Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question: Nitrous, the whole nine yards

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 10:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question: Nitrous, the whole nine yards

I have read about 30 posts here. The information is overwhelming. It's great to see that I can learn from my mistakes before I make them. I have wanted to run nitrous for years, but always though of it as cheating and dangerous. I installed it on my old iroc, but when I hit the switch, I got nothing. I tore that **** off and sold it the next day. Then I learned that nitrous is a catalyst and not a fuel. I also learned that you can put a great deal of nitrous on a car if done correctly. Now, I just purchased a ZEX dry kit 75-125 with the little fuel managment box. I know the poll of nitrous preferances showed that most don't prefer the Zex kit, but I bought it complete for 300 bucks. That's like 380 off the new price. Here are my questions. I know they may be redundant, but I think this thread may help alot of new nos investors. I just put brand new delco platinum plugs at .50 factory gap in my LT1 about 3 months and 100 miles ago before I decided to purchase nitrous.

-Has anyone had success spraying a 100 or 125 shot on a stock motor, with stock plugs, stock gap, stock timing, stock fuel system?
-Will running colder plugs and/or smaller gap cause any normal daily drivability issues?
-How do I retard timing on an optispark? I guess I need a timing control system of some sort? Do I really need to do so if running a regular 1-125 shot
-How the hell does a dry shot zex system manage fuel if it is a dry shot??!!
-Having fuel managment, can I move the dry nozzle closer to the throttle body or do I still need to install the nozzle before the mass airflow sensor like normal dry shot kits?
Old 12-13-2006, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

-Has anyone had success spraying a 100 or 125 shot on a stock motor, with stock plugs, stock gap, stock timing, stock fuel system?
yes, many of us however a colder plug is always suggested.
-Will running colder plugs and/or smaller gap cause any normal daily drivability issues?
No. no one has posted any problems with the colder plugs during normal driving.
-How do I retard timing on an optispark? I guess I need a timing control system of some sort? Do I really need to do so if running a regular 1-125 shot
Not really needed on a shot of less than 150. Just don't advance the timing or run a handheld tuner program (which advances the timing).
you inject AFTER (edited) the MAF. The fuel delivery will be your problem on a LT1. They don't supply a heck of a lot of fuel. Consider getting a walburo 255 pump. Zex also makes one PART #82020
-Having fuel managment, can I move the dry nozzle closer to the throttle body or do I still need to install the nozzle before the mass airflow sensor like normal dry shot kits?
MUST be in front of TB. (edited)

Last edited by Todd157k; 12-13-2006 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Spraying all day with 100 dry shot on just ngk tr6s and no problems to date.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I've changed my plugs to Autolite 103's I've had no problems, of course its only been a week.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talk to Dave as he is a ZEX vendor and will know more of the specifics of the kit you have.
Robert
Old 12-13-2006, 03:43 PM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

Originally Posted by WONCAMARO
I have read about 30 posts here. The information is overwhelming. It's great to see that I can learn from my mistakes before I make them. I have wanted to run nitrous for years, but always though of it as cheating and dangerous. I installed it on my old iroc, but when I hit the switch, I got nothing. I tore that **** off and sold it the next day. Then I learned that nitrous is a catalyst and not a fuel. I also learned that you can put a great deal of nitrous on a car if done correctly. Now, I just purchased a ZEX dry kit 75-125 with the little fuel managment box. I know the poll of nitrous preferances showed that most don't prefer the Zex kit, but I bought it complete for 300 bucks. That's like 380 off the new price. Here are my questions. I know they may be redundant, but I think this thread may help alot of new nos investors. I just put brand new delco platinum plugs at .50 factory gap in my LT1 about 3 months and 100 miles ago before I decided to purchase nitrous.
Sounds like you got a good deal on the Zex kit.....

Yes, but we do not reccomend it, at least change your spark plugs to NGK TR-6 or equivilent. For 100+dry we also suggest changing the injectors.

None...I have been running the TR-6s for 5+ years and have seen no difference between them and the TR-5s

-How do I retard timing on an optispark? I guess I need a timing control system of some sort? Do I really need to do so if running a regular 1-125 shot?
To retard the timing it can either be done through the PCM or an aftermarket ignition box...IE: Mallory 685. MSD Digital 6, Crane Hi-6, ETC

When the kit is activated the FMU spikes the vacuum to the regulator increasing the fuel pressure, thus increasing the fuel sprayed from the injector

On the LT1 platform the dry nozzle will be placed in front of the TB, AFTER the MAF. LS1 cars spray before the MAF. The LT1 dry kits bump the fuel pressure and the MAF is not involved.

Old 12-13-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ray@Nitrous Outlet
On the LT1 platform the dry nozzle will be placed in front of the TB, AFTER the MAF. LS1 cars spray before the MAF. The LT1 dry kits bump the fuel pressure and the MAF is not involved.
oops! My bad. I forgot.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What about the platinum plugs? I know people have probably done it but i would never chance it on any shot.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:58 PM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

That is why I reccomended going with the TR-6 or equivilent

Old 12-14-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

O gotcha i was thinking they were recommend just for being a colder plug. I run tr6 plugs and they work great for me on a 200shot.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

I really appreciate all those who responded. I have everything installed now, but am curious as to where I can get my tank filled. I saw a site a long while back which listed all the refill stations in texas. Does anyone know if there are any stations in san marcos or austin texas.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:25 AM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

Not sure about San Marcos...but Austin Performance on North Lamar is where I used to go.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i run the tr6's at .035 gap, works wonderfully!
Old 05-10-2011, 10:45 PM
TECH Regular

Alot of you guys are running LS1's with a larger shot than the OP is suggesting.

From this thread then, I would guess that the ngk tr6's are a good spark plug for a 125 shot, bolt on Lt1? anything else i should think of?
Old 05-11-2011, 02:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm running TR6s on a 150 0.38 gap, N2O tuned on a dyno. I have a LS1 timing tuner for a window switch.

Important advice to OP; it seems you did some research but I don t think you read enough on the subject.

1st, I would never run a 125 pill dry without new injectors,
2nd retarding timing,
3rd colder plugs
4th a FPSS or a better than stock fuel pump.
Finally without monitoring your A/F ratio.

I would add that nitrous filter is a very good idea too..but not essential. And watch you nitrous pressure too.. I always warm my bottle with the heater to 950-1000psi(a bit on the high side because I know my nitrous tune is very rich and safe).

But thats just my 02.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:27 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run TR4's with a 800 shot.

The world is going to end soon anyways. LOL !
Old 05-11-2011, 10:07 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ATVracr
I run TR444444's with a 800 shot.

The world is going to end soon anyways. LOL !

Fix'd fo ya.