Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous pressure/flow regulator from ZEX

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 02:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To good to be true I guess. One 20 pounder for me.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Robert56@NitrousDirect
Inconclusive testing imo. Sure it will regulate the pressure, but they all do, they did no track testing. The real question is does it hamper performance? We need some before and after back to back to back runs, to see if this really pans out, and how it effects the a/f ratio if it does. Now don't get me wrong, I would love for this to work. I am trying to find the write up on the guy that invented this (might be the one in the article, can't remember), he claims that most were copied from his and they don't quite work as well? Hopefully someone will get one and start testing. I do know they work allright on the smaller hits, but still...
Robert

Edit: Here is a thread on this issue. Read the last post, this is from a guy from NOS.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...rous+regulator
Her's another for more insight.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...rous+regulator
Robert

Yeah...the question really is wether it will actually flow the large shots while clamping down on the pressure. They say this will flow up to 500 hp worth of juice while doing its regulating duties....which is pretty damn incredible.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree,
This has been around for over a year now. I have a motorcycle customer that runs one that was released from the original designer. However the motorcycle units would not flow as much. On the bikes this may be a great device for the fact there bottles are so small and pressure drop is great. Not to mention most bikes are fighting amp draw problems and they can not leave there bottle hetaer on while waiting in the stageing lanes. With this unit you can adjust down the over all bottle pressure and tune your system for x amount.

Im not real sure how I feel about these in the car world because we use larger flow rates for bigger hp numbers.

If the flow regulaters expand inside and then shrink back down this will cause a phase change. However so does the inline filters and inline remote bottle openers. This normaly causes a flow restriction as well and will change the over all tune up.

There are many average street cars running the inline filters and some running the inline openers as well.

So the question here should be this..

Does the phase change seem to be more critical for larger hp shots?
Im going to think about this alittle more....
Dave

Last edited by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet; 12-20-2006 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:25 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ls1408cp
Nitro dave where you at. I noticed you dont sell one of these and I would like to hear your opinion.

Im here. I just have not had much time for the web sites lately. We have been really busy...
Dave
Old 12-20-2006, 11:42 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting thread.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
I agree,
This has been around for over a year now. I have a motorcycle customer that runs one that was released from the original designer. However the motorcycle units would not flow as much. On the bikes this may be a great device for the fact there bottles are so small and pressure drop is great. Not to mention most bikes are fighting amp draw problems and they can not leave there bottle hetaer on while waiting in the stageing lanes. With this unit you can adjust down the over all bottle pressure and tune your system for x amount.

Im not real sure how I feel about these in the car world because we use larger flow rates for bigger hp numbers.

If the flow regulaters expand inside and then shrink back down this will cause a phase change. However so does the inline filters and inline remote bottle openers. This normaly causes a flow restriction as well and will change the over all tune up.

There are many average street cars running the inline filters and some running the inline openers as well.

So the question here should be this..

Does the phase change seem to be more critical for larger hp shots?
Im going to think about this alittle more....
Dave
Dave, you know there is one filter on the market that claims no phase change.
Robert
Old 12-21-2006, 09:56 AM
FormerVendor

Yes sir. I like it.. Other than the fact it has to be used with a 660 style valve..
Dave
Old 12-21-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Honstly I don't see how some of you guys are sceptical about the performance of this piece. I see it like this: SCUBA gear has been around since the 1940s. SCUBA regulators take 2000-3000 (if not a way more) psi of air down to something that won't pop our lungs, way below even 200 psi! (~150) Those regulators definately work. This nitrous pressure regulator may be new, but it has got to be using the same technology. I absolutely don't see an innovation here, only a new application; it's only required to drop the pressure from low/mid 1000s to 800 (or whatever you like). To me that difference is almost a joke! I believe this thing works flawlessly.

...unless this nitrous regulator is being built from cheap parts.

Now, I do wonder, why can't we all use SCUBA tanks and fill our bottles with 4000 psi of nitrous? Any good reasons? because I don't know. Safety? Of course we'd have a regulator making sure it doesn't hit the solenoid with 4000 psi!

Last edited by gi8e7oi825; 12-21-2006 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gi8e7oi825
Honstly I don't see how some of you guys are sceptical about the performance of this piece. I see it like this: SCUBA gear has been around since the 1940s. SCUBA regulators take 2000-3000 (if not a way more) psi of air down to something that won't pop our lungs, way below even 200 psi! (~150) Those regulators definately work. This nitrous pressure regulator may be new, but it has got to be using the same technology. I absolutely don't see an innovation here, only a new application; it's only required to drop the pressure from low/mid 1000s to 800 (or whatever you like). To me that difference is almost a joke! I believe this thing works flawlessly.

...unless this nitrous regulator is being built from cheap parts.

Now, I do wonder, why can't we all use SCUBA tanks and fill our bottles with 4000 psi of nitrous? Any good reasons? because I don't know. Safety? Of course we'd have a regulator making sure it doesn't hit the solenoid with 4000 psi!
What you say is correct, however, the issue is regulating the pressure then allowing enough flow to support big HP. The scuba tanks do not have to flow much at all. Then when you choke it down to regulate pressure, you have an issue with phase change, turning liquid nitrous into vapour, not good. We all hope it gets sorted out. think of it this way, if it really worked don't you think all the top n2o teams would be running it?
Robert
Old 12-21-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol good point!
Old 12-21-2006, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gi8e7oi825
lol good point!
The difference also is you're regulating a gas with SCUBA gear and a gas in liquid form with a nitrous regulator. Like you said high pressure gas regulators have been around for ages to drop 3000psi to 100 psi or so. But there's almost no other instance I can think of where you want to flow a liquid gas in liquid form besides automotive nitrous use. Most other uses of compressed liquid gasses, such as N2O, you're flowing the vapor.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:04 PM
Launching!

I suggest that any one interested in running one of these contact Dave Koehler at Koehler Injection. He did quite a bit of testing with them and might be able help you figure out if it will do what you want it to.

Quick Reply: Nitrous pressure/flow regulator from ZEX