Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you guys have against ZEX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 12:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the zex kits use soft aluminum and parts cant be torqued down as hard, i know of 2 people who broke MULTIPLE parts of their zex kit
Old 07-11-2006, 12:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing I have against ZEX is the gay "Import Purple".
Robert
Old 07-11-2006, 01:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Robert56
The only thing I have against ZEX is the gay "Import Purple".
Robert
same here i dont personally own it so i wont knock it.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

eh I'm going to run a 100 dry kit on my LT1, I suppose I'm only going to spray one weekend a month though so no biggie. Yeah I'm thinking of getting the black bottle blanket or hiding the bottle in a bookbag, the purple is kind of retarded.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS144
I agree and I have zex all my friends have other kits and there kits blow mine out of the water.
in what way do theirs blow your out of the water?
Old 07-11-2006, 01:14 PM
12 Second Club

Well it is also easier to let your system grow or add a second stage with the other big name companies. This could also be another reason people don't like it. Plus all the other brands we f-body people use have been proven over & over & over on our cars. Their quality has been proven also, as well as track & dyno sheets to back the systems up.

Anyone with a Zex kit want to post dyno sheets againt a NX, Dynotune, HSW or NOS brand kit of the same size/type shot?? This could end the debate right now. Lets get hard proof of how the kit compares to other major vendors. This will eliminate the he said/she said bullshit.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think TNT is the best kit, hands down. NX is a second favorite of mine. I've wanted a TNT kit for a while, and found a good deal on one so I got it.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

My thoughts, Main reasons
They were not marketed to the LS1 crowd until the last couple of years. This gave NX, NOS, and others the time to gain popularity, and get ahold of a great market.
The early years were marketed towards the Import crowd. So if you got a kit your buddies would rag on you for buying a ricer kit.
And the color. I have found the LS1 or really domestic world likes the look of black parts. Timeless, sure! another color out of the norm is great from time to time , but over the long haul fads or trends just FADE away.
Give them a little more time and I am sure you will see more and more kits on peoples cars.

Ricky
Old 07-11-2006, 01:56 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

I've been turned off by those kits since they first came out. They were only for imports and looked cheezy. I never looked at them again. I like NX. They rebuild their selenoids, work well, and use top notch parts. I've installed and/or been around alot of different kits on my cars and friends cars and never ran into little bs issues with NX. Gotta go with what you know works.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hennytime
the zex kits use soft aluminum and parts cant be torqued down as hard, i know of 2 people who broke MULTIPLE parts of their zex kit
You shouldn't have to "torque" down a true AN fitting. Really the only reason you would have to is if they were the wrong fitting SAE onto an AN or if the surface had a nick or gouge in it. AN fittings are 37.5 degree if you try and make that seal to a 45 degree then you may have to "torque" on it to get the interference fit to seal.

Last edited by srsnow; 07-11-2006 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:48 PM
Teching In

honestly, having everything in one self contained box just makes me nervous. might just be my nature, I prefer to set everything up myself so I know exactly what's going on and can easily diagnose and fix problems. plus it doesn't seem very upgradeable.

I don't know anyone who has had any problems with zex, I just prefer to spend a little more money and get exactly what I want.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:19 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The fact that the solenoids in a zex kit are smaller then mouse nuts is reason right there that when I do finally take the plunge and do a nitrous setup a zex kit won'e even be a consideration.

The solenoids and the jets are the 2 most important parts of a nitrous setup, that and proper placment of the nozzle. 2 of the 3 with zex are by far inferior to the other manufacturers out there (nx, nos, tnt, speedtech, cold fusion for example, in no specific order) The 3rd, nozzle placment, is up to the installer, and can be done right, or wrong, with any kit.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I love the purple, and my kit looks great and is working just fine, gots plenty of punch out of it.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Junkie

in a nutshell?
the 'noids are too small... a 50 shot may be huge on a smaller motor, but with an LS1, the nitrous world STARTS at 100 shots.. and thats 100 at teh rear wheels... in otherwords, 115 to 130 in the ricer world.. depending on who you ask.

the marketing is toward the show and import crowd. its hard to inspire confidence to RACERS when you sell 12 kinds of show purges, and not much race stuff.

its purple. PURPLE.

their all in one box concept is sound. matter of fact, if you look at alot of the smaller nitrous devices out there, they're the same thing. only diff is, the noids are not in the same box. but the way they market it makes people think they have this "box" that is one part... sure you can take the box apart (voiding a warranty) and then dis assemble the noid.... but then what? get out the dial caliper, measure, and track down the part you need in a industrial catalog? call zex and ask for a noid.... they'll ask why you took their box apart.
meanwhile i have a overkill large noid, with no problems with huge shots, and no problem if my bottle pressure goes overboard a tad... and when i have a problem, i can take it apart, or send it off, and have it taken care of ASAP. i can even troubleshoot the system. there is no "black box"

but the MAIN reason you will not hear about it here, is that its not marketed well toward domestic racers. couple that with the usual contempt racers have for ricers it IS marketed for, and you'll have alot of people who just dont like zex.

also, the bottle is purple.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i already ordered my zex kit before i saw this hatred for it.. got it today. what's color matter if its going in the spare tire area? lol .. i also didnt like the idea of nitrous in any of my cars, till i heard all of you raving about the ls1's loving it so much.. but for me this kits great. i only want it for very light use and no wear and tear on the engine plus it was the cheapest kit by over 100$. as for color ... all my parts are going to be hidden as well as they can and i do have access to paint . as for performance i dont care as long as it adds some. now all i need is to go buy some plugs and find some place to get the bottle filled. id be happy to dyno my car just to see how it compares, but i live in south jersey and ive never even seen a dyno in person.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:53 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00454sscamaro
as for performance i dont care as long as it adds some.
Why the hell even waste your money then???

Anyone who is serious about their car, wants to get top performance for their car out of the parts they put on. I would rather spend the extra $150 or so to get a LS1 performance proven & tested system. You know it has noids built to handle the amount of nitrous abuse most LS1 nitrous users will put a kit through.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Color And shot size capability.
Hawk
Old 07-12-2006, 09:58 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Why the hell even waste your money then???

Anyone who is serious about their car, wants to get top performance for their car out of the parts they put on. I would rather spend the extra $150 or so to get a LS1 performance proven & tested system. You know it has noids built to handle the amount of nitrous abuse most LS1 nitrous users will put a kit through.
You can get a 150whp shot out of the standard zex kit. That is as far as it'll go, though. Most never go beyond that, so for many its power delivery ability doesn't really matter.

Here is the solution to a harder shot with a zex based set up:
Old 07-12-2006, 11:12 AM
10 Second Club

The only thing I have against the "Zex in a Box" is that you can get much nicer stuff from some of our sponsors for the same amount of money.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:51 PM
11 Second Club

I have the all in a box Zex Kit. For a newby nitrous set up it was not too bad. Clean and easy install. Gains at the track with a 100 shot was from 11.8@115 to 10.9@125. That was with around 850 bottle pressure also. The thing about the kit it does not give you the room to upgrade your system like the NX, dynotune, etc. As for the purple it is pretty ugly but there are ways around that. The only purple you see on my setup is the bottle opener. Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails What do you guys have against ZEX?-ls1bottle.jpg   What do you guys have against ZEX?-ls1solenoids.jpg   What do you guys have against ZEX?-ls1solenoids1.jpg   What do you guys have against ZEX?-ls1nozzle.jpg  

Quick Reply: What do you guys have against ZEX?