Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found What/Why my Motor Blew

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
I would just like to point out the engine was running in the corner at the bottom right...not where you have it circled
Not totally true. If you look at the activation rpm and the MAF compared to timing you'll see at wot it started at 26* and stayed there through the ensuing torque build up and didn't drop down till much later in the pull. This is where i believe the ring land went bye-bye, and then ensuing melt down. I think some how I added timing instead of pulling it, and even later when it shows lower timing that's with 1.5 degrees pulled by computer (KR), eventhough the histogram never showed a thing.

Maybe you should have lifted when we were all waving our arms at you
Ya think so.
Robert
Old 04-02-2007, 11:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Robert. it is easy to read the map you have there. You see the scale across the top? That is RPM makes the rest pretty clear. Not picking on you really. I just tune enough to know where to look I will say even in that area you seem to have to much timing

Think we could put at least one wet stage on the car? I am sure I could get Dave to give you a deal on a good DP kit. I would even Sponsor part of it
Old 04-03-2007, 12:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Robert. it is easy to read the map you have there. You see the scale across the top? That is RPM makes the rest pretty clear. Not picking on you really. I just tune enough to know where to look I will say even in that area you seem to have to much timing

Think we could put at least one wet stage on the car? I am sure I could get Dave to give you a deal on a good DP kit. I would even Sponsor part of it
I know, I was just clarifing for those reading along, not really pointing out tuning to one of the premier NW Tuners.

DP, I don't think so. Waiting on the new innovative Dry system coming to hot rodders everywhere. Stay tuned.
Robert
Old 04-03-2007, 12:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No problems here

I know how you feel about dry but if you change where you are shooting it at....

Well any way get that thing up and running again already! BTW buy the rest of the cage now...then your car won't be down later like mine is now
Old 04-03-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

No problems here

I know how you feel about dry but if you change where you are shooting it at....

Well any way get that thing up and running again already! BTW buy the rest of the cage now...then your car won't be down later like mine is now
I thought about it today (DP) and well, we'll see, you never know. Maybe my second stage?

Yea, been thinking about the cage. The vettes are a real pain in the azz, and don't know if I want to tackle it.
Robert
Old 04-03-2007, 10:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So I guess I was on track about the timming.lol

I bet you never make that same mistake.. Screwing up is how I have learned as well. Nothing like hands on experience.
Dave
Old 04-04-2007, 08:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow robert that sucks.. sorry to hear it.. I like you know what kind of borrowed time i'm on

i've been hitting the stock bottom end with 300 wet for a while now.. at 24-26* of timing.. but mine was with tr7ix plugs.. might be my saving grace..

car is currently down getting a built 4L60 but compression and leakdown are still near perfect..

well onward and upward we go...

Mike
Old 04-04-2007, 02:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I KNEW IT!!!!!!!! (this is not related to your issue but....)

YOUR MAF IS MAXXXXXED THE 'eff OUT!!

I *KNEW* it would be...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=186

Camaro Zach:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=196

The only reason mine reads 6lbs higher is I extended the top of the table where it flat-lines on f-bodies.

Glad you found the error though sorry about the the way you had to find it. Here's to bigger and better next time.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by blacktransam
wow robert that sucks.. sorry to hear it.. I like you know what kind of borrowed time i'm on

i've been hitting the stock bottom end with 300 wet for a while now.. at 24-26* of timing.. but mine was with tr7ix plugs.. might be my saving grace..

car is currently down getting a built 4L60 but compression and leakdown are still near perfect..

well onward and upward we go...

Mike
Yikes, yea that's pushing it. If I ahdn't made a mistake, we believe the motor would still be alive. However, with as many passes as I have made it's a wonder it lasted this long. Some tuff azz motors we have.
Robert
Old 04-04-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Frost
I KNEW IT!!!!!!!! (this is not related to your issue but....)

YOUR MAF IS MAXXXXXED THE 'eff OUT!!

I *KNEW* it would be...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=186

Camaro Zach:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=196

The only reason mine reads 6lbs higher is I extended the top of the table where it flat-lines on f-bodies.

Glad you found the error though sorry about the the way you had to find it. Here's to bigger and better next time.
Yes and the problem is? Mine is maxed for my choice of running rich to help save the stock motor. That does not mean it's at it's power peak. Easily over 700hp can be had through the MAF. Now boosted cars are a different story as I said in the other post. Real air flow vs percieved flow increase, meaning the two types of maxing MAF are not exactly the same. All I have to do is reconfig my nozzles and then I am back at 11.5 and MAF will read lower also, and same HP range. It's all about inj DC increases, that is all for the dry. check my a/f on the dyno sheet in the wet vs dry, I start at 11.5 then increase later to 10.8 when second stage comes on, different scenerio.
Tuning, tuning, tuning is key. Even your boosted car maxing the MAF at 550hp and going way rich is tunable and you have a false sense of the MAF being maxed out when in reality it's your tune.
Robert
Old 04-04-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
So I guess I was on track about the timming.lol

I bet you never make that same mistake.. Screwing up is how I have learned as well. Nothing like hands on experience.
Dave
Dave was RIGHT ON THE MONEY with that plug read!

I'd say the plugs were likely the biggest contributer to detonation and hence the destruction of your ringland(you didn't have sparkplugs you had GLOWPLUGS )....and yeah it didn't help that the timing was too high.....
Old 04-04-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Im glad you found out exactly why your engine blew.
This way you wont make the same mistake and you know now it can take more.
Im suprised how much those hyper pistons can take.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert56
Yes and the problem is? Mine is maxed for my choice of running rich to help save the stock motor. That does not mean it's at it's power peak. Easily over 700hp can be had through the MAF......
You can make 9 gazillion through a MAF, the point is that after it's maxxed you can ONLY fuel from the PE table, and that is really a cheat because if your VE and MAF are both in cal then your commanded AFR in PE will be met. HOWEVER, once that MAF is maxxed, it can't be met without cheating the table. That was my point from the getgo.

Originally Posted by Robert56
...Even your boosted car maxing the MAF at 550hp and going way rich is tunable and you have a false sense of the MAF being maxed out when in reality it's your tune.
Robert

It's not the tune (well it kind of is, I'm working through 2bar tuning now) .... I don't have a supercharged car; my boost level isn't bound to RPM. I can make 16psi FAST at 2K in 5th gear, and will be out of first before that psi is made... Once the MAF reaches that peak, all you can do is cheat numbers in PE.

That's the point I was making. There is NO automatic adjustment of fuel once it's maxxed, only what you have preloaded into a table.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Frost
You can make 9 gazillion through a MAF, the point is that after it's maxxed you can ONLY fuel from the PE table, and that is really a cheat because if your VE and MAF are both in cal then your commanded AFR in PE will be met. HOWEVER, once that MAF is maxxed, it can't be met without cheating the table. That was my point from the getgo.

It's not the tune (well it kind of is, I'm working through 2bar tuning now) .... I don't have a supercharged car; my boost level isn't bound to RPM. I can make 16psi FAST at 2K in 5th gear, and will be out of first before that psi is made... Once the MAF reaches that peak, all you can do is cheat numbers in PE.

That's the point I was making. There is NO automatic adjustment of fuel once it's maxxed, only what you have preloaded into a table.
True, I see your point know.
Robert
Old 04-04-2007, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

your 100% correct robert its ALL in the tune.. i run my car VERY rich on the big hits and a good amount of octane..

but i won;t be doing all that anymore..

i'm going boosted..

Mike