Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

cooling issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 02:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling issues

so i have a 98 m6 camaro with 120k on the clock and as of late i have had a strange issue.the past couple days while its been 85 degress with my a/c on driving around my temps have gone up to 240 ish,coolant is full and fresh no leaks and coolant is circulating.so far i have pulled the rad and cleaned out the fins on the out side and flushed the cooling system again.and there is no air in the system.one thing i did find out my car does have an ls2 water pump
on it.normally the car runs around 185.210 does not bother me but 240ish kind of scares me.do ls2 water pumps flow more coolant?im wondering if it flows too much for a stock ls1 on hot days.any suggestions would be great,
thanks joe
Old 06-05-2009, 08:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A 98' with 120k on the clock, the first thing that comes to mind is to check the electric fans. Make sure they are both working full force. If not, Autozone has replacement motors for around 40.00/bux.

Good luck.

Mike
Old 06-06-2009, 02:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

This might sound dumb but make sure you have enough oil. The only other thing I could think of is make sure you're fans are working and you have a fan shroud.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:46 AM
FormerVendor

When you say driving around are you in stop and go traffic when this happens? If so Mike is very right in advising you to check the fans, if its cool on the highway at speed, I would also suspect that the fans are not coming on.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:41 AM
12 Second Club

the problem happins in stop and go and at freeway speeds i know high and low on my slp switch works and pretty sure they are kicking on and off between high and low.oil is fresh and full and fans are working fine.if i turn a/c off it drops down to 185-195 ish a stays there.i am wondering if maybe a
fresh a/c charge may help a/c is not as cold as it should be.another issue that came to light tonight under high rpm decel getting off the free way a cloud of smoke litteraly came out my tail pipes when i got to the stop sign.i know ls1 use oil and some times pulling up to stop lights i smell burning oil slightly but this was real bad.like i was doing a small stand still burn out.any ideas? i put a new pcv in using valvoline 10w30 synthetic.hoping i dont need
a rebuild.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:06 PM
11 Second Club

Kinda sounds like you have multiple issues going on here.

For the water temp, are you positive the fans are pulling a good amount of air? It almost sounds like the high speed fans are not working. When you engage the A/C, I believe the fans should automatically kick on to a higher speed. Could be an electrical, switch or relay issue there?

For the smoke, was it coming out of the tailpipe, or was it coming out from under the car? Could be an oil leak dripping onto a header/exhaust component. Or it could be valve seals going bad. Most LS1's in 4th gens have had ported heads (w/ new seals) installed before they reach 120k miles LOL.... I'd do a compression check just to be sure it's not a ring problem though.

Mike
Old 06-14-2009, 12:33 AM
12 Second Club

probly gonna do a comp check this week i know its not from an oil leak,does not smoke on start up but may do a rebuild this winter with a set of ported head,the smoke was out the tail pipe.and as for the cooling issues i can turn the fans on high with the slp switch and it makes no differance and i know there on high when i use the switch and there is alot of flow.temps were fine today but i was not using max ac.there may have been a air bubble in the cooling system but will see in the next few days.thanks for everyones imput
Old 06-15-2009, 12:45 PM
11 Second Club

Alright man, good luck. Let us know what you find out.

Mike
Old 06-16-2009, 01:37 AM
12 Second Club

did a comp test and all cyl average is about 175lbs cold all cyls were within 5percent,would do a leak down test but dont own the stuff to do it so
i have a feeling its the valve seals so now its time to save for the 5.3l
head package from patriot i want
Old 06-16-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your radiator is probably partially plugged internally. To see if it's plugged just get it warmed up and drop the cooling fans so you can access the radiator. Run your hand over the radiator on see if the whole thing is hot, when mine plugged about half of the radiator surface was cold and the rest was hot.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

looks like the cooling issues are fixed i went and beat the snot out of the camaro for a good hour or 2 and it never went above 200degress.even after 20 1-3 upshifts at wot in a row.found out how easy it is to do a 2 gear burn out from 5 mph.i dont know why my ex camaro owning freind said camaros are twitchy i have had no control issues with the car yet, even while side ways at about 30 mph