Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Nitrous & Fuel lines

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Nitrous & Fuel lines

I'm installing my Nitrous Express NXL kit and have reached a dilemma. They provided me with line and ends to create my own fuel and nitrous lines. However, while I believe I can do it, I don't trust my car to home fabricated lines. The last thing I want is fuel spraying all over my hot headers if a line breaks.

I want to purchase more trust worthy lines, but I haven't decided on what type of line. I'm considering the following prefabricated lines; black hose (same stuff that came with the kit), braided lines, or maybe even mandrel bent hard lines. This is a direct port wet system so we are talking about 16 lines. Any comments, recommendations or examples? Yes, I know it's not going to be cheap so if anyone can recommend a place that will give me a good price, I'm all ears.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:57 AM
10 Second Club

Man I have the exact same kit and I feel the same way it is really weird how they have you route all the fuel and nitrous lines I would just like a cleaner look like the mandrel bent hard lines I have been meaning to hit up Nitrous Outlet and talking to them about it I am sure they can do something, more of a winter project though I wanna keep having fun in my car while I can, But yeah I would give Nitrous Outlet a call they have always been lots of help
Old 10-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Banned

These guys make up custom lines. They're who I get my bottles filled with too and have some (???) "friends" on this board.

http://www.ormebrothers.com/
Old 10-18-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I went with -4 stainless steel braided lines on my NXL kit. I have heard about the black lines getting brittle and breaking or cracking in the past.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CODE4LS1
I went with -4 stainless steel braided lines on my NXL kit. I have heard about the black lines getting brittle and breaking or cracking in the past.
Dd you have them custom made or did you use standard lengths. Can you tell me what the lengths were?
Old 10-18-2007, 05:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike101
Man I have the exact same kit and I feel the same way it is really weird how they have you route all the fuel and nitrous lines I would just like a cleaner look like the mandrel bent hard lines I have been meaning to hit up Nitrous Outlet and talking to them about it I am sure they can do something, more of a winter project though I wanna keep having fun in my car while I can, But yeah I would give Nitrous Outlet a call they have always been lots of help
I just spoke to Chris with Nitrous Outlet, nice guy. I may just make a trip to Hewitt, TX (Home of Nitrous Outlet) and have hard lines made. The cost for the labor and the lines is about the same as purchasing braided lines. I think it will look cleaner as well. I'm certain it will make changing the pills a little more difficult, but it's not like I'll be changing those more than few times.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

hard lines, bend them and flare them yourself cut to length and your done
Old 10-18-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

What dpw said, or because I am always changing jets on mine, stainless steel braided work better for me. Contact Ricky here on the forum, he used to work for NX and might know the lengths and/or if there is a kit/option you can buy from NX directly.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:33 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you like the look of the NXL Lines but just do not trust your self to build them we can do it for you. They are a pain in the but so I understand your fustration...

If you want to switch to hardline or braided hoses we can do that for you as well.

You would just need to send us your intake and system.

Let me know if I can help in any way.
Dave
Old 10-19-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Harris Speed Works offers custom made-to-length braided hoses. Very good prices too.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Can you make your own nitrous lines safely without the right crimp machine to do it?

I have a 16' Dynotune 4an nitrous line that I want to shorten to 9 feet. I have called every hose company in my area. Nobody can do such a small line. They don't have the die for it. They can do 6an all day. But I don't see myself ever spraying above a 200 shot of nitrous.

What are my options? I can have one made for $50 from Harris, but is there a way to cut my line and rig something up myself? Will it safely hold 2000psi if needed?
Old 10-22-2007, 12:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
Can you make your own nitrous lines safely without the right crimp machine to do it?

I have a 16' Dynotune 4an nitrous line that I want to shorten to 9 feet. I have called every hose company in my area. Nobody can do such a small line. They don't have the die for it. They can do 6an all day. But I don't see myself ever spraying above a 200 shot of nitrous.

What are my options? I can have one made for $50 from Harris, but is there a way to cut my line and rig something up myself? Will it safely hold 2000psi if needed?
Check with Chris at Nitrous Outlet. I bet he can help you.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can cut it and put on a compression fitting. I had my nitrous line rub on my header and put a nick in it. I cut it off and put a compression fitting on it and it worked for quite a while.

Why would you expect it to hold 2000 psi?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PAGregSS
You can cut it and put on a compression fitting. I had my nitrous line rub on my header and put a nick in it. I cut it off and put a compression fitting on it and it worked for quite a while.

Why would you expect it to hold 2000 psi?
It's just a safe pressure rating that I just threw out there. The line should NEVER see more than 1200psi for any reason. I spray nitrous with a bottle pressure of 1050psi.

I think I may have found a hydraulic shop that can crimp a line with a 3/16" ID and 5/16" OD. Most hydraulic shops can't go that small. I am going to pay them a visit to see if they can do it for me.

But I had no idea that a compression fitting can handle 1000+ psi.

Thanks for the info. If I run into any more problems, I'll contact Chris as recommended.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:10 PM
FormerVendor

You can sedn your hose to us and we can shorten it and put a new end on it. However by the time you pay for shipping both ways and the cost of the hose ends you would probley be just as good getting another hose.

Like suggested abvove I know summit sells a fitting for doing it yourself. I have never looked at it but I have talk to people that did it.
Dave
Old 10-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
You can sedn your hose to us and we can shorten it and put a new end on it. However by the time you pay for shipping both ways and the cost of the hose ends you would probley be just as good getting another hose.

Like suggested abvove I know summit sells a fitting for doing it yourself. I have never looked at it but I have talk to people that did it.
Dave
Thank you for the response. Yesterday I found a hydraulic hose and fittings shop that has the machine in order to crimp a 3/16" ID and 5/16" OD 4an hose. The 4an fitting is known as a JIC4 in the hydraulic world. If you refer to it as a 4an fitting, they will be very confused.

I went ahead and shortened my hose from 16' to 9' and put a fitting on both hoses so I can have a spare if ever needed. The fittings were $15 each! It cost me $38 to have two fittings crimped on. Only took 10 minutes. I could have a bought a brand new 9 foot hose for $45. But, at least I found a local shop that has the ability to make hoses for me. Next time, I will get my own fittings and bring them in.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:33 AM
FormerVendor

Good deal. Yes us Nitrous guys forget that there is a different terminology in the Hydraulic world.
Dave

Quick Reply: Custom Nitrous & Fuel lines