Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need To Beat 01 Cobra W/kb!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need To Beat 01 Cobra W/kb!!

OK, I have a 99 Z Vert A4with only lid and LM2 cat-back, and a recently added NX 150 wet shot with FJO controller. I recently ran my brother's 99 GT with a procharger and took it. However ther is another guy we work with who will be the next threat (the 3 of us are very competitive, until my N2O I didn't have a chance.) He has an 01 cobra vert and I just got this e-mail from him at work :::
no, its an 01, its the teeny, tiny baby kb, 1.7 liter displacement,
slightly bigger than the eaton on the 03, way more efficient than an eaton
on the 03.....my car prolly runs like a stock 03 would, maybe a little
better.

The KB 2003 Cobras are a force to be reckoned with, but I'm not one of
them////,,,,,

Little tricks.???
I'm not sure I know what you mean..........drag radials, yes, aftermarket
shifter, yes, line locks, yes, new posi, solid axle, gears, yes,
supercharger, yes,, race gas, probably.....

Anyways, I really do not want to lose this race (especially as I am the only ls1 out of 2 stang's!) I ran a 12.78@113.3 sunday and I'm not sure if that will be enough. I had the FJO programmed from 3000-5800 but slowly ramping from 25% to 100%. I will definitely program atarting at about 50% and ramping up more aggressively, any other ideas? I am running fuzion ZRi street tires, which have hooked very well, but my 60ft was 2.122.

Please help me defend the LS1 against these 4.6's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What are my chances and any ideas for me? I don't have the funds for DR's before we race.......
Old 07-05-2006, 09:23 PM
10 Second Club

Turn the progressive controller off or almost off. You don't need to be ramping that small of hit.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if FJOs unit has different ramp charts/graphs based on what gear you're in, but the Maximizer II can. I always eased in on 1st gear for traction and set it to 100% throughout the RPM on 2nd gear and up. That's how I'd roll. I'd also up the shot, but I like living on the edge.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry, but the Cobra is likely going to eat you up (looking at your said time). Similar Cobra's in my area run mid 11's easy. I have run many of them many times. you might want to think about getting a Z06 on the giggle gas, then you surely will hand them thier lunch.
Robert
Old 07-06-2006, 02:00 AM
Launching!

go buy nittos right now and turn the progressive controller off!!!!!!!!!

you put a 150 shot jets in the kit(if not do so)? did you have it tuned? or atleast retard the timing and put new plugs in the car?

if you can get a set of nittos before you race him. this is how it has to go down for you to beat him. RACE FROM A STOP. since you dont have a converter when you guys go as SOON as the car starts moving SPRAY it and you should be able to hold him off.

oh and if your car only put down 360 on the nitrous you dont have 150 jets in there because that means you would have to only make about 260 on the motor and ive never seen a ls1 dyno that low
Old 07-06-2006, 04:06 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by whiteLS1
go buy nittos right now and turn the progressive controller off!!!!!!!!!

you put a 150 shot jets in the kit(if not do so)? did you have it tuned? or atleast retard the timing and put new plugs in the car?

if you can get a set of nittos before you race him. this is how it has to go down for you to beat him. RACE FROM A STOP. since you dont have a converter when you guys go as SOON as the car starts moving SPRAY it and you should be able to hold him off.

oh and if your car only put down 360 on the nitrous you dont have 150 jets in there because that means you would have to only make about 260 on the motor and ive never seen a ls1 dyno that low
He's right! You should be putting down about 425 to the wheels. And unless that cobra has a built short block, he aint going to be able to put that much boost to the motor. So you have that going for you.

You may have a chance depending on how much nitrous you are really spraying. A nitrous LS1 should be able to beat a stock 03 cobra and that is what this guy is telling you his car is compared to!

But your advantage will be from a dig, and his will be from a roll!
Old 07-06-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i use to race an 03 kenne bell cobra that was pushin a little over 550rwhp, i would always beat him.. i had 525rwhp with nx wet kit.. pull right from the beginning it would seem like it would almost catch up but then started pulling on him.. by the way i had 4.10 gears with nittos and never had that much of a problem hooking up.. well always started of high second so no big deal. i say turn of the fjo completely.. nevermind i just read your hole intro and you have street tires.. damn your crazy get some kind of tires before you spin out....
Old 07-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Teching In

Follow my advice below, and the cobra will have a hard time catching up.

1. Go get a nice stall (3200ish)
2. Some BFG or mickey DR's
3. Turn off the damn controller, its a waste
4. Run from a dig, hit the spray at ~20mph, and hang on

The n2o would also like some LT's to get that burnt gas out a little faster.

Also, now that you put this "what do i need to beat _____" thread on this board you are required under penalty of death to report back with results, win or lose.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If the cobra guy can drive then dont get upset if he beats you ....He does have a kb so he probally has long tubes, and all the other goodies to make it roll to....In his e-mail he says he has a solid axle, gear, and drag radials so he more than likely will hook and be gone.....since he did swap from IRS to live axle im gonna say he probally has his car set up pretty well and makes 470 or more rwhp so I say with what you ran at the track you will fall victom to him by 3-4 car lenths.......Keep us posted and good luck
Old 07-06-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

i also say bum some funds and get some mt drag radials and a set of ngk tr6 plugs if you don't allready have them. on a 150 shot out of the hole and a lid only i saw an a4 run 7.20s at 97 mph in 1/8 th on the stock vert so the power will definitely be there if you can hook it.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the replies. We were e-mailing back and forth today at work, Here is what he said:::

My cobra has a funky litle blip in the tune, and before I put it all on the
line, I want Mike to give it the once over. He can't get me in until the
13th, so our little match up will have to wait.

My blip is probably in the relay that activates the Kenne Bell boost a
pump. That KB thing is supposed to trick the mustang fuel pump to work
overtime, but with mine, I get about 1 second of ZERO fuel pressure, and a
big motor bog, so it needs looked at...

I probably should have taken care of it sooner, but even with it I could
take out an LS1 that wasn't whiffing the N20, but now I guess I need it
fixed.
Only mod there that adds power is the supercharger...

13 .0xxxxxxx at 106 107

OK, maybe 12.80s I didnt have a clean run last year, I would either bog
because of the glitch in the tune, or timing was getting pulled by the
computer because I was knocking (detonation) either from too much heat, or
too little octane....
That really doesn't affect the mph a whole lot though...

I know he will change pulleys, or do something while he is getting his tune, He's just like that, and I really do think he has stock exhaust. He dosen't know I am going to take the progression off of my FJO and have a full bottle (my last runs were about 1/2 bottle, no idea of the pressure because they forgot to put the gauge on!))
I think I can take him, but we'll have to wait until sunday the 16th to see.

FYI... I did dyno at 361 with the 150 jets, but that was with the FJO progressing... and on a mustang dyno.. they said a dynojet typically shows 15% more, which would have put me at 415rwhp. The place I had the kit put in is not really a GM friendly place, but there isn't one in town, and they have the best rep for mods. They really like stangs, their big project is a v6 stang turbo'd that runs mid 11's and has about 455 rwhp.....
Old 07-06-2006, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Am I the only one who thinks a 12.78 will not beat a KB Cobra, with all the launching goodies? Come on, that Cobra is going to blow that time away. Better wait till you get some of the mods suggested.
Robert
Old 07-06-2006, 10:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
Am I the only one who thinks a 12.78 will not beat a KB Cobra, with all the launching goodies? Come on, that Cobra is going to blow that time away. Better wait till you get some of the mods suggested.
Robert

You must have missed the part where it was pointed out that it is a small KB and not an 03/04 cobra.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Teching In

Robert
Is is the 01 cobra, not the 03+, and he did say he runs high 12's also. I remember and he did run in the 12's last year, I just wasn't sure high or low 12's... I am looking for tips to edge my time up, and adjusting the FJO to 100% seems like the best idea. I have had DR's and a stall in mind, but I daily drive this car as well. We are in Erie, PA. I'm not sure if it's elevation or what (it's about 1500 ft above sea level at the track) but that's the times we ran.

I do have the tr6 plugs gapped at .38 and a FPSS. I read a lot on here before I got the N2O kit. Any thank you to everyone for the advise so I knew what to get with the kit to keep my car safe and running right!
I', not sure how, but with the Fuzion tires and a good burnout, and the window at 3k, I haven't had problems with traction at all.

About spraying at 20mph, I thought it wasn't a good idea to spray before 3,000 RPM. I'm not sure what RPM I'm doing 20 at, but I don't want to damage anything if I can help it.

I will definitely keep everyone posted after we race on the 16th!
Old 07-07-2006, 01:01 AM
10 Second Club

Robert
I'd have to agree with Hocky! The 01 Cobra does not have a forged motor like the 03/04 does. So the fact that he has a KB means he can't run nearly the boost a 03/04 cobra can.

That cobra would get beat by your car OFF the juice!
Old 07-07-2006, 02:26 AM
Teching In

About spraying at 20mph, I thought it wasn't a good idea to spray before 3,000 RPM. I'm not sure what RPM I'm doing 20 at, but I don't want to damage anything if I can help it.
I have a window switch set from 3200 to 5800, so its ok. If you dont have a window switch its a good bit of saftey gear to look into.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The 01 cobra should be running mid/low 13's stock.....so with the addition of live axle, gears, dr's, kb(even though 1.7 still more efficient than stock 03/04 blower), and no telling what other skeletons he is hiding from you he should be low 12's/high 11's..... he is saying he will probally be on race gas which more than likely means more boost as well. I hate to disagree with people here but im gonna say the cobra is a faster car and should win....however that does not mean he can drive it
Old 07-07-2006, 06:37 AM
TECH Junkie

I agree with what has been said here. Get some good tires (drag radials) and turn that progressive OFF! A full 150 shot will add 14 or more mph to your NA trap speed, and your times will fall....

I believe the Cobra will give you an excellent run, because it sounds like he has that thing setup to hook....You must do the same. Your NA trap speeds seem very low for an Ls1....My 99Z28 ran 107mph bonestock, and 118mph on a 100 hit... What altitude did you run those times at?

Last edited by cantdrv65; 07-07-2006 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rick99HuggerZvert
He suggested you get a 3200 stall too...THat means at no point in your run should you be below 3k...Even off the line.

My buddy had an SS with a lid and a cutout, and went 11.50-11.70s all day long on a 150 shot and d/r's. He said you can't really spray it until you hit 2nd(in an a4 car) cause it will just blow the tires away...But he said when you spray it in second, the thing just flies.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
My 99Z28 ran 107mph bonestock, and 118mph on a 100 hit... What altitude did you run those times at?
My 160k mile 99 Z did 104.9 missing 3rd and 4th(crappy hydraulics wouldn't let it into gear on the first try). The one good run I got in with the car was a 13.38 @ 106.xx...

If you're going 12.8s with that 150 shot, somethings very wrong. Make sure it's at 950-1000 psi when you're spraying and get rid of the controller. With that controller and a cold bottle, you're probably only getting 75hp at best.