Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I use nitrous to cool IAT only?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 04:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can I use nitrous to cool IAT only?

I've been watching my IAT's for some time now and even in cool fall air, after sitting in the staging lanes, they creep up to around 100*. In the heat they aproach the 113-115* mark. Way too hot. I know that it's heat soak from my Suncoast SS hood and we all know how efficiently they work for a 1/4 mile jaunt. I re-installed the old SLP CAI I had laying around (that hydro-locked my original LS1 from water intake) to try to bring the temps down some, but the way I have my tranny cooler mounted I'm just sucking warmed air from that. I was thinking I could buy one of those small cheater nitrous kits with like a 2 or 5 lb. bottle mounted somewhere behind the headlights or something and orient the line to spray no2 into the bottom of the CAI to cool the ducting and intake air. I know someone's going to say why not just spray then, but I've had a problem with tapping the rev limiter on my 2-3 shift and I can't seem to sort it out, better, but not gone, so I'm a bit afraid to do that. That and the fact that I'm still running the 10 bolt. I figure by the time the no2 makes it's way up the CAI, through the filter, airbox and into the engine it will be so dissipated that I won't have to really worry if the car touches the limiter. All I'm looking to do here is lower my IAT's. If I happen to pick up a few ponies above and beyond what the lower IAT's would normally yield, great, but I imagine it wouldn't be much. I'm sooo close to that 11 sec. slip I can taste it! Any thoughts on this would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 11-03-2006, 07:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dont see why it wouldn't work! or you could remount the trans cooler and get some more cold air ducting???

chris
Old 11-03-2006, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you've got the tubing setup, why not connect the noid to a water pump and spray pressurized water instead of pressurized N20?
Old 11-03-2006, 09:24 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by fast01
I've been watching my IAT's for some time now and even in cool fall air, after sitting in the staging lanes, they creep up to around 100*. In the heat they aproach the 113-115* mark. Way too hot. I know that it's heat soak from my Suncoast SS hood and we all know how efficiently they work for a 1/4 mile jaunt. I re-installed the old SLP CAI I had laying around (that hydro-locked my original LS1 from water intake) to try to bring the temps down some, but the way I have my tranny cooler mounted I'm just sucking warmed air from that. I was thinking I could buy one of those small cheater nitrous kits with like a 2 or 5 lb. bottle mounted somewhere behind the headlights or something and orient the line to spray no2 into the bottom of the CAI to cool the ducting and intake air. I know someone's going to say why not just spray then, but I've had a problem with tapping the rev limiter on my 2-3 shift and I can't seem to sort it out, better, but not gone, so I'm a bit afraid to do that. That and the fact that I'm still running the 10 bolt. I figure by the time the no2 makes it's way up the CAI, through the filter, airbox and into the engine it will be so dissipated that I won't have to really worry if the car touches the limiter. All I'm looking to do here is lower my IAT's. If I happen to pick up a few ponies above and beyond what the lower IAT's would normally yield, great, but I imagine it wouldn't be much. I'm sooo close to that 11 sec. slip I can taste it! Any thoughts on this would be appreciated! Thanks!
You are going to use alot of nitrous to cool that area down. A little blit will not do the job... NOW if you had lets say an old UNUSED trany cooler that could be fitted in the area and then vent your nitrous throu a jet that gives you much larger area of cooling and might help. But I think its only worth trying if you have parts laying around. I would not spend the money on it to try.
Why not just open the hood in the staging lanes while you are waiting to race?

Ricky
Old 11-03-2006, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

SLP fan switch???
Old 11-04-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the input guys! I was actually thinking about possibly trying a meth injection kit also,similar to the water suggestion. I would re-mount my tranny cooler, but that would be a p.i.t.a. because all the lines are already made up and it fits so nicely where it is. I'll figure something out.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Location: From the Bowels of Hell!!! You want some of me bitch?!?!?!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast01
but I've had a problem with tapping the rev limiter on my 2-3 shift and I can't seem to sort it out, better, but not gone, so I'm a bit afraid to do that.
Tranny slippage. Been there, done that.

Quick Reply: Can I use nitrous to cool IAT only?