Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I avoid a "nitrous hiccup"?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008 | 09:47 PM
Launching!

Default How can I avoid a "nitrous hiccup"?

I'm going to be putting a TNT kit on my car this year.A couple of years ago I saw a guy in a Z06 blow the hood off his car and start it on fire.I was told that it was a nitrous hiccup.This is my biggest fear with running nitrous.What could have caused that, and what is the best way to make sure it doesn't happen to me?
Old 04-01-2008 | 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Just make damn shore your timing is right and the right spark plugs , right Jets and fuel mixture, nitrous pressure ,And dont engage it below 3000 rpms, Or go dry shot. I like the fogger because it spray directly in the cylinder . Spraying thew the throttle body is good but, just watch for fuel puddling that were the explosion come from
Old 04-02-2008 | 02:11 PM
10 Second Club

Good advice above. I'd add that logging EVERY run with a WB is a good indicator of what is going on during your runs. Dry systems rely on your existing fuel system and MAF to keep up with fuel demand so, when you start spraying over 150 shot, it gets kinda hairy relying on your MAF to keep up with demand.

I'm partial to wet systems. Typically, the worse that can happen is your car will fall flat on it's face when they system starts up due to a rich condition. That is typically easily tuned out with jetting and/or feed line length.

Hope this helps,

BS
Old 04-02-2008 | 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

que in robert on dry in 3....2....1....... lol.
Old 04-02-2008 | 02:44 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by algws6
LOL....I'm only voicing my own opinion based on experience. I'm an old guy too....
Old 04-02-2008 | 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL!!!! you know you been on tech long enough when you can make apost like that
Old 04-02-2008 | 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

definitely a WB, If you run a wet kit make shore you use a purge ,so keep from have a rich spike, And put the purge solenoid as close as you can to the nitrous solenoid .This get the gases out of the line and get the liquid to the solenoid.
Old 04-02-2008 | 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by barkingspud
LOL....I'm only voicing my own opinion based on experience. I'm an old guy too....

i here ya, i have done both wet and dry and prefer wet. as far as the original hicup question, randy pretty much covered it.
Old 04-02-2008 | 04:04 PM
10 Second Club

i here ya, i have done both wet and dry and prefer wet. as far as the original hicup question, randy pretty much covered it.
Well...I would add a wideband to the equation as well....
Old 04-02-2008 | 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
Just make damn shore your timing is right and the right spark plugs , right Jets and fuel mixture, nitrous pressure ,And dont engage it below 3000 rpms, Or go dry shot. I like the fogger because it spray directly in the cylinder . Spraying thew the throttle body is good but, just watch for fuel puddling that were the explosion come from
I just don't get it. It just never ever stops. Where on earth do you get this implication to not run a dry hit to avoid a backfire, or hic up. This is absolute nonsense. It's the other way around. If you want to avoid a backfire, stay away from wet hits. Check the wet vs dry thread, I give pages of destruction from the wet hit (pictures included), and after searching for many years, no one besides myself can come up with this destruction or backfires running a DRY hit. These old wive's tales really do a dis service to the entire nitrous field. Do we want to stay with 40 year old carburetor technology of the wet hit, or do we want to move on the the modern/today technology of the EFI/PCM and Dry hit. For me it's no brainier, being around the spray from day one, I really can't see any benefits any longer of running a wet hit in any shape or form. Direct Port Dry hits are becoming more and more popular for a reason, actually many reasons. It makes no difference to me whether you run wet or dry, we just want the correct facts put out there, so not busting any ***** at all.
Robert
Old 04-02-2008 | 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

I think the hiccup as you put it is due to a bog.

I run wet kits because I'm in a bind when it come to dyno availability. If I had my choice, I would run a DP Dry. There will always be a risk of backfire, but wet kits cause fires in addition to the backfire.

Don't sweat the backfires. Just set your window switch to 3K and hook up to a WOT
Old 04-02-2008 | 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

robert, i think you need to realize not everyone likes dry kits. there have been numerous people (including yourself) that have had a dry backfire, and just like a wet backfire it is usually because of user error. everyone on this site knows your opinion so just let it go. different strokes.
Old 04-02-2008 | 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

My car backfired twice(and set the carb on fire for a few second) when going into 2nd. Pulled another degree of timing and bumped up the plate's fuel pressure, and it was mint.

You've just gotta stay on top of your tune. If the temperature drops, be prepared to pull a little timing and add a little fuel to compensate. Check your plugs often(at least), and run a wideband if possible.

I also don't like wet kits on LS1s unless it's a plate or fogger on a 4150 style intake. After seeing all the badass dry direct ports and other badass dry kits, I'd rather just stay with those and add fuel through the ecu.
Old 04-02-2008 | 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

I run both, N.O.S Pro fogger and a shark nozzle dry. ,Ive been running nitrous for about 20 years and i just don't like spraying fuel horizontal threw the intake. The fuel just don't have time to evaporate ,heat make fuel evaporate but with nitrous witch is very very cold slow down the evaporation and the fuel is heavy and will lay down in the intake and if there is any kind of misfire on any cylinder will cause a violent explosion when oxygen enriched fuel over the whole intake, Now with the dry kit, Nitrous is not flammable it adds oxygen to the fuel witch make it more volatile ,With EFI like the LS1 style engines the injectors spray directly in the runner witch similar to a direct port were the fuel and nitrous is spray in the runner witch is contained to the specific cylinder. YOU must treat nitrous with respect if you don't it will bite you in the *** or billfold either way it hearts. Dont get me wrong Ive run plate systems in the past on carb. style engines and had my share of hiccup and back fire, But To me dry and direct port is a lot safer. but thats just me.
Old 04-03-2008 | 12:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

robert, i think you need to realize not everyone likes dry kits. there have been numerous people (including yourself) that have had a dry backfire, and just like a wet backfire it is usually because of user error. everyone on this site knows your opinion so just let it go. different strokes.
True, most of the regulars Know about the dry hits; however, if you see all the threads like I do, you'd see exactly how many get the dry thing totally wrong. I mean daily the old wive's tales fly concerning the dry hits, and I corrected some bull sh*t today. So please realize that I am not trying to convert guys like you, but when many thousands read a thread, and only, for the most part, the regulars respond, how many are picking up new info because of die hard guys like myself. Things would never change on any front if we didn't put all the correct info out at every chance. Once again, you imply that dry back fires are common, OK, my challenge to you is to prove this, find someone besides me that has had one. You won't, it's been an open challenge for many years. Mine was due to pushing my package to the absolute brink of disaster. So anyway, because you like wet, I could say the same thing to you, like, drop your insight and opinions because I know what you like. Hope this isn't taken as an insult, just letting you and others reading along know where I am coming from. By the way, you should see my pms and e-mails on the dry info sought, esp the new DP Dry systems, many think it can't be done, so we will be hitting this topic a lot, sorry.
Robert
Old 04-03-2008 | 12:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Good insight, and covers things in a nut shell. Our problem with the plastic intakes and backfire is the fact that the fuel rails and injectors become dislodged and big fires can occur. The wet backfire can be pretty violent, and a dry to a lesser extent, but still no burn downs known in the n2o world from a dry backfire. It's really not a gigantic problem, but it is there none the less. I have now even gone as far as choosing a Vic Jr intake for the added strenght of the aluminum and the center inlet (the front inlet is another area that effects the backfire being more violent).
Robert
Originally Posted by jmill96Z
I think the hiccup as you put it is due to a bog.

I run wet kits because I'm in a bind when it come to dyno availability. If I had my choice, I would run a DP Dry. There will always be a risk of backfire, but wet kits cause fires in addition to the backfire.

Don't sweat the backfires. Just set your window switch to 3K and hook up to a WOT
Old 04-03-2008 | 12:32 AM
11 Second Club

If it was the yellow Z06, I think he bypassed his window switch and bogged down on the launch causing his system to spray too early in the rpm range.
Old 04-03-2008 | 05:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Caribe
If it was the yellow Z06, I think he bypassed his window switch and bogged down on the launch causing his system to spray too early in the rpm range.
Wow,it was a yellow z06.I was like 2 cars behind him in the staging lanes.
I didn't want to start a wet vs dry argument.What I have is a TNT wet system,so that what I'm going with.I just wanted some info on how to avoid blowing up my car.I appreciate the advice,Thanks.I already purchased an MSD digtal window switch.I'll be getting tr6 plugs.And I won't try the N20 until I feel confident in my tune.Thanks again
Old 04-03-2008 | 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Robert56
True, most of the regulars Know about the dry hits; however, if you see all the threads like I do, you'd see exactly how many get the dry thing totally wrong. I mean daily the old wive's tales fly concerning the dry hits, and I corrected some bull sh*t today. So please realize that I am not trying to convert guys like you, but when many thousands read a thread, and only, for the most part, the regulars respond, how many are picking up new info because of die hard guys like myself. Things would never change on any front if we didn't put all the correct info out at every chance. Once again, you imply that dry back fires are common, OK, my challenge to you is to prove this, find someone besides me that has had one. You won't, it's been an open challenge for many years. Mine was due to pushing my package to the absolute brink of disaster. So anyway, because you like wet, I could say the same thing to you, like, drop your insight and opinions because I know what you like. Hope this isn't taken as an insult, just letting you and others reading along know where I am coming from. By the way, you should see my pms and e-mails on the dry info sought, esp the new DP Dry systems, many think it can't be done, so we will be hitting this topic a lot, sorry.
Robert
never did i imply the dry backfires are often but, i have taken this challenge before with you on cf and sited someone on that site, now i will do it on this site. badhabbitbird from this site had a dry backfire. why? user error (sean chime in if im wrong). you just seem to beat the subject to death and quite frankly it gets old. do you see the wet guys (ha ha) screaming WET WET WET on every thread? no, because there is plenty of info on this site for someone to decide for themselves. you also seem to repeat that us wet guys are in the dark ages, which to me is an insult. why don't you just sight the wet vs dry thread and let the person decide from there. hell, sometimes people aren't even asking a question about that and you still throw in your two cents regaurding dry. like i said everyone that has been on this site more than 2 days knows your opinion and if any newbies need info the search feature will bring up answers to 99% of their questions.

Last edited by algws6; 04-03-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-03-2008 | 05:09 PM
TECH Regular
15 Year Member

I also saw the backfire at rsd and it was when he bogged off the line. There was also another black vette that was on the street that blew up like 10 ft from me.It was the 2nd race and he launched and bogged and it blew the fast intake up and lit the pieces on fire. he was lucky that someone had a fire extinguisher to put it out.

Quick Reply: How can I avoid a "nitrous hiccup"?