Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

extreme bottle pressure!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JIBBBY
I love spraying with big pressure, best runs are under big pressure.... 1200psi is just about fine for me.... Hard to get the 15 pounders up to 1200psi....1000 is a challenge even with my heater core and on a hot day...

10 pounders easy...
That's my one concern... I want to switch over to all 15 lb bottles, but I am afraid they'll take too damn long to get up to temp.

Ya almost have to have a hot box to get them up to temp, once they're up I think the electric heater will hold one up no problem... but it's getting it up there that's the issue.

I'm gonna actually sell my 10 lb bottles probably over the winter, and pick up 6 or 8 15 lb'ers, so I have enough nitrous for a couple track trips without the refilling headache. I'll make sure all the bottles are the same and have guages on them, and I'm gonna look into building a hot water bath once I have the enclosed trailer so I can easily just stick them in some nice hot water for a few min and get them hot quick.

It should work... At least I hope LOL.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chhh Chhh
prbly a bad fill happens to me all the time.

all the disks are differnet.

get a fill wit no sulfer. lol if u can find a shop that has it
Old 09-15-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine tagged out at 1500 a couple of days ago and it is now out of the car.

now that I have my truck up and running it will be going back in and staying in.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
you live in alaska. he lives in south florida.... it never cools down here! lol

LOL I've only lived up here a couple years. I'm from West Texas, so you're not telling me anything about heat
Old 09-15-2008, 08:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
That's my one concern... I want to switch over to all 15 lb bottles, but I am afraid they'll take too damn long to get up to temp.

Ya almost have to have a hot box to get them up to temp, once they're up I think the electric heater will hold one up no problem... but it's getting it up there that's the issue.

I'm gonna actually sell my 10 lb bottles probably over the winter, and pick up 6 or 8 15 lb'ers, so I have enough nitrous for a couple track trips without the refilling headache. I'll make sure all the bottles are the same and have guages on them, and I'm gonna look into building a hot water bath once I have the enclosed trailer so I can easily just stick them in some nice hot water for a few min and get them hot quick.

This is what you need.
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...roduct_id=2695

We use this on our test bench. Works awesome..
Dave
Old 09-15-2008, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

8 15lb bottles? at $4 a lb thats $480, wow how long does that last
Old 09-16-2008, 04:58 AM
Race your car!

I get 2 runs out of a 10 lb'er, I should be able to get 3 runs out of a 15 lb'er. If I get 8 bottles, fill all of them that's enough for 24 runs. I average about 3 to 6 runs on a tripo and go about 10 times a year, usually because I don't have the car together until may, but if I leave the car together I'll probably make 12 to 15 trips to the track. Figure if I go 15 times, that't probably 60 runs, so that's enough nitrous for about 1/3 of the season.

And yes, I'm gonna look into my own refill station, 'm gonna weigh the + and the - of it, maybe get 3 or 4 15 lb'ers, and put the $ towards a refill station rather then more bottles... I just have to look into the gas company and see what I can get it for. The biggest concern at this point, is getting mother bottles that aren't all the way full, you pay for 56 lbs of nitrous and if the mother bottle only comes with 40 or 45 lbs in it, that's a problem.... so I have to look into it with the gas company, see what kind of an account I can get set up, see if there's a way to get the botles delivered, and if they will allow weight verification @ delivery of them to make sure they're full, that type of thing.

Have to see.

Dave, that's a very nice piece, I have seen the air powered hot box, that setup you have thre is what I was thinking about trying to build, but for the $ I'll just buy once once I have the enclosed trailer, by far easier then building one.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JL ws-6

Wh yare you guys having so much trouble getting bottles to temp. its like 85 here every damn race day. just sit it in the sun for 10 min and it will be 1100 NP. on colder days theres easy ways to heat them . my prefered is to run the heater in the tow rig. heats them pretty fast. or put them near the exhaust on the generator. or in a pinch the old yellow torch!v LOL
Old 09-16-2008, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bad6as
8 15lb bottles? at $4 a lb thats $480, wow how long does that last
On a good day we take 5 15's and 3 10's for 1 car. we can make 2 passes on the 15 on the 350 hit but the 3rd will not be as good. If its a money race we will only make 1 pass on each bottle. We also blow our bottles down every other fill or so to make sure were not getting air trapped or the nitrous degrading. but we fill our own bottles so were getting nitrous at 2.75/ usable lb .we don't like to use the last 15 lbs out of the mother bottle it can sometimes be the weak sauce.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:13 AM
Race your car!

Thanks for explaining it Steve.

I can get 2 runs with the 150 shot off a 10 lb'er and they're both good, the 3rd I haven't tried, but I suspect it will be weak.

15 lb'ers, I think at a 200 hit I should be able to get 3 runs, the 10 lb'er's I bet the 2nd run gets weak.

I don't have a problem heating them now, as you said in the summer it's fine, but a night race (like pinks was) and in the fall it can be a problem. This Friday I have a rental day I'm going to, it's supposed to be a high of 63. That means it's gonna be about 40 when I get there, so it's a little more of a PITA. All the bottles will be in the truck for the ride up, one on the floor with the heater blowing on it on the ride there (takes about an hour and 45 min), at least one will be warm when we get there.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah on cold night our issue is keeping them warm when guys are oiling the track while we wait in the staging lanes LOL. but the yellow torch keeps it good.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:41 AM
Race your car!

I hear ya... I really dont' like the whole torch thing personally.

I'm gonna rig up a mount in place of the passenger's seat to put 2 bottles in the car probably while I'm on my break next year, and I'm gonna get the 2 strongest electric heaters I can, put them on, and I'll run a good high current connector on them, and on the pit veichle I'll put a big *** deep cycle battery I can hook them to to keep it hot. Should work, and not kill the battery in the car, as long as they go in hot (which that water bath thing that Dave has should work no problem I'd think)

Maybe a 16 volt battery, the added voltage would help, maybe 2 of them. I dunno yet, have to see how a single big 12 volt works first I think.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Village Idiot

15lbs bottles to me seem to last twice as long as the 10lbs bottles atleat..... That is the reason I went with the 15lbs...Less fills, more Nitrous, less times removing and installing the bottle...

The draw back is they are never as charged and heated like the 10lb bottle... You get such a better pop out of the 10lbs... I regret selling my 2 10 bottles on Ebay.... Now, I only got a 15 pounder and it's getting old fast....

Nitro Dave - You guys have all the nitro goodies...That heater box looks interesting and it's too bad it costs $615 and more then my intire Nitrous system all together... I can't invision how that heater box works? It looks like you actual shoot the nitrios thru the box or something, or does it heat the bottle up?..Just not sure?
Old 09-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Race your car!

That is meant for a trailer, it plugs into an a/c outlet and heats up a water bath, and you put the entire bottle in the bath to heat it up, then when you're ready to run ya take it out of the bath and stick it in the car.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:37 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

15lbs bottles to me seem to last twice as long as the 10lbs bottles atleat..... That is the reason I went with the 15lbs...Less fills, more Nitrous, less times removing and installing the bottle...

The draw back is they are never as charged and heated like the 10lb bottle... You get such a better pop out of the 10lbs... I regret selling my 2 10 bottles on Ebay.... Now, I only got a 15 pounder and it's getting old fast....

Nitro Dave - You guys have all the nitro goodies...That heater box looks interesting and it's too bad it costs $615 and more then my intire Nitrous system all together... I can't invision how that heater box works? It looks like you actual shoot the nitrios thru the box or something, or does it heat the bottle up?..Just not sure?

The hot box works just like a HOT TUB.
Fill the box with water and set the controller to what temperature you want it. It will bring the bottle pressure to the set point in a matter of a few minutes..

If there is a big enough interest in these from the racers I will put together a group purchase... Get me some feed back and lets see if we can make it worth each others time and expense.
Dave
Old 09-16-2008, 10:49 AM
Race your car!

I'm not really ready right now, but if a GP gets going I'd be in. Being able to heat a bottle up in 5 to 10 min without a torch would be nice, and the track officials would greatly appreciate it.

(torching a bottle up, is a big no no at every track I know of)
Old 09-16-2008, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

The draw back is they are never as charged and heated like the 10lb bottle... You get such a better pop out of the 10lbs...
Thats definatly wrong. the size of the bottle will not determine this "pop" LOL the pressure and available luquid nitrous would. if it takes longer to warm a 15 it will stay warmer longer for the same reason. If you just run some hot water over them before leaving they tend to stay warm for a while also....
Old 09-16-2008, 03:22 PM
11 Second Club

dam only 2 runs off a 150 hit? im in trouble lol
Old 09-16-2008, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

No 2 runs on a 15 with a 350 hit.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:33 PM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by bad6as
dam only 2 runs off a 150 hit? im in trouble lol
I get 2 good runs off a 10 lb bottle with a 150 hit. I haven't tried a 3rd, but after weighing bottles all season, I don't think that it would run all too great.

Quick Reply: extreme bottle pressure!