Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

bonneville salt flat racing.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bonneville salt flat racing.

so what do you guys think about makeing a road trip to speed week sometime in the future? i just read that it cost 400$ to enter. it would be fun just to go out and see what our cars can do. and it would be awesome to see all the fast *** cars that are out there..... I wanna go!!!!
Old 01-26-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

That would be a blast!
Old 01-26-2011, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

even if we didnt race, it would still be fun as hell to watch everybody else...but i would race mine to see how fast it goes. maybe put a 150 shot on and put some 2.70 gears in..lol
Old 01-26-2011, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think my car would do 180 pretty easy
Old 01-26-2011, 06:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is this?
Old 01-26-2011, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Turk don't tell me you don't know about
The salt flats?.. It's just to see how fast your car go... I just got done watching " the worlds fastest indian" what a great movie...
Old 01-26-2011, 08:02 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry I don't know what it is. So you are telling me it costs $400 to drive is a straight line and see how fast your car can go or is there more to it? Please explain in detail for morons such as myself.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02sslayer
i think my car would do 180 pretty easy
I don't know. Not sure how long the run is but patrick G had a 500horse WS6 and he did 180 I think in the texas mile.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Yeah the place is like 10-12 miles long and it's goes on for a week. All it is, is a flat salt bed. Here is a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCbVC...e_gdata_player
Old 01-26-2011, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Ok I think I'll just go and watch. They want a 4pt roll bar, fire suits, just to be in the 150mph club...
Old 01-27-2011, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

I've been to speed week several times. Few pointers for watching.

BRING A BIG CANOPY! You want something large to sit under, tarp for the floor, and some tarp for the sides. I can't stress this enough, the salt is reflective as hell and you'll get burnt to a crisp, you can be sitting in the shade, if you're on the salt you'll get burnt from underneath, lol. The tarps for the sides are so that you can move them around with the sun.

Cloths: Wear light colored long pants and long shirt, not shorts and short sleeves/tank top. Has to do with the sunburn thing, you can wear spf5000bajillion and it won't do much for ya. Also you want a hat with cloth on the back to cover your neck/ears, or a piece of fabric at least to stuff in your hat.

Things to bring: Radio, they have a radio station there to listen to info/speeds about the cars, also music. 2 big coolers, 1 w/ ice and drinks, the other with just ice. It melts fast, and ice is very expensive from the venders at the track. Bicycles/dirtbikes/etc. depending on where you watch, you could be several miles from the bathroom, I had a gas-powered scooter that was the stuff for blasting down to the blue boxes. Propane bbq, as hot as it is, burgers/hotdogs are actually nice to have. Bring lots of food for that matter, if any of you have eaten food at PIR, at about $3-$5 to the cost of your burgers and you're getting close to how expensive it is to eat there. Camera with huge memory card is a must, tons of things to take pics of. There will be a lot of rat rods there, not to mention the race cars.

Lodging: I don't recommend staying at the town close to the flats, it's crowded and noisy, we usually like to stay about an hour from the track to get out of the crowds, get a hotel with a pool too. Nothing beats swimming after a hot day at the track, and the less crowded hotel makes it that much nicer/quiet.

You guys need to go check it out before planning to run, it's more complicated than you think to run even the short track. The short track is 5 miles long, but you can't pull the whole time your first few runs, and you have mph restrictions. Not to mention the salt sticks to EVERYTHING on your car, we pressure washed the crap out of the van we took last time, and salt was still falling off from places we couldn't reach 3 months later still. Most the race cars there have crappy paint and rough bodies for this reason, the salt is major hard on cars.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:49 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by tmoney223
Yeah the place is like 10-12 miles long and it's goes on for a week. All it is, is a flat salt bed. Here is a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCbVC...e_gdata_player
This guy is going to be there..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS8Mk...eature=related
Old 01-27-2011, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

Not to mention it's expensive as hell to just race.. I read that the track is only 2.25 miles long. 2miles to run and .25 to slow down. Eathier way it still would be cool to go see.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:44 PM
12 Second Club

I looked in to doing it but kinda scares me. From what I have read the salt is a very different surface to drive on at high speed and limited traction at 150mph. But would be fun as hell to watch ill keep to the pavement
Old 02-02-2011, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrKPPdTuk8I
Old 02-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

That whole episode is really funny.

Capt. Slow wrecks the caddy trying to do a burn out...
Old 02-03-2011, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tmoney223
Not to mention it's expensive as hell to just race.. I read that the track is only 2.25 miles long. 2miles to run and .25 to slow down. Eathier way it still would be cool to go see.
Which track are you talking about? Last time I was there, they were running 3 tracks. The short one was 5 miles, the long one was 8 miles. You don't get to run the long track until you do safety passes on the short one, and even then you have to "work your way up". They don't let you just go out there and go for it.

The surface is very different, you can actually lay rubber down on launch, it'll chew your tires up quick. When you get up to speed though, it's crazy stuff, kinda like ice I guess.

Also doing 150 on the salt is a heck of a thing, not because of the cars but because of the surface/heat/elevation. A car that will do 200 on pavement won't do it on salt without changing a lot on the car (suspension, tires, gearing, etc). It's just a weird thing.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:58 AM
Staging Lane

I don't feel like having to clean my car after I was done. All that salt everywhere, forget that.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98goldz28
I don't feel like having to clean my car after I was done. All that salt everywhere, forget that.
and how! i would hate to wash all that damn salt off.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

When I was on there site that's what I saw. You're probably right about working your way up so that's probably why you start on the short track.

Originally Posted by musicman
Which track are you talking about? Last time I was there, they were running 3 tracks. The short one was 5 miles, the long one was 8 miles. You don't get to run the long track until you do safety passes on the short one, and even then you have to "work your way up". They don't let you just go out there and go for it.

The surface is very different, you can actually lay rubber down on launch, it'll chew your tires up quick. When you get up to speed though, it's crazy stuff, kinda like ice I guess.

Also doing 150 on the salt is a heck of a thing, not because of the cars but because of the surface/heat/elevation. A car that will do 200 on pavement won't do it on salt without changing a lot on the car (suspension, tires, gearing, etc). It's just a weird thing.

Quick Reply: bonneville salt flat racing.