Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody have clearance problems with Nitro Dave's new LT1 plate?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grind the most on the waterpump, not the IAC.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also on some applications that have shaved heads or plained intakes I would suggest not even using the gasket to seal it. Just use silicone. The clearences are very tite..
Dave
Old 06-18-2008, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Cool, I will grind somemore on the waterpump...or do ya mean thermostate housing? I DONT have a gasket on there...I was jusy test fitting everything before I stab the motor in...the hole I ground thru on my 2nd IAC housing isnt that big..I have done the throttle body bypass so there is no coolent flowing thru there...wonderin can I just use some good RTV on that hole to patch it up.

Guess I am being extra fussy about it cause...I had fantastic results with the shark and had a pretty clean install with it, when I saw the Plate I really felt like it would flow a 200 shot better if I ever jet up to that..was sprayin 175 thru the shark..for about 4 years..Stock heads and cam, stock bottom end LT1 Impala SS..12.04@115, I built a 396 and got the plate and NANO...just in the whole "Man my heater and shark Nozzle did fine..WTF I spend and a 1000 bucks on a plate ( with custom lines.. thanks Ray ) and a NANO kit for" thing.... Thus making the grinding even MORE of a pain in the ***...BUT this **** came from Nitro Dave..am Im gonna run it till I cant run it no more....Once I get it to fit:

Rod HarriSS

Last edited by Nyte96; 06-18-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:13 PM
FormerVendor

yes you will grind the thermostat housing. I am refering to the gasket that comes with the plate. It adds another 16th. On Kyles car we had to grind the **** out of the thermostat housing and Iac because he wanted the gasket. We just took our time and we eventually got it there... I would have left the gasket off.

All LT1 plates require grinding due to moving the throttle body forward. Its a bit of a pain but I promise the end results is well worth it. And our plate will distribute better than any nozzle or other plate on the market.
Dave
Old 06-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
yes you will grind the thermostat housing. I am refering to the gasket that comes with the plate. It adds another 16th. On Kyles car we had to grind the **** out of the thermostat housing and Iac because he wanted the gasket. We just took our time and we eventually got it there... I would have left the gasket off.

All LT1 plates require grinding due to moving the throttle body forward. Its a bit of a pain but I promise the end results is well worth it. And our plate will distribute better than any nozzle or other plate on the market.
Dave
And this is why I whine...but I STILL grind
Old 06-18-2008, 02:07 PM
FormerVendor

lol... I love it..
Old 06-18-2008, 02:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will this plate work on a TPI car? Sorry for the highjack, I just thought it looked like something I could adapt to my 91'.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:37 PM
FormerVendor

Yes sir it sure will.
Dave
Old 06-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Launching!

You could also possible use two waterpump gaskets to space the waterpump out a hair further, if you're using an electric that is.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Teching In

WHOA....that WOULD work, cause I AM using a Meizure pump on there...and I think I got some extra gaskets...Man, I should have thought of that..but sometimes the Forest Gump in me takes over.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Won't help as much as using actual spacers in between the WP and block like the guy earlier in the thread, but if you're having a problem grinding through IAC housings or something it might give you that extra bit you need.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Got it to Fit...just kept grinding and fitting, grinding and fitting, another thing that kinda sux is..I just got a Red Anodized MBA map sensor cover...cant use it with this..the Nitrous line bulkhead fitting wont screw on to plate with it there...ANOTHER thing is I had to put washers behind the top TB bolts due to the Bolt in front if the MAP sensor was digging into it, so had to put to washers behind the bolts...NOW its time to clean all this Aluminum dust off my engine..yeah this was officially a pain in the ***, but will add that the Throttle body bores match up pretty much perfect..just the grinding was the pain...and I guess If I KNEW I was goin to have to grind that much..the pain would have been a lot less..Im thinking this thing is gonna hit hard though. I hope these additions to this thread helps somebody else with their install...like I said, it was a pain in tha ***..but I think Im gonna like it (even doe I had to lost my bling...MBA cover,...it was SWEET too)

Thanks for the help guys
Old 06-19-2008, 11:01 PM
12 Second Club

I would like to hear some opinions from the people that went from a single nozzle to a plate, on if they saw any performance gain or not.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:26 AM
Teching In

You Know...Now that I think about it..my Shark nozzle is STILL in plce in my intake bellows, I could do some back to back testing if anybody is interested...think it would be a real good test, back to back runs...same day, same track conditions..same bottle pressure (I have a NANO) it definitly could be a shark nozzle verses Nitro Daves LT1 plate Shootout with real time, unbiased results, not that any previous results were biased in anyway...In my opinion..I think the plate is going to perform, but I will defintyly see..wont be too hard to just switch over to the nozzle...just a line swap
Old 06-20-2008, 10:13 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Nyte96
Got it to Fit...just kept grinding and fitting, grinding and fitting, another thing that kinda sux is..I just got a Red Anodized MBA map sensor cover...cant use it with this..the Nitrous line bulkhead fitting wont screw on to plate with it there...ANOTHER thing is I had to put washers behind the top TB bolts due to the Bolt in front if the MAP sensor was digging into it, so had to put to washers behind the bolts...NOW its time to clean all this Aluminum dust off my engine..yeah this was officially a pain in the ***, but will add that the Throttle body bores match up pretty much perfect..just the grinding was the pain...and I guess If I KNEW I was goin to have to grind that much..the pain would have been a lot less..Im thinking this thing is gonna hit hard though. I hope these additions to this thread helps somebody else with their install...like I said, it was a pain in tha ***..but I think Im gonna like it (even doe I had to lost my bling...MBA cover,...it was SWEET too)

Thanks for the help guys

We need to go to a shorter bolt then. The bolts comming in the plates are the ones that came with our older thicker plate. This plate is thiner.
Dave
Old 06-20-2008, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Yeah...but it took Less than a second to fix, I had some stainless stell TB bolt washers that came with my LT1 bolt kit from Alloyboltz.com...so guess you could go shorter bolts or throw some washers in there...Im sure you have a plan in place doe haha, man...this thing looks nice on here though. I just hope my Thermostate dont leak
Old 06-22-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm I can't even remember when I had ordered mine, now I know I probably have to grind something. Thankfully my engine is on a stand though, guess it should be easier to work on that way, I already had to open the intake openings a little more, they were slightly off, even though the last owner ported it out.

So does the grinding only occur if you have a new plate? When did it change?
Old 06-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Teching In

My engine is on a stand too...I think everybody has had to grind with the plate, the NEW ones are thinner from wut NitroDave said..once you know you got to grind..it aint THAT bad, I think Im gonna like it.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:50 AM
Teching In

Got another question on this one, my plate in installed, but I only have a gasket between the plate and the Intake manifold, the side the the throttle body is mated to has no gasket there, I am ASSUMING the gasket that came with the kit is to replace the throttle body gasket there was on the intake before you remove the throttle to install the plate, so do you re-use the TB gasket that was already on the engine and use the gasket that came with the plate between the plate and TB?

THX

ROD
Old 07-05-2008, 10:24 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyte96
Got another question on this one, my plate in installed, but I only have a gasket between the plate and the Intake manifold, the side the the throttle body is mated to has no gasket there, I am ASSUMING the gasket that came with the kit is to replace the throttle body gasket there was on the intake before you remove the throttle to install the plate, so do you re-use the TB gasket that was already on the engine and use the gasket that came with the plate between the plate and TB?

THX

ROD
Correct you re-use the intake side gasket and use Dave's gasket on the plate to thottlebody side. If you do not use that gasket make sure you use some RTV. You have to have something in there sealing it or you will have vacuum leaks.

Quick Reply: Anybody have clearance problems with Nitro Dave's new LT1 plate?