Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Need new tires for DD WS6

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need new tires for DD WS6

So I need some new tires for the TA, but wanted to get some recommendations from those that have to deal with wet roads her in the NW all the time.

Car is basically stock (for now) and I'll need 4 275/40/17s. No track time, mixed highway city driving with some "spirited" driving.

I've done fine in Falken ZIEX ZE-502s that are on there currently, so I don't think I can justify getting GS-D3s because I know how to drive safe in the rain.

I'm not trying to spend more than $175/tires.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:26 AM
Teching In

I have a set of the Kumho Ecsta on my WS6 and I've had absolutely no problems with them. Picked them up for $120/tire. Hope this helps.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:59 AM
12 Second Club

I went from the Ziex to Toyo Proxes-4's and it was night and day. Even cut a 1.9 60' with em which I thought was pretty good for all seasons. I've been looking at the sumitomo's or the nitto 555's though as they fit my budget more right now than the $270ish ea for the toyo's. one thing to consider with the GS-D3's is they're considered summer tires not all seasons if it's a daily. And if it is a daily and you don't see track time I recommend the siping. Had the Proxes 4's siped on my 99 ta before I got the WS6 and got around better in the snow than quite a few other people in the area and I had to drive in it to get to work as they wouldn't take snow as an excuse.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pm sent
Old 06-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TONY206
so I don't think I can justify getting GS-D3s because I know how to drive safe in the rain.

I'm not trying to spend more than $175/tires.
Rain in the PACNW is a little different. The roads get real slick here when it first starts to rain. You might not need worry about your own abilities, but you should worry about some of the drivers you see around you when it rains out here

You will face rain for a decent amount of time in the winter so maybe you might want to re-think it a little. $234 isn that much more than $175. How much is your deductable?

Its a very good tire for most of the NW. Get into the foothills and mountains and you get snow in the winter though.

The Eagle F1 GS-D3 is Goodyear's Max Performance Summer radial developed for driving enthusiasts who want more performance from their factory stock or aftermarket-tuned sports cars, sporty coupes and performance sedans. The Eagle F1 GS-D3 excels in wet conditions by delivering class-leading hydroplaning resistance and traction, as well as offers competitive dry performance. Like all summer tires, it is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 06-30-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had very good luck with the Nitto NT555. They wear real well and road noise is minimal. Overall I think they are a great DD tire for an Fbody. Plus I like the stiff blocky sidewall.

As for daily driving in the rain, I commuted everyday from Kelso to Vancouver one winter with half worn 315/35/17 Nitto drag radials in the back so anything is possilbe.

Mike
Old 06-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
I've had very good luck with the Nitto NT555. They wear real well and road noise is minimal. Overall I think they are a great DD tire for an Fbody. Plus I like the stiff blocky sidewall.

As for daily driving in the rain, I commuted everyday from Kelso to Vancouver one winter with half worn 315/35/17 Nitto drag radials in the back so anything is possilbe.

Mike
Not sure if I ever told the story of me caught in the rain with the Nitto NT-01 on... scary as can be ... but I did run the 555rII for a bit and it wasnt that bad. But given the choice I'd rather a different rain tire, I drive to fast anyway and need all the help I can get
Old 06-30-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by HitmanLSX
I went from the Ziex to Toyo Proxes-4's and it was night and day.
I run Toyo Proxes-4. They grip great. I live near Astoria, 60 to 80 inches of rain a year. The nice thing is that when it's dry they grip and go like hell, not much spin. Best all weather performance that I have used.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ghardester
I run Toyo Proxes-4. They grip great. I live near Astoria, 60 to 80 inches of rain a year. The nice thing is that when it's dry they grip and go like hell, not much spin. Best all weather performance that I have used.
I run the Toyo T1R on the GTI and they work well in the rain. Not so great for overall wear but damn good grip.

Mike
Old 06-30-2009, 11:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Not sure if I ever told the story of me caught in the rain with the Nitto NT-01 on... scary as can be ... but I did run the 555rII for a bit and it wasnt that bad. But given the choice I'd rather a different rain tire, I drive to fast anyway and need all the help I can get
I had a few close calls driving in the rain with those worn drag radials. I don't know if you've ever driven from Kelso to Vancouver during the winter months, but it's quite a "rain belt" through there.

Mike
Old 07-01-2009, 12:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

I use the Riken Raptors, I have had some people say they hate them but for the price I think they hooked better than my kuhmo ecsta asx's and a tiny bit cheaper. but Elliot says he hated his, I was told mine was the new tread design.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
I had a few close calls driving in the rain with those worn drag radials. I don't know if you've ever driven from Kelso to Vancouver during the winter months, but it's quite a "rain belt" through there.

Mike
Oh ya!! I'm about 1/2 mile from the river. Driving up route 30 is similar.. its where I had my incident but kept it on the road thx to the GSd3's in front. Was only doing 55 as well but the rear came right out beside me.. 5 or 6 over steers later I was still on the road and on the right side of it too
after I regained my composure I drove home at 45..LOL Bought a car to drive in the rain
Old 07-02-2009, 02:07 PM
12 Second Club

i use the cheep ones, have run sumitomo's and nexen. I used to live in WV, so winters saw plenty of snow. Honestly when the roads get that slick any 275/40/17 is not gonna go real well, but the cheep one's I've had do great in the rain. I've since grown wiser and now don't daily drive camaro's or firebird's anymore. I usually don't spend the big bucks on tires unless they serve the purpose on hooking on a track. I have goodyears on the stock rims from the '01 and I can tell a difference between them and the nexen's in the rain, but nothing hooks in the rain for me.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Rain in the PACNW is a little different. The roads get real slick here when it first starts to rain. You might not need worry about your own abilities, but you should worry about some of the drivers you see around you when it rains out here

You will face rain for a decent amount of time in the winter so maybe you might want to re-think it a little. $234 isn that much more than $175. How much is your deductable?

Its a very good tire for most of the NW. Get into the foothills and mountains and you get snow in the winter though.

The Eagle F1 GS-D3 is Goodyear's Max Performance Summer radial developed for driving enthusiasts who want more performance from their factory stock or aftermarket-tuned sports cars, sporty coupes and performance sedans. The Eagle F1 GS-D3 excels in wet conditions by delivering class-leading hydroplaning resistance and traction, as well as offers competitive dry performance. Like all summer tires, it is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.
Well, I bit the bullet and got the GS-D3s from Discount Tire. Out the door $1,235 with tax and the replacement warranty too. I'll get 'em on in about 2-3 weeks after some fun with the current tires.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

We need lots of videos

Quick Reply: Need new tires for DD WS6