Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel system for 300+ shot?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008 | 04:32 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Default Fuel system for 300+ shot?

My new engine is almost done, 425 stroker, setup for nitrous. Looking to run a 300 shot with a NOS doublecross plate setup (single plane manifold), might go to 400, goal is 9's, we'll see if it can get there on the 300 first.

My question is what are you guys that are running big shots doing for your fuel system? I'm putting in a 15gal cell and wondering if I should run one pump that's big enough to handle the motor (~600hp) and the nitrous, or run a separate pump and regulator for the nitrous? If I go with a separate pump/regulator for the nitrous, should I run it off of the 15gal cell to keep it simple, or run a separate tank? I know some folks run a separate tank and run race gas in that tank, how much a difference does that really make?

I'm asking over here because you guys have experience with nitrous and EFI. The guy I've been talking with works for NOS, but only does carb'd setups. I was going to have him flow test my plate and setup my jettings, but he can only do it for a carb setup, so 10psi. Is it ok to run the plate at 10psi on an EFI system? That's of course using a separate pump and regulator. Or should I run the plate at 45psi and find someone who can setup the jetting for EFI?

Thanks guys.
Old 03-03-2008 | 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can do it any way you want...It's personal preference. I had two pumps pulling from a sumped stock tank, and it worked perfect. For a big shot like you're running, it would be a better idea. You can run a smaller magnafuel pump for the kit, and a larger one for the motor.

No matter how you do it, run two regulators. If you use one pump, look into the magnafuel fuel-log. That way you can run a bypass regulator for the carb, and put the standard holley dead-head regulator in front of it for the plate. That way you can adjust both independently(important with a big shot like that).

www.YellowBullet.com There's a ton of hardcore nitrous guys on there.

And, I totally missed the EFI part. The same still applies, but you'd be better off running two pumps. EFI pumps are designed to make pressure over volume. There will be no issues with running the plate at 6-7psi(whatever the manufacturer suggest) on an efi car. You should definitely run 2 fuel systems though.

Last edited by b00sted; 03-03-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-03-2008 | 05:32 PM
Chris@NitroDaves

We have several different kinds of dedicateds
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...del=73&dept=11

In High pressure ( 50-60PSI ) they will support 900hp
In Low pressure ( 5-15PSI ) they will support 1200hp

We also can build you a custom dedicated that will suite your needs.

-Chris
Old 03-03-2008 | 06:15 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Chris@NitroDaves
We have several different kinds of dedicateds
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...del=73&dept=11

In High pressure ( 50-60PSI ) they will support 900hp
In Low pressure ( 5-15PSI ) they will support 1200hp

We also can build you a custom dedicated that will suite your needs.

-Chris
Thanks Chris.

So there's no issues with running a low pressure dedicated setup for the nitrous on an EFI vehicle?
Old 03-03-2008 | 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

what's the R3/W5 in your sig mean?

I run a 255 intank and a 255 in my stand-alone and have no issues. I run both high pressure but it really doesn't matter if you wanted to run the stand-alone low pressure only. I just kept it that way so I wouldn't have guess so much starting off in jet sizes...
Old 03-03-2008 | 07:26 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Lythropus
what's the R3/W5 in your sig mean?

I run a 255 intank and a 255 in my stand-alone and have no issues. I run both high pressure but it really doesn't matter if you wanted to run the stand-alone low pressure only. I just kept it that way so I wouldn't have guess so much starting off in jet sizes...
R3 is a Mopar race block, so it'll handle anything I throw at it, our stock blocks are only good up to around 600hp, some have gone higher, but it's not a good idea. My engine will go on the dyno here in the next few weeks, hoping for around 600hp, then I'll spray 3-400 on top of that, so I didn't want to have to worry about the block giving up on me. W5's are Mopar aluminum heads, pretty good for what we have available to us, mine flow 315cfm at .600 (which is the lift I'll be running .605/.590).

I'll probably keep it low pressure on the dedicated setup, that way I can use my guy's jettings. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to be a problem.
Old 03-03-2008 | 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Man if your building a cell setup anyway, it would be so easy to include a dedicated n2o fuel system. That's what I have done, totally dedicated fuel system that is n2o activated and runs on a WS. This is done with an in tank Racetronics (Walbro) pump, and an in-line Bosch, separate pick ups at main tank. My contention is the fact that the standalone guys run race gas in the small cell, and pump gas in the main tank, not good. Who wants the watered down octane mix when running a big shot. Anyway, it my personal web in sig, we have two, "Fuel System Upgrade", write ups. One system I run, and one that fellow mod TheBlurLS1 runs, and he wrote his own writeup (both have much extra info). Surely you can get some insight and info on our fuel systems, and may help choose witch way you want to go. Good Luck
Robert
Old 03-03-2008 | 11:29 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
Man if your building a cell setup anyway, it would be so easy to include a dedicated n2o fuel system. That's what I have done, totally dedicated fuel system that is n2o activated and runs on a WS. This is done with an in tank Racetronics (Walbro) pump, and an in-line Bosch, separate pick ups at main tank. My contention is the fact that the standalone guys run race gas in the small cell, and pump gas in the main tank, not good. Who wants the watered down octane mix when running a big shot. Anyway, it my personal web in sig, we have two, "Fuel System Upgrade", write ups. One system I run, and one that fellow mod TheBlurLS1 runs, and he wrote his own writeup (both have much extra info). Surely you can get some insight and info on our fuel systems, and may help choose witch way you want to go. Good Luck
Robert
That's what I was thinking, the cell I'm putting in has two -8 feeds in the sump, use one for the engine, and one for the nitrous. I'm trying to bring up your site, but can't at the moment, but I'm on a Navy ship at the moment and the internet sucks, so I'll try it again later. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2008 | 04:09 PM
9 Second Club

I ran an Weldon high pressure pump for my motor and a Magnafuel low pressure pump for the hose. Both came off the stock tank that was sumped. One system on each side of the car running the length of the car. It adds weight. I now have one system that runs all of it. (DRY KIT)
Old 03-04-2008 | 06:38 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by GueSS Who
I ran an Weldon high pressure pump for my motor and a Magnafuel low pressure pump for the hose. Both came off the stock tank that was sumped. One system on each side of the car running the length of the car. It adds weight. I now have one system that runs all of it. (DRY KIT)
That's exactly what I was thinking, run one system down each side of the frame. Glad to hear that you didn't have any issues running low pressure for the spray. One system would be nice to keep the weight down, but I guess I can live with this.

Thanks guys for the help! This is my first time messing with nitrous, kind of jumping in with both feet and I want to make sure I do it right.
Old 03-04-2008 | 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

I thought about doing the one system feeds all, though I had all the parts to just add a -8 bung in the tank. Plus, mine is a true street/strip, and having the aux shut off when not needed is nice, no heating the fuel up, nor added noise. When are going after your best ET from last year, lol?
Robert
Old 03-04-2008 | 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

I am set up to handle 300+ also (forged 370). I am using dual Walbro's in the stock Tank. -10 fuel line, aeromotive rails, 42# injectors, with a aeromotive regulator. I have only sprayed a 150 so far but from what I know it will work with no problems.
Old 03-05-2008 | 03:39 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
I thought about doing the one system feeds all, though I had all the parts to just add a -8 bung in the tank. Plus, mine is a true street/strip, and having the aux shut off when not needed is nice, no heating the fuel up, nor added noise. When are going after your best ET from last year, lol?
Robert

Should be up and running soon. Supporting 2 cars can get to be a hand full. The red car needs new lifters and head gaskets. ( I broke another rocker and had to take off the head to make sure it didn't do any damage) While it is down I upgraded to 2in headers with 4in merge collector. My heads are being ported more on the exhaust side and getting new springs. I now run a Weldon 2345 with 84lb injectors. I am adding the 3rd stage to it also. (another 200) That will be a total of 700. 1st stage 225, 2nd is 275, and the 3rd will be an additional 200. Got to love the dry kit. I havn't hurt one thing other then the rockers that were "THE OLD DESIGN". I am running 9 degrees of total timing without the 3rd stage so I might not have any timing in it on the hose. 7.9s here I come
Old 03-16-2008 | 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Should be up and running soon. Supporting 2 cars can get to be a hand full. The red car needs new lifters and head gaskets. ( I broke another rocker and had to take off the head to make sure it didn't do any damage) While it is down I upgraded to 2in headers with 4in merge collector. My heads are being ported more on the exhaust side and getting new springs. I now run a Weldon 2345 with 84lb injectors. I am adding the 3rd stage to it also. (another 200) That will be a total of 700. 1st stage 225, 2nd is 275, and the 3rd will be an additional 200. Got to love the dry kit. I havn't hurt one thing other then the rockers that were "THE OLD DESIGN". I am running 9 degrees of total timing without the 3rd stage so I might not have any timing in it on the hose. 7.9s here I come
Are those the new Racetronic injectors? As soon as I bought my 1 7/8 Kooks, they released the 2 inchers, what a bitch, lol. That's one hell of a shot, but if anyone can do it on the LSx platform...well the dry helps... Good luck
Robert

Quick Reply: Fuel system for 300+ shot?