Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous pressure/flow regulator from ZEX

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nitrous pressure/flow regulator from ZEX

Went by all the major Nitrous booths at PRI on friday. The one thing i wanted to see what this:

http://www.compperformancegroupstore...OUSACCESSORIES

After discussing this item for a short period with ZEX it seems like a real winner. Its pricey...but with all the people here wanting something better than a bottle heater but not as elaborate as a push system..this may be the answer.

I do not think you should be using this IN PLACE of a heater...but in conjunction with one. And this is not a pressure AMPLIFIER. Just a regulator.

IMO this should be used either with wet or dry and rejet your system for a lower pressure...such as 850-900 PSI to take full advantage of this unit.

There have been lots of posts on here asking why you just cant use a regulator and my answer has alwasy been "because they restrict flow". Well it appears this one is good to flow 500 hp worth of juice while maintaining the proper pressure.

So...rejet your system so its operating correctly at say...850 psi as set with this regulator. Before a run...get bottle PSI as high as practical...say 1050-1150 psi. If this piece works as advertised outlet pressure from this unit will never dip below 850 psi and there will be no pressure drop during the run. Flow will be constant.

As soon as I get another car Ill test one up to a 250-300 shot and see how it does. My last nitrogen push was pretty bulky and added weight. Even though it worked very very well. This would be mucho simpler.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:37 PM
Restricted User

Very nice piece, and +1 if it works as stated would be a definately MUST-HAVE for the nitrous system. Used with a good auto-heater, maintain the pressure run after run. Cool.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:39 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this would eliminate two issues for me. having to purge down high bottle pressure in the summer from the bottle getting to hot in the car. the second is my car gets richer by about .7 AFR by the end of the run due to the bottle pressure loss. I have alot of money already spent this winter but im going to have to fit this in. My beef with the nitrogen push is it contaminates the nitrous. didnt you have to empty your bottles out in between fills to get rid of the nitrogen?
Old 12-17-2006, 04:56 AM
TECH Addict

Ouch
Price is pretty high for a casual Nitrous User.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by koolrayz
this would eliminate two issues for me. having to purge down high bottle pressure in the summer from the bottle getting to hot in the car. the second is my car gets richer by about .7 AFR by the end of the run due to the bottle pressure loss. I have alot of money already spent this winter but im going to have to fit this in. My beef with the nitrogen push is it contaminates the nitrous. didnt you have to empty your bottles out in between fills to get rid of the nitrogen?

Excellent point on the purge! You still would want to purge a little to fill the feed line to the noid. But it would no longer be necessary to purge for too high of a pressure. So saving that nitrous would offset some of the cost of this unit over time. So in this case too much pressure is a good thing as long as you have this regulator.

Nitrogen does not contaminate the nitrous. When I had my nitrogen push setup I would end up with a nitrous bottle with about 1 lb of juice left in it and 1100 psi. I had two bottles so i would take the nearly empty bottle with 1100psi and hook it directly up to my just filled bottle that had 15 lbs in it but only 800 psi or so. Open both valves and the last remianing lb of juice in the old bottle would flow into the newly serviced bottle along with the extra pressure. So i would end up with 16 lbs in a 15 lb bottle and about 1000 psi. The extra PSI was handy because you didnt have to waste nitrogen from your main nitrogen bottle to bring up the intitial pressure up to 1100 from 800.

When I had only one bottle and needed a refil I would turn the bottle upside down and purge out excess pressure and try to leave as much juice in the bottle. Not a big deal really. Not much different than servicing a regular nitrous bottle.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

looks sweet. may be an answer to many Questions. and Hows the beast running Al? Last i saw her was on gandy when i foolishly tried to run you in the monte haha. but that was before you redid it in 2004 i believe. cant remember. anyway good find on the regulator
Old 12-17-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the companys now have a n2o reg, NOS, CF, Zex and many more. The've been around a while.
Unless someone has figured this out, really. The problem of phase change has been an issue, leading to vaporous nitrous going into the motor. This allows less cooling and can open the door to detonation amongst other things.

We ND/CF offer one for the drag bikes, but they have a real heat issue, and this can help mucho with real high bottle pressure.

I am still a little skeptical. Until we get some real world users, I just don't know. It's not a new idea, but has never been sorted out, otherwise you would see all the big names using this.
Robert
Old 12-17-2006, 07:13 PM
11 Second Club

Looks alot like my palmers paint ball reg.....hmmmmmm odd that now the whole nitrous market is finally taking advanage of 5 year old paintball technology
Old 12-17-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Robert56@NitrousDirect
Most of the companys now have a n2o reg, NOS, CF, Zex and many more. The've been around a while.
Unless someone has figured this out, really. The problem of phase change has been an issue, leading to vaporous nitrous going into the motor. This allows less cooling and can open the door to detonation amongst other things.

We ND/CF offer one for the drag bikes, but they have a real heat issue, and this can help mucho with real high bottle pressure.

I am still a little skeptical. Until we get some real world users, I just don't know. It's not a new idea, but has never been sorted out, otherwise you would see all the big names using this.
Robert

I dont see phase change being an issue with this item properly setup. Hell...you could hook the nitrous noid right to the regulator. Youd have say...1150 psi in the main feed line right up to the regulator, have 850 psi outlet pressure going into the noid 1 inch away. Have the noid hooked directly up to the regulator...maybe with a purge on the noid as well. I would think there would be less of an issue with phase change because of the "pressure backup" or higher pressure in the main feed line.

On a regular system spraying a large shot...phase change can occur in the main feed line with the noid or noids open if its flowing near its max. With a pressure differential using a regulator like this it would eliminate that somewhat as long as the bottle pressure was higher than the regulator outlet pressure.

If you hooked up the regulator at the bottle the likelyhood of phase change in the main feed line after the regulator would be slightly higher due to the lower pressure.

Im pretty certain that with the right application and usage this will help alot of people. I will test one out when I get the chance.

SPLATT...whats up man. I remember the Monte run. Your car actually runs good. Gave me a better run than most. That was back in the old 383 days.

I actually sold the car. Ill be getting a vette or some kind of project car here shortly. I just bought a house with a nice garage and pool so that took priority. Nice car you have there!
Old 12-18-2006, 12:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Al we will be waiting on your testing prowess, for the final/real scoop.
Robert
Old 12-18-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Will do Robert. Unfortunately I have to find a vette first...lol.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS
Will do Robert. Unfortunately I have to find a vette first...lol.
Really, what are you looking for? coupe, convert, FRC or Z06? or a C6?
Robert
Old 12-18-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS

IMO this should be used either with wet or dry and rejet your system for a lower pressure...such as 850-900 PSI to take full advantage of this unit.

May I ask why? It's advertised as being adjustable from 500-1100 psi. Couldn't I just set it to 1050 since that's what NX goes by?

Also, with this, do you think it'd be a good idea to set my elec. bottle pressure transducer to something like 1200 psi and let the ZEX regulator take care of the rest (i.e., brining pressure back down to 1050)?
Old 12-18-2006, 11:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gi8e7oi825
May I ask why? It's advertised as being adjustable from 500-1100 psi. Couldn't I just set it to 1050 since that's what NX goes by?

Also, with this, do you think it'd be a good idea to set my elec. bottle pressure transducer to something like 1200 psi and let the ZEX regulator take care of the rest (i.e., brining pressure back down to 1050)?

the reason you set it lower is, its easier to get a bottle to 1000 lbs and regulate it down to 850 then to get a bottle up to 1200 and regulate it to 1050.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:11 PM
10 Second Club

I would buy one if it works
Old 12-18-2006, 11:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by gi8e7oi825

Exactly what Cypher said.

If your bottle pressure is 1000 psi to start...and you have the regulator set to 975...youll still experience a drop in pressure during a run most likely. And certainly with a large shot.

So if you set your transducer to 1200 and get your bottle pressure to 1200...but set the regulator to 850 (an rejet accordingly for the correct AF). You will always have a consistant flow of 850 psi nitrous during a run. Even with a very large shot. Even on a 300 shot I would generally experiance a 150-200 psi drop in pressure. Even with a 200 psi drop the bottle would still be at 1000 psi...so the regulator would still be delivering that solid 850 psi we are jetted for.

Setting it lower and raising your bottle PSI just gives you more room to prevent pressure dropping at all during a run.

Should be a neat addition to people running healthy shots...like 150-300+

Robert...I would like an 01 Z06. But may settle for a Hardtop.

Or...if I get another SS I may spring for a newer large cube motor such as a 450+ ci setup using the new GM block. Not sure yet. It will all depend on what good deals fall into my lap.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:42 PM
10 Second Club

I plan on running a 300shot and was going to run a 20 pound bottle. I am going to do some research and report back. Does NX make one?
Old 12-18-2006, 11:53 PM
10 Second Club

http://psi-pro.com/ the magazine article said this one worked
Old 12-19-2006, 12:08 AM
10 Second Club

Nitro dave where you at. I noticed you dont sell one of these and I would like to hear your opinion.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ls1408cp
http://psi-pro.com/ the magazine article said this one worked
Inconclusive testing imo. Sure it will regulate the pressure, but they all do, they did no track testing. The real question is does it hamper performance? We need some before and after back to back to back runs, to see if this really pans out, and how it effects the a/f ratio if it does. Now don't get me wrong, I would love for this to work. I am trying to find the write up on the guy that invented this (might be the one in the article, can't remember), he claims that most were copied from his and they don't quite work as well? Hopefully someone will get one and start testing. I do know they work allright on the smaller hits, but still...
Robert

Edit: Here is a thread on this issue. Read the last post, this is from a guy from NOS.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...rous+regulator
Her's another for more insight.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...rous+regulator
Robert

Last edited by Robert56@NitrousDirect; 12-19-2006 at 02:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Nitrous pressure/flow regulator from ZEX