Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COLD intake with dryice...w/ pics!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COLD intake with dryice...w/ pics!

I used a lunchbox thermal and cut the appropriate holes for the IAT and intake sides....just gonna throw some dryice in there and let that -109 degrees freeze the **** out of that intake elbow....give me some input!!!!
Old 07-16-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Holy ****.. thats one of the craziest lookin things i've ever seen. Put that bitch on the dyno NOW!!! Will it sweat inside your box making condensation a problem for your filter/maf?
Old 07-16-2006, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

nooo...its still got the original intake elbow INSIDE the cooler....the dryice will never toucht he air going into my motor,it will(im hoping) just end up freexing the **** out of the intake elbow and the air going through it will obviously get colder....with -109 degree dryice...

problems i might have:

Dryice doesnt last
(but thats why i have the thermal lunchbox)

Thermal lunchbox melts from touching hot metal
(im working on that right now)
Old 07-16-2006, 11:47 PM
12 Second Club

I want track times back to back, looks like a good idea
Old 07-17-2006, 05:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well i just test drove my car earlier, and the dryice held up very well,still full chunks of it i there, car seemed liek it was a noticable difference and pulled a little harder...considering intake elbow was actualy frozen, i beleive it worked

Oh and BTW...it was 97 out today,and like 86 at night...i drove it at like 3am, so it was extremely muggy and hott outside and the dryice still managed to freeze the **** out of...pretty much everything

Problems:
dryice was so ******* cold it FROZE the lining on the lunchbox and started cracking everywhere

Since it was touching my intake elbow,it frosted the inside of my intake elbow....there was a very good layer(decently thick, a few milimeter) of frost within my intake elbow...dont know if thtas good or bad,but i dont want my intake elbow to crack or break like the inside of the lunchbox...

Gonna keep working on it,keep giving me feedback!!
Old 07-17-2006, 06:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i was thinking that, if you get the plastic elbow to cold the plastic is probably going to become real brittle, very easy to break. I'd watch for the frost inside as well, if the heat from the motor gets to it and turns it to water i'd be worried about it getting sucked onto the maf or something. Seems like a good idea though!
Old 07-17-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

is that thing vented at all.we use to put alittle dry ice in a 2 liter bottle and in a few minutes it builds up pressure and.................pop!
Old 07-17-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

of course its vented...

Yeah the frost on the inside is kind of an issue,but the intkae elbow is more rubber then plastic....i was worried about that cracking aswell,but im going to wrap the elbow with something,as long as the dryice doesnt touch the elbow it wont get frosted on the inside and wont become brittle...it will just get extremely cold

the theory is there...jsut needs some work
Old 07-17-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your intake elbow is basically made of plastic which is a great insulator.
Unfortunately this means that it will pass very little heat into the dry ice, and you will not get a significant drop in air-charge temperature on a running engine.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

im thinking your gains were the placebo effect but it looks nice
Old 07-17-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

and you will not get a significant drop in air-charge temperature on a running engine.
Great insulator huh? half of the inside of the elbow was covered in frost....its not a very good insulator at all....

gains were the placebo effect
lol by placebo...did you mean pseudo effect lolol

and i drove the car before,with it on,then directly after i took it back off
no "pseudo effect" there
Old 07-17-2006, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Camaro94SS
of course its vented...

Yeah the frost on the inside is kind of an issue,but the intkae elbow is more rubber then plastic....i was worried about that cracking aswell,but im going to wrap the elbow with something,as long as the dryice doesnt touch the elbow it wont get frosted on the inside and wont become brittle...it will just get extremely cold

the theory is there...jsut needs some work
It can still frost inside without the ice touching it. The frost just requires enough moisture in the air and the surface to be below freezing. Whether the ice contacts it or not really has nothing to do with that.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah,but it will happen much faster witht he ice directly touching it,i was thinking of wrapping soem foam aroudn the elbow to insulate it a LITTLE,but not too much,so after about 30min it would be extremely cold
Old 07-17-2006, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

you need to realize the air is going by your ice/insulation so FAST that it does not have any time to absorb/or change temps in any owrthwhile fashion even if you got a 2 -4 degree drop i'd be surprised, and you wouldn't see much benefit anyways, why not just run nitrous?
Old 07-17-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well i dont think many of you are familiar with dryice, its -109....its not just 20degree ice...i mean that entire intkae was extremely cold,like freezer cold,and i only hda it on for 10minutes...the elbow is decently large,its not like i have like 3inches of it insulated...i have the entire elbow insulated, which is connecting to the TB,so its not like the air has travel time to get hot again either...

Im not saying its gonna make the air like ICE cold,but it i think it will definitely get the air cold enough to consider it COLD air...

Yes i would love to spray my car, unfortunatly i dotn have money for a tune after I install it..thtas the only thing holding me back is tuning the nitrous,cause i have no idea how and dont have moeny for a tune
Old 07-17-2006, 02:43 PM
12 Second Club

It seems like a good idea like an NA water to air intercooler. But you would need it to go threw the thing several times to really be effective like an intercooler witch might negate the gain you see from the lower temps. Keep messing with it and keep us posted. It would be cool to get it on the dyno and put thermostats on each side of the box and see how much colder its getting.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro94SS
Well i dont think many of you are familiar with dryice, its -109....its not just 20degree ice...i mean that entire intkae was extremely cold,like freezer cold,and i only hda it on for 10minutes...the elbow is decently large,its not like i have like 3inches of it insulated...i have the entire elbow insulated, which is connecting to the TB,so its not like the air has travel time to get hot again either...
I don't think you are very familiar with heat-exchangers either.
What you want is a good conductor of heat and a lot of surface area.
What you've got is a poor conductor and little surface area.
The frost may form when just sitting there, but an engine running at WOT will be passing far too much warm air uneffected by the cold walls of the elbow to make any significant difference.

I know you are trying hard to make this work. How about trying an actual heat-exchanger design (like a heater core) inside your air-intake ducting.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am familiar with conductors, the insulation i have isnt poor at all.... i had my car at WOT when i was testing it for about 10min each time....i was driving for about 10min,WOT randomly for like 5+seconds each time for about 10min, so my car was extremely hott....its not like i was drivign to the grocerie store....i was getting on it hard.....

I was thinking about putting something in the air-ducting but i realized it would stall the air flow real bad...i was original gonna just put dryice somewhere in my airducting,but didnt want to stall air flow or worry about carbon dioxide in my motor,which i wish someone would tell me if that would affect anything or not...
Old 07-17-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

It won't work.

Anyone know the eaxct or rough cfm for this car, isn't it 550-600cfm?

you know what it would take to cool that much air? a 12x12 or what ever it is air box with the air in it for a 1/10 of a second or less will not cool the air in any worhtwhile fashion
Old 07-17-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

What about the old school trick of runnig your fuellines through a coffe can with dryice in it? Are you calling bullshit on that one too?

Quick Reply: COLD intake with dryice...w/ pics!