Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Throttle Timing Tuner: Good or Junk?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Full Throttle Timing Tuner: Good or Junk?

I was recommended to use this by the company that I bought my N2O kit from. A local shop then told me that it's junk and the only way to safely adjust the timing for nitrous is to have the computer tuned. I'd like to have something adjustable since I'm not gonna be spraying the car all the time and I don't like the idea of losing a bunch of power from a nitrous tune 100% of the time. Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, with this or any other similar products?

Thanks
Old 06-30-2008, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

What you can do is get the tune to be tuned for nitrous timing then add the timing back in with the timing tuner. That way if it fails you fail in a safe way.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Timing tuners have been used on these motors forever. I'm not familiar with that exact tuner, but they all function about the same way. You seem like a good candidate for the HSW Interface.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:18 AM

^That was probably the one that was recommended now that I think about it since HSW is who I bought my kit from.

jerrad, that's some great advice! I'm not sure why I didn't think of it, but no matter, that's what I'll be doing.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-01-2008, 07:37 AM
10 Second Club

I'm not quite sure how you would wire that up. Aren't these things armed when you arm the activation switch to the spray? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Screamin, what size of shot are you going to run? If around 100-125, throw some TR6's in with some good gas and have fun. Unless your local shop put your tune on the ragged edge with timing you should be fine.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:10 AM

I was planning one running a 75 shot until I make sure everything is running well. The shop said I'd be fine with that or a 100 shot. I'm just assuming that the power is gonna be addictive (or I'll lose a close race, lol) and I'll be jetting it for a 150 shot before I know it. I definitely want to upgrade my fuel system before installing the kit. Maybe I'll call and ask the manufacturer if there's a way to make it work the other way around. If not then I'll probably just go with the tuner anyway. I haven't liked alot of the "advice" that this shop has given me (things like Dart heads make 0 hp, and stay away from heads because, in general, they aren't worth the money, and don't go with nitrous because you have to check spark plugs...and they know I'm a mechanic).
Old 07-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Anyone really know how much timing you can add with these timing tuners? I think you can keep cranking it up but you don't see any gain after like 7 degrees of Total WOT timing? Going by the laptop timing advance and watching the wideband anyway.

Is there something better out there, as I am running a mail order tune and would like to add more timing when I am on bottle.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:35 AM
10 Second Club

I hope you mean pull timing when you're on the bottle.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have used the timming tunner on many installs as well as sold tons of them. The timming tuner and the MSD timming twister are the only reliable electronic devices on the market that I would suggest using for timming controll. By using these devices you can run max NA timming and remove the timming when the nitrous is engauged.

Dave
Old 07-01-2008, 04:01 PM

^Do you recommend one over the other? How do you go about making the actual adjustments with each? Also, is the timing tuner you're referring to the Full Throttle one, or a different brand?

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jmill96Z
I hope you mean pull timing when you're on the bottle.
Why would I want to pull timing I run fat as a sow on my tune as it is.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:08 PM
10 Second Club

Hope you have fun with that.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jerrad
What you can do is get the tune to be tuned for nitrous timing then add the timing back in with the timing tuner. That way if it fails you fail in a safe way.
As anyone ever set it up this way, sounds interesting.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:51 PM

+1...
Old 07-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

Originally Posted by ctsfiveseven
Why would I want to pull timing I run fat as a sow on my tune as it is.

Copy and pasted from another board.....

"By adding nitrous oxide to an engine, the total amount of oxygen is increased and other gasses that do not support combustion (mostly nitrogen) are decreased. This speeds the burn rate and requires less timing advance for peak output. It is hard for many people to grasp gaining power with less timing, but it’s a fact. Peak cylinder pressure must occur approximately 20 degrees ATDC to make peak power. If you speed the burn rate, peak cylinder pressure will occur to soon. It is easy to run too much ignition advance with nitrous, but too much will not only hurt power, it can quickly bring a nitrous engine into detonation and destroy it."

Hope this helps.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a Timing Tuner and you can set it up to pull or add timing for both N/A and nitrous. Two different settings. If I remember correctly, you can pull up to 8 degrees of timing with it. I'm switching to the HSW Interface, though.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ray@Nitrous Outlet
Copy and pasted from another board.....

"By adding nitrous oxide to an engine, the total amount of oxygen is increased and other gasses that do not support combustion (mostly nitrogen) are decreased. This speeds the burn rate and requires less timing advance for peak output. It is hard for many people to grasp gaining power with less timing, but it’s a fact. Peak cylinder pressure must occur approximately 20 degrees ATDC to make peak power. If you speed the burn rate, peak cylinder pressure will occur to soon. It is easy to run too much ignition advance with nitrous, but too much will not only hurt power, it can quickly bring a nitrous engine into detonation and destroy it."

Hope this helps.
Sorry to add this to the thread, so what is the best thing to do Jet the fuel side down? So I am running the fuel side at 38 on a 150 shot running 11.0 AF what jets should I look at 35ish?