Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous/Propane Injection.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous/Propane Injection.

Alright... A friend of mine (a viper master-mechanic....just so you guys know he's not just another "random friend") has been talking to me about putting propane on my SS to go w/ the nitrous system. At first I laughed at him but after doing some research it doesnt seem too far-fetched, theres actually videos of cars running of off the mix. It makes some sense seeing how our intakes arent meant to have gas running through them and propane is what? 109 octane? BUT i wanted to get the LS1 pros' opinions on it.

From what I have read all I would need would be another tank, some more main line and another n20 sol.

What do you guys think? ... FYI... I have a wet system on the car now, but have been having problems with my A/F... Im looing at a standalone system if this propane idea doest end up being the way to go.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

interesting..... i know diesel's love the propane.... but have never heard of putting it on a gas burner to actually improve performance. Only gas burners i have ever been in with propane were slow as ****. I know you are not going to run the car on it, but i would like to see what its all about.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

You can do it quite effectively. However, you definitely need to make sure your oil system is top notch. Propane burns drier than gas and will cause premature wear on your cylinder bores. Watch carefully for metal shavings on the magnetic tip of your oil plug if you do it.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FST WIN0
Alright... A friend of mine (a viper master-mechanic....just so you guys know he's not just another "random friend") has been talking to me about putting propane on my SS to go w/ the nitrous system. At first I laughed at him but after doing some research it doesnt seem too far-fetched, theres actually videos of cars running of off the mix. It makes some sense seeing how our intakes arent meant to have gas running through them and propane is what? 109 octane? BUT i wanted to get the LS1 pros' opinions on it.

From what I have read all I would need would be another tank, some more main line and another n20 sol.

What do you guys think? ... FYI... I have a wet system on the car now, but have been having problems with my A/F... Im looing at a standalone system if this propane idea doest end up being the way to go.
Here is some info on propane injection with nitrous...

Pros:
100-110 octane

Has a slight cooling effect when introduced into the intake

Replaces the gasoline normally used when introducing nitrous, so you don't need bigger injectors, bigger fuel pumps, or a stand alone fuel system

Mixes better with air, no puddling or intake manifold backfires

Much cheaper than racing fuel

Cons:

Having a barbecue canister in your trunk or behind the front seats and having it explode in a collision... not fun.

Heavier than air. So if you get a leak, it will stay low near your feet. One spark, and boom.

Last edited by chucklaw; 03-13-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

By the way, can you find out from your friend what parts are needed to do the conversion? What jets do you use for the propane side? I'm interested in doing a system myself.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Launching!

Very interesting. I agree about needing a very good oiling system. Arn't there different seals you can get for the intake side that are propane friendly?
Old 03-14-2008, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Propane Info Thread

Robert
Old 03-15-2008, 01:58 AM
Launching!

So where's the jet chart?
Old 03-15-2008, 04:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Soul Crusher
+1
Old 03-15-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Soul Crusher
Originally Posted by chucklaw
+1
I do have it somewhere, but haven't been able to find it yet. With redoing my web site and building my car, time has been valuable. I promise i will find it this weekend, as long as someone keeps reminding me, lol.

The one draw back with running propane is dialing in an exact a/f desired. You certainly can get a safe a/f, but it will be a little rich for the most part and can vary from timt to time. Not as stable compared to using a fuel jet. the best route is a 3-way set-up, meaning having the propane as a kicker or an enhancer. That way you basically dial in on the fuel system then add some propane on top, or when a 2nd stage hits, or both.
Robert
Old 03-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Robert56
I do have it somewhere, but haven't been able to find it yet. With redoing my web site and building my car, time has been valuable. I promise i will find it this weekend, as long as someone keeps reminding me, lol.

The one draw back with running propane is dialing in an exact a/f desired. You certainly can get a safe a/f, but it will be a little rich for the most part and can vary from timt to time. Not as stable compared to using a fuel jet. the best route is a 3-way set-up, meaning having the propane as a kicker or an enhancer. That way you basically dial in on the fuel system then add some propane on top, or when a 2nd stage hits, or both.
Robert
What's a good A/F ratio to go for when tuning the propane system? I have been looking around for parts and have come up with most everything I need. I'd like to run a Hobbs pressure switch on the propane so that nitrous will be turned off when a minimum pressure is reached in the bottle (140-150 for example). I also found a composite propane tank that is clear so you can see the propane level inside. I'm still looking for the #4an to the tank adaptor. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I've seen this kit for sale for $675. I can do it for substatially less. I will keep everyone posted.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

By the way, the composite tank is DOT approved.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

That's alot of posts...

I see you posted this in the top 11 threads in the Nitrous forum.

EDIT: He's been warned.
Robert

Last edited by Robert56; 03-16-2008 at 03:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Nitrous/Propane Injection.