Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you guys have against ZEX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey! Some of my TNT kit hardware is purple, but I am secure enough in my manhood not to hate!
Old 07-16-2006, 04:07 PM
Teching In

I see nobody has any real reason to hate ZEX except for the fact that

1. Purple Bottle...big deal

2. Some Bullshit about smaller Solenoids....well if you have an NX or NOS kit and you want a big-shot you have to get bigger solenoids anyway...so that's silly.

3. Solenoids in a box = melted components....another silly explanation....the heat inside the damn motor doesn't get hot enough to melt metal.....if that was the case my exhaust manifolds would've melted off...lol

I guess it comes down to preference...and preference seems to be determined by availability and convenience.....

NX and NOS kits are available for LS1's with the convenience of a whole kit that's been proven to be effective for these motors....am I correct in saying this?

So in all honesty....a lot of you don't recommend ZEX kits because you don't have them? Hmmm Makes sense I guess.....lol

Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:38 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

you are missing the biggest and most important point.. performance. I will guarintee, that if you were to set up a zex kit on a car, with the advertised hp rating of say a 100 shot and dyno the results, then pull it off and test a nx or nos or tnt or whatever, the zex will not make as much power. If you are putting nitrous on your car for any other reason other then a power gain, then it's a total waste, that ebign said, most people go for whatever is gonna make the most power. And no, the nx, nos, tnt, and several other kits do not require bigger niods for bigger shots, they are designed for up to 250 and in some cases 300 shots, go ahead and try jetting a zex kit for a 250 hit, #1 it won't even do it with the restriction of the system, and I hope you don't like your motor even if it will, because I guarintee, at that level, the kit will fail... I know more then one person that got oen of those to use it as an additional power adder on a mustang or somethign like that where they are already running a blower or turbo, and every person I know that did ended up ripping it off in less then a year and getting a good kit.

It's like everything else, you get what you pay for. If you want to buy one of the cheapest nitros kits out there... just be ready for when it bites you, when you play with nitrous, it's not if it will bite you, it's when. Buy a cheapo junk kit, and the liklyhood of getting bit, goes up expotentially.

Personally, even if someone gave me a top of the line zex kit, I wouldn't put it on my car, I'd sell it and use the $ towards a good quality setup, which can be had by several different sponsors on the right. My advise, is call a nitrous sponsor that sells several different kits, and ask them what tehy think of zex stuff... you'll probably get alot better idea as to why if you are really serious about running nitrous, you won't be putting that junk in your car.

Or, better yet here's a question for all the zex lovers out there.... show me onereal race car that's running their stuff at a competitive level or racing, that is doing something. When you're done wasting your time looking for something that doesn't exist, come back and explain to the racers why you should put that stuff on their car, when there's not a single car anywhere that's racing and winning with their equipment.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

Default ZEX hate

I am currently awaiting a reply from Zex as I have a warrantee issue with my 82026 wet kit. They have my NMU and it has been a couple of days since they got it. I have called twice asking for the status on whether they are going to fix, replace or deny the claim. I have been told they will return my calls but so far, nada. They have not answered my online questions either.

Obviously after using the system only twice and now not having the management unit, I am not overjoyed but things happen and I'm hoping for the best. I will report back with the finished story.

BTW, it's not PURPLE. The color is ORCHID ....

Originally Posted by The Alpha Male

2. Some Bullshit about smaller Solenoids....well if you have an NX or NOS kit and you want a big-shot you have to get bigger solenoids anyway...so that's silly.

3. Solenoids in a box = melted components....another silly explanation....the heat inside the damn motor doesn't get hot enough to melt metal.....if that was the case my exhaust manifolds would've melted off...lol

I guess it comes down to preference...and preference seems to be determined by availability and convenience.....

NX and NOS kits are available for LS1's with the convenience of a whole kit that's been proven to be effective for these motors....am I correct in saying this?

So in all honesty....a lot of you don't recommend ZEX kits because you don't have them? Hmmm Makes sense I guess.....lol

Old 07-17-2006, 01:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well then, if the Zex kit dosen't make good power, hopefully it won't wreck my 10 bolt then. Oh yeah no one has produced dyno numbers yet, I'm wondering if it will be down and by how much.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:13 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Beer99C5
Originally Posted by faust
personally, i can't stand purple lol
I agree.

I would bet if it was packaged in other colors (say Red, Blue and Black), Zex would find it would sell more kits and gain in popularity. First impression of anything is how it looks. Regardless of how well it may or may not be put together.

I don't have any STDs, but I don't recommend those either........
Old 07-17-2006, 09:13 AM
Restricted User

Talk about not getting point, sory A-male, but there are posts with-in the pages that are very valid as to why Zex is not well liked. Many nitrous users are not a "100 shot" crowd, that being said, you cant run much more with Zex in its "kit" form so why bother? Thats is one very valid point.

Next up is the packaging, and no I do not mean the Orchid color. Having the components inside the box, can lead to component meltdown. Component doesnt limit it to metal, DUH! How about the wiring inside the solenoid, i.e. the coil. Too much heat for too long and it wot work (best case), melts and leaves piston open (worst case). Second valid point.

Expandability is not an easy option with the kit either, if you did run a 100 shot and get tired and want to up it, you need to change a lot of stuff, not just jets. And for your information, most kits out for our cars car easily run 200 in their "as delivered" state. Third valid point.

And then you have the simplistic stuff, like brand loyalty, customer service, ORCHID Coloring, or that you dont like it cuz you dont have it, etc... In that department I'd agree, it seems irrelevent compared to others.

Now, locking this as it seems to be going no where....still.

Regards,

Charlie

Quick Reply: What do you guys have against ZEX?