Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRY HPT SCANS Please take a look.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 12:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DRY HPT SCANS Please take a look.

i just made a new nozzle bracket under my lid for a single stage. please look at these scans and tell me if i'm going into the right directions. i'll post a pic of the nozzle bracket tomorrow.

bottle pressure was above 900 when i left the house. heater was turned on to max out at 1050 but i do not know for sure what the psi was when i did these runs.
there is
1. an NA scan. AFR=11.5 due to my tune.

3. a 76-108 mph scan. no KR. afr=11.0-10.6.

2. a 32-76mph scan. KR but AFR is good around 11.0 then eases up to 11.5 towards the end. inj DC does not follow the rpm curve as much as i would like but afr stays good. i believe the KR came up because i'm running a stock 00 f-body table. i have my timing set to be pulled once the iat comes down but since it was from a low mph roll and takes the iat some time to lower may have cause the kr. so it seems like an easy fix by just lowering my timing table.

from what i can tell, i should be able to lean out the afr for NA to 12.0 and still maintain an 11.5 when on a low roll and should be able to stay around an 11.0 when on a high roll.
my nitrous inj DC does not increase much more than NA. maybe 4-6% more only. i have lucas 37lb injectors. plastics under airlid removed. the rest is stock. i'm running dynotune 48 jets. i was told by dynotune that it's a 100 shot to the wheels but robietherobot nitrous calculator says that its an 85. so i'm not sure which one is correct. i definitely felt something on the 30-76mph run.
theres a lot more info in the scans that looks good but i'll save you some reading of what i think. thanks for reading all of this and please take the time to analyze my scans and reply. i'll be going to the track tomorrow to test the car if all the conditions are right.
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
1 NA RUN 60-91 MPH RUN.hpl (4.4 KB, 64 views)
Old 07-18-2007, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a dry kit you shouldn't have to sacrifice NA horsepower by running rich. Your NA tune should be closer the 13.0 AFR. You can adjust your nozzle location to help with getting the N20 AFR numbers where you want them to be.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i doubt this tune sacrafices much NA because i could run a 13.5xx consistently on stock tune and all stock equiptment and with the current mods.
with a tune slightly richer(11.5 afr) than this current one(this tune is closer to the 12.0 afr), i ran a 13.6xx with not the best conditions last week. so this one is actually a little leaner and in better conditions should be at 13.5 1/4.
it's only a .1 difference that i can make up if all conditions were the same. the car NA has ran a 13.3 but i have yet to hit it more than once and have never hit 13.4. the car weighs about 3800lbs with me in it. so it looks like NA is in line when it comes to 1/4 track times.

i'm willing to lose up to 25hp NA and just make it up with spray but this tune does not look like i'm giving up more than 10hp if any at all.
my goal is to dual stage it to get into the 11's at 3800lbs which seems almost possible if i go two stages up to 150hp total.

car is a4 with cooler, 85k miles, 160 t-stat, 3800lbs with me.
this nozzle location is very simple and HIDDEN, and i want to share it if i can get input that my scans look good. my maf curve is very similar to NA so tuning would be easy.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i spoke with dynotune and the 48 jet is a 100 shot at the engine so it was 85 or so at the wheels.

i just sprayed a 57 jet which should be 125 at the wheels and afr looks good. in wot, it went down to 11.5 then went to 12.5 for about 1 second when i hit the activation switch, then came down to around 11.5. didn't feel the hit since in was a high roll on the freeway.
can someone please analyze the scan i posted before 5pm pst because i'm heading to the track and would like some direction on what i could do to tune the car better.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you should feel the 57 jet kick in on the freeway...
imo, your tune looks awesome except for the timing: i would watch what your g/cyl readings are when the nitrous kicks in. you can then advance your timing for NA use and take it back a few degrees for when the maf sees more air.
example... let's say when nitrous kicks in, g/cyl is always above .84, i'd advance timing below .84 and keep it retarded .84 through 1.2 g/cyl.

here's a shot of my ghetto timing (not smooth curve at all)...

i start retarding timing at .76 simply because my SS doesn't breathe as well as yours (i'll hit .72 g/cyl NA).

where do you have your dry nozzle located? are you on stock injectors?

Last edited by BobDoLe; 11-15-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

here is my timing table. i have my high and low octane tables set the same because for some reason the pcm would always use the low octane table.
Attached Thumbnails DRY HPT SCANS Please take a look.-timing-table.jpg  

Last edited by caliswangin916; 07-19-2007 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i made some track runs last night on a 125 shot and got a 12.562 at 113. i also got a 12.638 at 114. this is coming from a 13.6xx NA prior last week on the same tune. i didn't make any NA runs yesterday. car was warmer than i would have liked. bottle was at around 950.

1ST RUN-12.638 run: KR is higher at 1.5 going into 3rd?(whatever is at around 90mph. afr could be better. that's why i moved my nozzle for the next run.
BRACKET WAS STRAIGHT WITH THE MAF.
2ND RUN-12.562 run: my NA tune at WOT sits a little lean at around 13.5-12.7 before i hit the nitrous switch. when the nitrous hits i get a small lean bump up to 13.61 from a 12.72 for about .5 seconds. then afr tries to flatten out and has some small bumps. KR comes in at 1* tops.
---everything on this looks good to me except for the 1/4 time. it may be due to suspension and other things outside of the engine. i can live with small KR.
BRACKET WAS SLIGHTLY ANGLED TOWARDS THE IAT.

i didn't change my tune at the track because i think i'm doing pretty good. car felt good and i went home fine. i did notice that when i had my heater on that i was having more problems. i'm not exactly sure what the psi was at but it was definitely higher than 950.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have the lucas 36-37lb injectors.....

here is my tune and a pic of the bracket i made. it's a piece of metal bracing for wood at home depot. i bent the sides where there were perforated holes which made it easy to bend. the goal was to get the single nozzle to hit the wall on the other side and make a plume of nitrous before going towards the maf. the perforated holes on the side opposite the nozzle might be releasing nitrous and thus my times and maf reading could be better.
the nozzle is from an NOS 5177 kit, solenoid is a dynotune 250hp, jet is a 57 from dynotune.

on a cruise roll into WOT, it seems to work better than when i'm on a WOT roll from a dig. this pic is of it angled towards the iat. when i had it lined up straight with the maf, the afr was a little leaner(but ok to me), but a little higher KR(.5*). inj DC does not go much higher than NA DC which leaves room for improvement maybe, but since my afr looks good, i'm not sure if i should mess with it any more. please take a look at all this crap i typed and let me know what you think.

one more thing is the DYN CYL/AIR, i'm not sure if this is a pcm calculation or a sensor that reports it. anyone know?
Attached Thumbnails DRY HPT SCANS Please take a look.-12.562-run-nozzle-bracket.jpg  
Attached Files
Old 07-20-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DYN CYL/AIR... not sure where you're seeing that, is it in the editor or scanner?

if i'm correct in assuming that your general question is pertaining to if there is a pcm calculation or actual sensor reading for airflow/airmass...

the pcm calculates based on airflow and cylinder airmass and airmass is calculated off of airflow sensor readings. your MAF sensor measures airflow in grams per second and converts that into airmass (grams/sec into grams/cyl) with a little calculation involving the number of cylinders and the engine speed.

you're obviously doing something right with that nozzle setup given your gains. if you can make gains like that and not feel the kick, i'm sure your 10bolt will thank you.
how bad does that setup compromise the air filter?
Old 07-20-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the plate is roughly a 2x4 then bent at the sides, i can check on monday. it may be hurting NA since the afr seems a little lean at the start of WOT for 2-3 secs but this is also on a dig. i'll have to find an NA track run to compare.
on an NA roll into WOT, the afr declines very quickly, same on a roll into WOT with nitrous.