Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to expect to pay for a nitrous system

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to expect to pay for a nitrous system

I am *thinking* about getting a basically stock ls1 based vehicle and putting a nitrous system on it. Ultimately, I want to run 11's on stock internals n/a and then spray. What can I expect to pay for a good system that has all the accessories needed to run it?
Old 11-21-2006, 12:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have been looking too, and have seen everything from $100 on e-bay (used) to $1600 for a mac daddy. I guess its how nice u want it!
Old 11-21-2006, 07:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine was complete and paid around $1800 for all of it. This included a tune.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm gonna be out about $500 maybe a little more. Price will also be decided on the system type though. Wet or Dry will make a difference.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:24 AM
Banned

just about a grand here, including the window switch, 2 bottle openers, gauges, switches, heater, chrome brackets, custom blanket & paint job.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:26 AM
12 Second Club

Around a 1000 for a full setup wet kit new fuel pump plugs the works dry your gunna need injectors for a bigger shot so its probably gunna be a little higher
Old 11-21-2006, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

Around $1750 with the dry kit, heater, FJO controller, injectors, fuel pump and tune. Don't cut too many corners when getting a N2O kit, the cost could be much higher.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:25 PM
12 Second Club

http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/shop/cart.php here is a full wet kit heater purge timming tunner(works as window switch suptract about $100 if you just want window switch no timing tunner) spark plugs and fuel pump. In case you cant see the cart its 1148.22 for every thing shipped witch makes it about a grand if you just want a window switch with a tune you got 1500 in it max. thought i would just make things a little clearer
Old 11-21-2006, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

Around $500 if you know how to tune and can live with turning a valve by hand. Purge isn't necessary on a 150 shot unless you're running a stupid amount of bottle pressure which there isn't any need on a hit that small. Only other thing would be a window switch if it's a manual trans car, other than that only thing NEEDED is the kit. Get a kit that has a pressure gauge on the bottle as well. Everything else is optional.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow i was way off - i was thinking for some reason it'd be about 800 total or something
Old 11-21-2006, 02:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by nomorews6
I am *thinking* about getting a basically stock ls1 based vehicle and putting a nitrous system on it. Ultimately, I want to run 11's on stock internals n/a and then spray. What can I expect to pay for a good system that has all the accessories needed to run it?
Not sure if your looking for wet or dry but figure wet as the worst case. The complete kit will run you $359. Definetley at the tops in quality and performance. Add a complete fully adjustable heater kit, the top performing on the market, for $99. A window switch with capability for 2 stages, built in TPS and multi Gear lockout for $129 Not including a new set of plugs, assuming your installing yourself, your below $600

Dean
Old 11-21-2006, 02:15 PM
12 Second Club

wow i was way off - i was thinking for some reason it'd be about 800 total or something
If you want it to be it can! For the size jetting that you're looking to use (less than 200hp) nothing fancy is needed. Remote electric bottle openers are for show and lazy people, purging is for big HP setups where bottle pressure is of utmost importance and for those same lazy show people.
Like Dynotune said, $600 for a window switch, heater and the kit is an awesome bargain and would get you to your goals. I wish that was available when I did my setup! I had around $550 and about 10 hours tuning/install time in my old setup. It was good enough for 11.teens on stock intake to oil pan full weight street car.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Darrick, you were hitting bottom of 11's with everything else being stock? More details please!!
Old 11-21-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well there are some bargain basement kits (read: cheap) often refered to as base kits. Yes, they are cheap. However, some of the kits will include items that others don't, and will charge extra for. So trying to compare X-kit at 300 bucks to Y-kit at 500 dollars is not comparing apples to apples. Check the completness of kit for the cost. We have some cheap kits, but I never rec them cause they don't include things such as, FPSS, NHRA Blow down kit, dual nozzles, 15lb bottle, gauge, and other items and quality is normally a little bit lower. Remember the old saying, you get what you pay for. Would you rather have a 10 sec Honda civic, or a 10 sec Z06, see my point. You can achieve the same ET with both but which is better, the cheaper one? So, first I would decide which style I like, wet or dry, then start looking around at the kits. Some are spec'ed for the lsx platform, and most are generic.
Robert
Old 11-21-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

I paid around $630 for mine. HSW single nozzle dry, fpss, BMN window switch, heater, purge, blow down, tr6 plugs. I'm happy with my purcahse.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:17 PM
12 Second Club

Darrick, you were hitting bottom of 11's with everything else being stock? More details please!!
Engine was internally stock i.e. stock intake, cam, rockers, etc. Ported stock throttle body, lid, FTRA, march ud pulley, hooker cat back. Transmission stock 4L60e with Transgo shift kit, and a TCI SSF3500 convertor. 3.73(Precision Gear) rear end, Lakewood lower control arms, and finally a set of 255 50R16 Stickey Mickey Street Radials. I tune with EFILive Flashscan, 3/8" drive ratchet, swivel, spark plug socket, and a flashlight.
As above consistent 12.20s@109mph were the norm
Add a Cold Fusion Wet kit with .073 nitrous jet= 11.16-18@122mph. That's if traction was available. I set it up for street racing so factory rims all the way around full interior and the hood stayed shut unless it was at home!

Oh and I took the snubbers off the back!
Old 11-21-2006, 03:29 PM
12 Second Club

A 10 sec car is a 10 sec car. People becoming wrapped up in labels and build sheets is image. Two different things, and they're being combined way too much IMHO.
My Cold Fusion kit never hicupped or failed and came with everything single piece I needed to get it on the car and working properly. We're not talking multiple stage 500+hp nitrous setups here, a kit for a basically stock car is all that is needed. How many of the nitrous users here engine purge AND nitrous purge?

Either way like I said to the original poster, you can reach your goals with $600 reliably, consistently and effectively. I know because I've done it. If you need to "show off" your nitrous, need piece of mind, image or any of the above then by all means spend twice that or even triple that for the same performance. It's your money and your ride....
Old 11-21-2006, 03:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Robert56@NitrousDirect
Well there are some bargain basement kits (read: cheap) often refered to as base kits. Yes, they are cheap. However, some of the kits will include items that others don't, and will charge extra for. So trying to compare X-kit at 300 bucks to Y-kit at 500 dollars is not comparing apples to apples. Check the completness of kit for the cost. We have some cheap kits, but I never rec them cause they don't include things such as, FPSS, NHRA Blow down kit, dual nozzles, 15lb bottle, gauge, and other items and quality is normally a little bit lower. Remember the old saying, you get what you pay for. Would you rather have a 10 sec Honda civic, or a 10 sec Z06, see my point. You can achieve the same ET with both but which is better, the cheaper one? So, first I would decide which style I like, wet or dry, then start looking around at the kits. Some are spec'ed for the lsx platform, and most are generic.
Robert
Robert,
I do not think you are referring to my post but just to make sure no one interprets it as our kit being cheap let me help. Our quality and performance is top notch. We do not package items a person may already have or may not need into a kit. WE let the customer choose! Our dual nozzles necessary for most - no, do most want to take up the extra room with a 15# bottle - no. If a customer were to add those items which you listed above that would put the kit at about $499. And you are still not comparing apples to apples. We have 1/8" NPT fittings on 2' lines making for cleaner installs and eliminating extra fittings. Adjustable bottle brackets and the list goes on.

Hope this helps!

Dean
Old 11-21-2006, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

i didnt sped that much
370-wet dynotune kit
100-dynotune purge
100-dynotune bottle warmer
60-dynotune pills (a theme huh?-they kick ***)
30-dynotune pressure gauge
75-nitro dave's driveshave hump bracket
50-used indow switch

around 775 total
Old 11-21-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DynotuneN2O
Robert,
I do not think you are referring to my post but just to make sure no one interprets it as our kit being cheap let me help. Our quality and performance is top notch. We do not package items a person may already have or may not need into a kit. WE let the customer choose! Our dual nozzles necessary for most - no, do most want to take up the extra room with a 15# bottle - no. If a customer were to add those items which you listed above that would put the kit at about $499. And you are still not comparing apples to apples. We have 1/8" NPT fittings on 2' lines making for cleaner installs and eliminating extra fittings. Adjustable bottle brackets and the list goes on.

Hope this helps!

Dean
Nope, I was actually talking about our base kits, compared to the PRO Dry kit/PRO Wet kit. Checking the base kits, then it really is a bargain at $525 (Pro Dry). As for the 15lb bottle, yes as a generic kit it won't fit a lot of cars, however, the PRO Dry is speced for the LSX platform and the f-bods and Y-bods (15 fits both and offers 1/2 again as many refills and more runs that are consistant). Furthermore, you can replace the 15 with a 10lb and get credit towards other goodies. As for the dual nozzle, what we have been finding as a tuning aid the dual nozzles offer a much better distribution thus tuning in your a/f is a breeze. Dual nozzle also offers an easy upgrade to dual stage. The safety items are also included and needed imo. Lets not forget the mondo 400hp noid in the PRO Dry kit, whereas the base kits use the smaller weaker noids. Why guys think that scrimping on their nitrous kits is ok, is behond me. But, it seems these days that the cheaper the kit the happier the buyer? Like I said, You get what you pay for, and there is reasons why kits like NX are a little more $$. Like I said before, I have never once pushed our cheap kits (that I can remember), as I believe they are incomplete and a lesser quality of combined parts. Would they get the job done, yes they would, but so would the honda civic.
Robert