Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The effect of Nitrous on engine internals?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Village Idiot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The effect of Nitrous on engine internals?

I am new to the LSx motors somewhat... I got an LS2 on the way and want to implement my 100-150 dry shot but am concerned what continuous use will do to the motor itself... I am aware you got a little piston slap in these motors, and are not blue printed at factory..So a little play is always evident which concerns me...

Currently I have a Lexus SC400 1uz-fe motor that has a 150,000 miles on it, it's a quad over head cam V8 4.0 aluminum block motor and I have been running a 150 nitro shot on it regularly for the last six years. It is my daily driver... An Ls2 is going to be swapped in shortly...This 1uz-fe is one of those motors that can really handle nitrous oxide and not be destroyed by it over time... After 6 years of continued use the motor still idles perfect, uses one quart of oil between changes, and no problems to report what so ever... Everything else on the car has taken a beating, drivetrain, spindles, joints, axles, etc.

The Question - Wondering how the LS2 will handle the same 150 nitrous output over time... I race every weekend, what can I expect?

This is what my current SC400 engine and dry shot nitrous system.. I want to keep the dryshot intact in the car combined with the LS2 motor.. Any thoughts on this idea?
Attached Thumbnails The effect of Nitrous on engine internals?-picture-20105.jpg   The effect of Nitrous on engine internals?-hpim0128a.jpg   The effect of Nitrous on engine internals?-hpim0407b.jpg   The effect of Nitrous on engine internals?-hpim0796.jpg   The effect of Nitrous on engine internals?-picture-20122.jpg  

Last edited by JIBBBY; 09-10-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:23 PM
10 Second Club

How are you adding fuel post maf on your setup?
Old 09-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Village Idiot

The stock Lexus ECU compensates the fuel output as the motor spins, no need for sensor reads on the 1uzfe lexus V8 motor post MAF...The stock injectors are just about pegged out when running the 150 nitro shot...It's a safe system on this motor and electronics... Apparently it's going to be a bit different with the LS2 and it's electronics... I did need to replace the stock electric fuel pump with a Walbro electric fuel pump to keep up with nitro and engine spin....... That's about it, dry NOS system screws right in to the throttle body itself... However, I did need to hookup an Apexi piggy back ECU tuner to create a richer then stock fuel mix to avoid engine damage....

That's my current setup in a nut shell...

Myfast70 - You have an 87 Buick GN, NICE!!! I just actually raced a built up one a week ago and got used...They can be made to go sooo fast!!! The engine whinning noise I guess from the supercharger in the one I raced was sweet sounding..

Last edited by JIBBBY; 09-11-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JIBBBY
The stock Lexus ECU compensates the fuel output as needed and the stock injectors are just about pretty much pegged out when running the 150 nitro shot... I did need to replace the stock electric fuel pump with a Walbro electric fuel pump to keep up..... That's about it, dry NOS system screws right in to the throttle body itself... However, I did need to hookup an Apexi piggy back ECU tuner to create a richer then stock fuel mix to avoid engine damage....

That's my current setup in a nut shell...

Myfast70 - You have an 87 Buick GN, NICE!!! I just actually raced a built up one a week ago and got used...They can be made to go sooo fast!!! The engine whinning noise I guess from the supercharger in the one I raced was sweet sounding..

There are many many safer ways than that to add nitrous to an LS engine. They will take the abuse. Robert56 made well over 200 track passes on his LS6 with a 200-235 shot before it went. And it went on a dyno pull.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GN= turbo charged...

theres a local GTO that runs a 5.7 ls1 and i think has done close to 300 rwhp on 2 stages
Old 09-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Village Idiot

Originally Posted by FMX05
There are many many safer ways than that to add nitrous to an LS engine. They will take the abuse. Robert56 made well over 200 track passes on his LS6 with a 200-235 shot before it went. And it went on a dyno pull.

Yeah, the dry nitrous systems are not as safe as the wet nitrous systems when going with bigger shots.. As the wet systems are implemented directly into the actual fuel line and not just the air intake..

That's good news as I plan to run just a 100 shot for starters on the LS2...

When I do drop in this LS2 I just want to hook up my dry nitrous system directly into the throttle body just like I have done to my 1uz-fe motor.. It's such a simple transittion and won't cost me a penny..

Curious, are the LS2 ECU's capable of excepting the Nitrous load? I know the Lexus ECU's have no trouble what so ever adjusting... Just needed to enrichen the fuel mix courtesy of a piggy back ECU that's it.. A few adjustments on the laptop computer and I was good for six years.. Hoping the LS2 will be simular.. If not I will wire up an independant stand alone ECU if necessary..

I'm still learning about the LS2's as the one I getting is coming out of newer Trailblazer..
Old 09-11-2008, 01:35 PM
12 Second Club

Curious, are the LS2 ECU's capable of excepting the Nitrous load? I know the Lexus ECU's have no trouble what so ever adjusting... Just needed to enrichen the fuel mix courtesy of a piggy back ECU that's it.. A few adjustments on the laptop computer and I was good for six years.. Hoping the LS2 will be simular.. If not I will wire up an independant stand alone ECU if necessary..

I'm still learning about the LS2's as the one I getting is coming out of newer Trailblazer..
to the best of my knowledge, you will have to spray the shot before the MAF in the intake tract, and the MAF should compensate and richen up the mixture for the shot, and you will still have the same driveability off the gas as well, instead of running pig rich all the time
Old 09-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Village Idiot

Before the MAF makes perfect sense to me as you a probably right, thanks 78novacaine...

That is exactly what I was hoping for, either that or a direct feed into the throttle body itself like I have now on my Lexus V8 motor.... Before the MAF would make sense for sensor reads, but being feed nitrous far away from the throttle body itself makes me wonder if the NO can get diluted just a bit or something... If that doesn't work I could always easily make my system a wet system and feed the nitrous directly into the fuel line which I should probably do anyway.. That way each injector always gets an even NO mix.. I am still trying to learn all about how the electronics work on these newer LS2 motors and the computer that runs them... Thank god for forums like this...I tell you it's alot different from the 1uz-fe import V8 that I am use too toying with during the last 10 years......

Thanks for the replies fellas..
Old 09-11-2008, 08:33 PM
12 Second Club

I think you should use a plate kit = safest IMO. Plate conversion kit. Here is the Link to a video of how the wet plate kit works. It mounts between the TB and the intake...looks like the best way to use nitrous IMO. I am buying the "Sudden Impact" kit for my 408. Gonna spray a little shot on it.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jibby, if you want to keep spraying a dry shot...check out the Harris Speed Works Interface.... I use it on my dry kit spraying behind the MAF.. it adds the perfect amount of fuel and you don't have to worry about bad nozzle placement before the MAF that could cause your car to run lean.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Village Idiot

ExceSSive - the plate kit looks interesting..Thanks for the info. and link... I may end up using that Plate kit..

Jetlag - Are you spraying the dry shot into an LT1 or LSx motor? Your only running a 65 shot and that's very small?...That's very minimal and safe and you are probably very smart using the dry system from what I have been reading....Even if you run a little lean with a 65 shot you probably won't do any damage.. I personally gotta have the 100-150 shot or it's not worth my time and that is a bit of concern with the dry system.. With the 100 shot or more you really feel the NO kick in and light up those rears also.... Progressive output is usually needed if you spin out of control in the early gears which can usually be the case with the bigger V8 motors that already support good N/A power....

Last edited by JIBBBY; 09-11-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jetlag - Are you spraying the dry shot into an LT1 or LSx motor? Your only running a 65 shot and that's very small?...That's very minimal and safe and you are probably very smart using the dry system from what I have been reading....Even if you run a little lean with a 65 shot you probably won't do any damage.. I personally gotta have the 100-150 shot or it's not worth my time and that is a bit of concern with the dry system.. With the 100 shot or more you really feel the NO kick in and light up those rears also.... Progressive output is usually needed if you spin out of control in the early gears which can usually be the case with the bigger V8 motors that already support good N/A power....
I am spraying on an LS1...and only have times from a tiny shot because it started raining when I swapped to a larger jet..hah

Also, the LS2 has bigger injectors than an LS1..so it could easily handle a 125-150 shot.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:58 AM
FormerVendor

Jibby,

Let me know if you have any questions about the interface. I can shoot you over an install manual to read through if you'd like a better understanding of its functions. Thanks.

Nick
Old 09-12-2008, 01:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jibby,
You may wait until you get the transplant in and do some measuring to make sure you have enough room to move the throttle body forward before purchasing a plate. Unless you know someone that has already done it and you can varify room. I have a few customers that have done some conversions that were very space limitied. Mostly the RX7. We have a local guy that just put oone in the same car as you. I can find some pics for you if you need them.

NOS Plate = 1/2 thick
Nitrous Outlet plate =5/8 (little under 3/4)
HSW Plate = 1 inch

You may end up being better keeping the nozzles.

Just my two cents.
Dave
Old 09-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Village Idiot

Yeah, space is very tight in the SC400 Lexus when it comes to swapping in the LS2.. It's not the height of the motor that is the problem but the width of the LS2 when comparing it to my Lexus 1uzfe V8 motor.. Basically the same dimensions just the LS2 is a bit wider... Infact after measuring I will need to have semi flattened custom headers made to accomidate the LS2 swap into the Lexus engine compartment...

If the NOS Plate is bulky I probably will pass on it.... Like I said I was hoping to simply implement my current nitro dry system to the LS2 motor via the direct throttle body tap and screw mount like I have now... With it having to be installed pre MAF on the LS2's I will weigh in all my possible options and go from there when the swap is in it's finishing stages... I haven't got that far ahead in this swap yet and I will deal with it when the time comes... Thanks for all the suggestions fellas as they are all noted and well recieved...

My main issue now is the transmission transplant, as in which one to go with.. The lexus will not accomidate a transaxle swap which I wanted to originally try with the LS2 and tranny straight out of newer Vette... I am now measuring and trying to fit TH400 and others... I need a mid tranny mount for sure... Some welding and fab work will be needed but is very doable... My lexus rearend (independant axles and torque sensing LSD will stay intact.. Basically I will be shortening, balancing and welding a GM end housing on one side of the driveshaft and the Toyota/Lexus on the other and that will get the ball rolling for the tranny swap... The differential gearing ratios should work out just fine....

Just sharing my deal with you guys if anyone is interested... Swaps are challenging to say the least but can be very rewarding and rare when the finished product is what you expected... I am expecting 400whp out of the LS2 (N/A power) after mods, combined with a strong performance automatic transmission, then to finally implement the Nitrous dry or wet system to add another 100whp to the package....That is what I am shooting for in the end...

Thanks again..
Attached Thumbnails The effect of Nitrous on engine internals?-ls2d.jpg  

Last edited by JIBBBY; 09-12-2008 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:19 PM
12 Second Club

Blow it up
Old 09-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Village Idiot

Agressive behavior InEEdSPEED... If I blew it up I wouldn't have a project to waste my time on... Now that wouldn't make sense now would it?...

We got a Lexus hater.. I knew it was coming sooner or later.. It's all good though.. Race you for pinks? Then you can blow it up yourself if you win...
Old 09-12-2008, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

I could be wrong but that could be slang http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=blow+it+up
Old 09-13-2008, 10:28 AM
Village Idiot

If that is slang then I appologise.. I need to definetely brush up on my auto slang terminology... I've heard terms like boost it up, tune it up, crank it up, fire it up, lite it up, etc., but never blow it up...

Quick Reply: The effect of Nitrous on engine internals?