66.10%
DRY
33.90%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Wet Or Dry?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006 | 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

Well bang for your buck would most likely be a dry kit for you, but if you want the most power potential down the road.. you may want to consider an entry level wet kit. We'd be happy to answer any questions that you may have.
Old 07-06-2006 | 04:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

i ran a 125 shot with the NOS dry kit all summer and never had any problemns,i'll never change it.
Old 07-07-2006 | 12:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jorgez28
Butour intake manifolds are not made to run liqued so then a wet kit would not send gasoline all the way back to the last cylinders. so I say dry

Funny how there is almost always oil in ls intakes from pcv and reversion with they cant handle fuel ging through them?????

My vote for wet, you dont rely on maxing your injectors or relying on your maf (on a dry setup) which does give a lean spike at the beginning of the run. thats all it takes. Some cobra guys are running post maf dry and adding fuel in the program to elim. the lean spike but a 50 shot through a blower in this setup will be more like 150 shot.
Old 07-07-2006 | 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by fotoboy
Funny how there is almost always oil in ls intakes from pcv and reversion with they cant handle fuel ging through them?????
That's why if you ever take your throttle body off, you'll see/feel the oil puddling in the intake. Many, many sources admit the puddling issue, however, some manufactures will claim it doesn't exist (keep wet sales up). I say BS on the dosen't exist claim.

My vote for wet, you dont rely on maxing your injectors or relying on your maf (on a dry setup) which does give a lean spike at the beginning of the run. thats all it takes. Some cobra guys are running post maf dry and adding fuel in the program to elim. the lean spike but a 50 shot through a blower in this setup will be more like 150 shot.
Why would you rely on maxing out your injectors, that's like saying on a wet kit you'll max out your fuel pump. Both are nonsense statements, and anyone with any knowledge at all will know when injectors or fuel pumps need addressing. Lean spikes can happen with wet or dry hits, and this is mostly a tuning issue and both styles can be set-up to eliminate lean spikes. With that said, if lean spike is less tha a second (which most are if you look at a dyno print out) it is nothing to worry about and will cause no issues (wet or dry).
Not trying to bust your *****, but rather clarifing. Also, I am not against running wet kits, as I have run more wet kits than dry. Just want the correct understandable info presented.
Robert
Old 07-09-2006 | 11:24 AM
Restricted User

I like Beer's answer....why no both option? Of course you said best bang for the buck and without a doubt it is dry, $ per $, you cannot get any better in the short run. Now looking long term, heavy nitrous using, a custom one off twin turbo may end up being cheaper
The BS about lean spikes is laughable. I seen a much worse lean spike tapping fuel off the rail, which most wet users do, then I have ever seen dry! Not to say the .3 sec of lean spike doesnt exist, it does.
There has been so many beat to death discussions on the wet vs dry debate. Bottom line, I personally think they are equal. There, I said it, EQUAL. Where dry is cheaper and easier, wet makes more torque....blah blah blah blah...
Old 07-09-2006 | 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dry guy here i like dry over wet just my prefference
BTLFEDSS
Old 07-09-2006 | 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

+1 for dry just preference.
It is true multiport EFI intakes are made to flow air. If you have ever seen the inside of say, a new LS7 intake, you would wonder how a mixture could ever stay together to make the turn into the runners.
Old 07-09-2006 | 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Robert56
Not trying to bust your *****, but rather clarifing. Also, I am not against running wet kits, as I have run more wet kits than dry. Just want the correct understandable info presented.
Robert
I know of the puddling issues, I didnt say it doesnt happen, but Ive also seen backfires from direct inject systems. THere are +/- with both systems. Stock fuel systems on vettes can handle more rwhp than stock injectors can, I didnt need to change my injectors with my na setup, that is why I chose wet, plus most people that run nos dont run af widebands do they dont know if they are getting a lean spike so they do see the signs. A wet setup doesnt rely on injectors and having dataloged my setup on the bottle and off I know my setup is as safe as I can get. I dissagree with the statement than a leanspike of less than 1 sec cannot do damage, that is a bs statement. on stock injectors and a h/c setup a dry setup will not sustain a proper af and go lean because a dry relys on injectors and maf for proper af ratio

I would like this to be and stay a friendly debate
Old 07-09-2006 | 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

Stock fuel systems on vettes can handle more rwhp than stock injectors can,
what do you mean by this?
Old 07-09-2006 | 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hondo
what do you mean by this?

stock fuel pumps are good in my experiences to 550 rwhp

stock injectors are good to about 450 rwhp
Old 07-10-2006 | 12:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

I know of the puddling issues, I didnt say it doesnt happen, but Ive also seen backfires from direct inject systems.
Are you talking direct port? this is a standard wet vs dry thread. When is the last time you saw a backfire and intake explosion with said intake and hood being launched? I will tell you, never, because it dosen't happen dry. I have been stating for years, try to find someone who has hurt there motor running a dry hit, you know what, no takers.
THere are +/- with both systems.
True, but if you really sit down and list all the variables, surely you will see that a wet hit has many, many more scenerios where damage can be done.
Stock fuel systems on vettes can handle more rwhp than stock injectors can, I didnt need to change my injectors with my na setup, that is why I chose wet, plus most people that run nos dont run af widebands do they dont know if they are getting a lean spike so they do see the signs.
You guys running your wet hits off the rail are getting bigger longer lean spikes than the dry hits.
A wet setup doesnt rely on injectors and having dataloged my setup on the bottle and off I know my setup is as safe as I can get.
One thing that surely will make it safer, drop the fuel noid and go dry.
I dissagree with the statement than a leanspike of less than 1 sec cannot do damage, that is a bs statement.
It's true my friend, it's true.
on stock injectors and a h/c setup a dry setup will not sustain a proper af and go lean because a dry relys on injectors and maf for proper af ratio
If your hit matches your injectors you will not be going lean if you have your a/f set where you want it. As a matter of fact, a dry hit will maintain your projected a/f all the way till the bottle is empty, or as pressure goes down. this is done with the smart MAF (reads density and velocity). A wet kit can not do this becuse you are using a static mechanical jet.

I would like this to be and stay a friendly debate
Allways, I may give ya a little hard time, but nothing personal, just my M/O.
Robert
Old 07-10-2006 | 01:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

stock fuel pumps are good in my experiences to 550 rwhp

stock injectors are good to about 450 rwhp
True, basically. I did get 480rwhp and 5xx torque out of my stock 28lb injectors, hehehehe, but would not rec this.
Robert
Old 07-10-2006 | 11:33 AM
Launching!

I would have to agree with Robert on what he said about dry kits not causing as many
problems. After over 5 years of tech support for nitrous I have talked to far more people that have had manifold backfires with wet kits than have had problems with dry kits. It seems the problems related to dry kits all stem from people going beyond the limits of the kit was designed for or imporper install. Now that being said wet kits are a proven technology that can work great, and while some manifolds are better at it than others most all EFI manifolds will have issues flowing large amounts of fuel and distributing it evenly.
Old 07-10-2006 | 02:45 PM
TECH Junkie

this is a n00b question, as i am uneducated with regard to n2o use...which explains my attendance.

how do you tune a car for a dry shot that's running an sd tune (no maf..)?
Old 07-11-2006 | 12:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by s346k
this is a n00b question, as i am uneducated with regard to n2o use...which explains my attendance.

how do you tune a car for a dry shot that's running an sd tune (no maf..)?
Check for the EFI Live thread, they have something in the tune that's new. Another way is to spike the fuel pressure.
HP Tuner, IAT vs Power Adder will do the job.
There are other ways also.
Robert
Old 07-11-2006 | 01:21 AM
TECH Addict

I just got the EFI Scan, man I can't wait to get home and log, I want to up my dry shot, see what I can do with my measly 26 pound injectors...

I got 466 HP and 5XX torque on the stock LS1 Vette Fuel pump (dry/wet combo) combo, pulled some timing with a predator.

The new OS for the EFITune basically uses the valet PCM wire to force the use of modified fuel and timing tables. the PCM valet mode works when the valet PCM wire is grounded, so set up that wire on the Nitrous noid relay, when the noid grounds, the Valet Mode is active and it switches to the new tables (or you can just use a toggle to ground it out).
Old 07-11-2006 | 01:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by srsnow
After over 5 years of tech support for nitrous I have talked to far more people that have had manifold backfires with wet kits than have had problems with dry kits. It seems the problems related to dry kits all stem from people going beyond the limits of the kit was designed for or imporper install.
Couldn't agree more.