old 04-21-2006, 08:57 AM
FormerVendor

You could extend the harness that comes with it and install it in the vehicle. The harness length that comes with the units is long enough to mount on the pass. side right around the battery (on top of it actually). The LED lights are inside the unit, so if you want to actually see them you'll have to remove the cover.

Matt

Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER
Sorry to butt in on this thread again but I have a question for you Matt. I plan on getting rid of my MSD digital window switch once I get the TT from you but what I'm curious about is where are people mounting them? I'd like to mount the TT box somewhere inside the car where I can see the the led on the TT so once the N2O is armed I have peice of mind that everything is working properly, will this work? Is there a better way to do this?
Old 04-24-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks matt. I will try and let u know.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:29 AM
BMN
TECH Apprentice

OK jumped in a little late here and I just glanced through the post so: who's looking to hook what to what?

It looks like one or several folks want to use there adjustable window switch and a TT to pull the timming(but not use the TT built in window switch feature)

I've drawn this up before. Very simple. I'll go do a search.

Last edited by BMN; 04-25-2006 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:40 AM
BMN
TECH Apprentice

Hmmm, looks like that was one for a TT and a maximizer. I'll draw up another one. Who has a copy of the TT directions so I can label the wire colors and stuff?
Old 04-25-2006, 09:59 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks Matt!

Quick Reply: timing tuner wiring question?