Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Thinking About Moving To Tacoma Or Portland???

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking About Moving To Tacoma Or Portland???

So my wife is in the insurance business and hates her job, she found some jobs available in Tacoma and Portland, and i want to get away from my in-laws pretty badly so i am considering moving, so my question is to the people from these 2 towns, how is the crime and how is the weather and cost of living and all that other good stuff? Has anybody been to both places or lived in both places, how do they compare to each other? Ive flown into seattle and portland both this year and from what i could see they both seem like beautiful places to live. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Also ive been told all it does is rain 24/7 in both places and i hate the rain so is this true?
Old 12-20-2010, 10:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Portland hands down. The traffic out towards Seattle / Tacoma is god awful. There is so much more to do out towards Portland as well.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by *02WS6TURK*
Portland hands down. The traffic out towards Seattle / Tacoma is god awful. There is so much more to do out towards Portland as well.
I hate to hear this because it looks like my wife may be getting the Tacoma job.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:25 AM
12 Second Club

Typically the weather is worse that way as well. You couldn't pay me to live out that way. On a plus side there are a lot of fbody owners out that way....along with the many Tokyo drift crew lol.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Launching!

Typically the weather is worse that way as well. You couldn't pay me to live out that way. On a plus side there are a lot of fbody owners out that way....along with the many Tokyo drift crew lol.

Yeah the more i look the worse my opinion keeps getting about the Tacoma area, ive been reading that it is a run-down crime infested shithole, ive got a couple leads on jobs in the Vancouver area so hopefully my wife will persue her Portland job and try and get it. That Crater Lake cruise looks kind of fun id like to get in on things like that if i move down that way.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just replied to your pm.

Also, anything is gonna be better than Twin Falls Idaho (if that's where you're at now). I lived in Twin Falls for 3 months back in 2002 doing some contract engineering and you couldn't pay me enough to go back there! Nice place to pass through, but living there SUCKED!!

Mike
Old 12-20-2010, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

The good thing about Tacoma or Portland is YOU DONT HAVE to live there lol.
you can live in out lying areas. My husband works at McChord & we live in yelm which is about 45mins away, (about an hour drive).

Both Portland area & the Greater Pierce Counties have emission testing, but in areas Like Thurston county you dont.

is she looking at Statefarm what company?
Old 12-20-2010, 01:30 PM
TECH Regular

Portland is better than Tacoma IMO. You can deal with the rain a whole lot better than the snow. I moved here from the Pocatello area, and will not go back after living here. Because Tacoma is farther north, they have more chance of snow and the idiots around here are worse than the idiots in Idaho on the snow.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
I just replied to your pm.

Also, anything is gonna be better than Twin Falls Idaho (if that's where you're at now). I lived in Twin Falls for 3 months back in 2002 doing some contract engineering and you couldn't pay me enough to go back there! Nice place to pass through, but living there SUCKED!!

Mike
Yeah its really not a bad place to live, there really is nothing to do though, no fast cars, people love drama, no good places to eat, jobs dont pay for ****, everywhere you go you run into people you dont wanna see, only thing i like about it here is ive got friends and family, and it is kind of nice knowing alot of people at times

Originally Posted by krazzycowgirl
The good thing about Tacoma or Portland is YOU DONT HAVE to live there lol.
you can live in out lying areas. My husband works at McChord & we live in yelm which is about 45mins away, (about an hour drive).

Both Portland area & the Greater Pierce Counties have emission testing, but in areas Like Thurston county you dont.

is she looking at Statefarm what company?
She is looking at Blue Shield, she is liscenced in Life & Health.

Originally Posted by Rockin C Racing
Portland is better than Tacoma IMO. You can deal with the rain a whole lot better than the snow. I moved here from the Pocatello area, and will not go back after living here. Because Tacoma is farther north, they have more chance of snow and the idiots around here are worse than the idiots in Idaho on the snow.
Yeah Pocatello is a complete dump, Twin Falls is 100x better and thats not saying a whole lot.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:09 PM
12 Second Club

Hey, my good friend owns his own insurance company through Farmers Insurance. He is looking for someone to hire on. It's located out in Beaverton which is a nice area. Not sure if that's something up her alley. In all honesty though, stay clear of Tacoma if possible Move out closer towards us. Our group is growing bigger by the day.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:50 PM
Launching!

Hey, my good friend owns his own insurance company through Farmers Insurance. He is looking for someone to hire on. It's located out in Beaverton which is a nice area. Not sure if that's something up her alley. In all honesty though, stay clear of Tacoma if possible Move out closer towards us. Our group is growing bigger by the day.
Hey yeah that would be great if you would like to PM me his office info ill have my wife get in touch with him, she is liscensed and has about 4 years experience and really likes the insurance business. And yeah I can't wait to get around some real FBody owners I'm sick of the wanna be's around here that throw a fart can on their V6 Camaro and can instantly smoke everything on the street.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:18 PM
12 Second Club

I have a call into him and he should be getting back to me. I want to ok giving out his info first. He's a really cool guy and anyone would be lucky to work for him.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:26 AM
12 Second Club

Another vote to stay the hell out of Tacoma. That place is ghetto as hell and I'm from California. Portland outlying areas is far better. And hey whys everyone hate seattle LOL j/k. There are a lot of morons the farther north you go

Quick Reply: Thinking About Moving To Tacoma Or Portland???