Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick question about nitrous (bottle, filling, empty, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 06:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick question about nitrous (bottle, filling, empty, etc)

well i installed my nitrous last night, and i ran the entire bottle LOL. well uh..

empty it weighed 14 lbs, full it weighed 24 lbs, just like the sticker on it says. it also sprays the white cloud when i tested it on the car before i ran it. uh..

so, i think the bottle is empty because I'm just running pig rich when i nail it, yet, i have 1000psi in my bottle, so i took my bottle off and weighed it, ~16lbs, and i cracked the valve and it just blows air... no white cloud anymore.. is this normal, because some one was telling me some shady shops will pump in a bit of air...

either way. its gonna be filled again tomorrow morning haha
Old 05-13-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2lbs will not spray much nitrous out. top it off or takes 2lbs as a loss evry fill.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like maybe you're leaking nitrous out of the bottle, if you lost 8lbs and didn't use any.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:35 PM
11 Second Club

oh no... you must not have read my other thread lol...

i got it hooked up and finished saturday night at like 10... by 2 am it was all gone. lol..

went to use it on the way to work this morn and it was surging and then it basically dumped fuel. so i knew it was all gone, i weighed my bottle cuz i cracked the valve and **** rushed out , anyways when weighing it it still had ~2lbs...
Old 05-13-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=some one was telling me some shady shops will pump in a bit of air...
[/QUOTE]
this is sad if true. can someone chime in if it's possible to load 2 lbs of air in a bottle? because i'm having the same issue and was told that 2lbs wouldn't yield white nitrous out.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

If they pumped in a little bit of air, it shouldn't have that much effect, it would just add to the pressure head to force the liquid out. The liquid is the majority of the 10lbs, since it's alot more dense then air. Thing is when you're down to 2lbs, it sloshes around like any liquid and uncovers the diptube, so you get a mix of liquid and gaseous nitrous in the line, and that's why you get surging.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:24 AM
11 Second Club

gotcha.

getting it refilled in a few mins.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
If they pumped in a little bit of air, it shouldn't have that much effect, it would just add to the pressure head to force the liquid out. The liquid is the majority of the 10lbs, since it's alot more dense then air. Thing is when you're down to 2lbs, it sloshes around like any liquid and uncovers the diptube, so you get a mix of liquid and gaseous nitrous in the line, and that's why you get surging.
would a syphon tube with say 3 syphon ends angled in different directions help to get more of the last 2lbs out? or is this pointless?
with 2 lbs in a bottle, is the liquid nitrous still sitting at the bottom or is it mixed with air and dispersed more in the bottle?
it seems like when down to 2lbs, the nitrous is quite mixed because when i let it out, it feels like compressed air, its not cold nor white when i let it out. i didn't notice any surging of white nitrous when i let out the last 2 bottles.
it's also not usable when i spray it before the maf.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by caliswangin916
would a syphon tube with say 3 syphon ends angled in different directions help to get more of the last 2lbs out? or is this pointless?
with 2 lbs in a bottle, is the liquid nitrous still sitting at the bottom or is it mixed with air and dispersed more in the bottle?
it seems like when down to 2lbs, the nitrous is quite mixed because when i let it out, it feels like compressed air, its not cold nor white when i let it out. i didn't notice any surging of white nitrous when i let out the last 2 bottles.
it's also not usable when i spray it before the maf.
No, if you put more ends on, they'd have to all be submerged. It would kind of be like drinking a straw with 2 ends, one in the drink, one in the air. You'd be sucking air and liquid.

When there's 2lbs left, the liquid is at the bottom. The liquid form is always more dense (heavier) than the gaseous form, so its won't mix much. The other problem is when there's 2lbs left, the bottle has a much harder time keeping pressure. Basically when flowing liquid nitrous, you're using the head pressure of the vapor that's been "boiled off", so to speak, to force the liquid out of the dip tube. The less liquid that remains, the more space that's occupied by the gaseous nitrous which must be replenished (by boiling off the liquid) when the pressure drops as the bottle flows. The bottle heater helps things by warming the nitrous vapors, and increasing the pressure head acting on the liquid. A propane tank is similar to a nitrous bottle being that it's also a liquified compressed gas, but you're pulling off the vapor, not the liquid, so there's no diptube, just a valve at the top. Which is also the difference between a dentist's nitrous bottle and yours. When you empty out a 2lb bottle, you're probably just flowing gaseous nitrous at that point, and not the liquid, likely because the diptube is partially or fully uncovered. That's why you don't see the white cloud you get from the liquid being forced out and evaporating in air.

Basically think of a nitrous bottle as a sealed cup with water, and 2 straws. One which goes to the bottom of the cup and is submerged, another which is just under the lid. If you blow into the short straw and force air into the cup, the water will come out the submerged straw with equal force. If you heat up that pocket of air and water vapor, it will expand, and force out the liquid too.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Teching In

Has anyone on here ever tried to fill a bottle with air? I have tried, and to end an age old arguement, you can hook up a nitrous pump to an empty bottle and let it pump air for 30 minutes if you want. The bottle will weigh the exact same as it did before you started. Just a tib bit of information for everyone.

Quick Reply: quick question about nitrous (bottle, filling, empty, etc)