Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

PDX area gtg

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PDX area gtg

There aren't too many regular meets in the PDX area concerning f-bodies or even American cars in general and I've been wanting something like this around here for awhile. I started hosting a get together (gtg) for the local VW crowd and it's turned out very well. It's held every Tuesday at a local Buffalo Wild Wings and we regularly get over 30 cars to show up. It's been going strong for over a year now. So I think it's about time we start something like this for ourselves.

WHO: Anybody who owns or takes interest in F-bodies, V8's, American cars, etc

WHAT: Something like this is to fill the void between big events. Something you can go to and check out everybodies car, BS, have some food and a few drinks.

WHERE: I've scouted a few locations in the PDX area that might be a suitable place. We're going to want someplace that is well lit, and has an expansive parking lot. Having a food joint nearby is a huge plus. A parking garage would be even better. It needs to be easy to find for people not firmiliar with the area. Also having nice roads and no speed bumps would be optimal. A lot of people may have low headers, true dials, lowered cars, etc.

- BRIDGEPORT VILLAGE
7405 Southwest Bridgeport Road, Portland, OR
This is an outdoor shopping mall, they have a bunch of places to eat and shop, it's right off of I-5 near the 217 interchange and they have a parking structure which would be beneficial during inclement weather.

- SONIC
7380 Northeast Butler Street, Hillsboro
A very popular drive-in fast food restaurant. It's close to highway 26 is very well lit and has a large parking lot right between sonic and Kohl's. This has been a popular meeting spot for many car clubs in the past.

- CLACKAMAS TOWN CENTER
12000 SE 82nd Avenue, Happy Valley, Oregon 97086
This is a shopping mall that has a parking structure and a couple food places on the grounds. There have been car club meets here before and I have contacted the Manager of the company that owns the place and we have permission to hold gtg's here.

- CASCADE STATION
NE Airport Way, Portland, OR (near PDX)
Lots of parking, easy to find, plenty of places to eat.

if you have any suggestions go ahead and post away

WHEN: Probably mid week (Thursday's?) seeing as many events throughout the year are held on weekends. Probably later in the evening, that way it will interfere as little as possibly with most people's work schedule. Are people interested in a weekly gtg? Every other week? Once a month?

I want to try and get something going here. I'm thinking about having the meets start in march or maybe April as the weather starts to get better. I know a lot of people that dont drive these kind of cars during mad weather or have them stored over the winter. I want to here everybody's input about something like this.

Last edited by DBL_TKE; 02-09-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Added location
Old 02-09-2012, 03:17 PM
12 Second Club

I'm game to come out to any held at the Clackamas Town Center. Another good area is the new Cascade Park center by the PDX Airport. Tons of places to eat w/ plenty of parking.

Todd
Old 02-09-2012, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol I think I need to move since I live like 50 miles from Portland.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by *02WS6TURK*
I'm game to come out to any held at the Clackamas Town Center. Another good area is the new Cascade Park center by the PDX Airport. Tons of places to eat w/ plenty of parking.

Todd

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Cascade Station. I added it to the list.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just noticing your sig. Did you do the VR swap in the 92 GTI? I used to have an 87 GTI 16V (long time ago) and currently own an 02 GTI VR6 24V as my commuter.

Mike
Old 02-15-2012, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
I was just noticing your sig. Did you do the VR swap in the 92 GTI? I used to have an 87 GTI 16V (long time ago) and currently own an 02 GTI VR6 24V as my commuter.

Mike
The car was originally a 16v but it was already swapped when I got it. I spun a rod bearing in the old engine last year at the track and I'm currently rebuilding another VR. Eventually it will be boosted too. I actually really like that car too. Which is ironic because I used to hate Volkswagens until I got this one.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:03 PM
12 Second Club

Looks exactly like my old one but it was alpine white. Euro grill, 16v, recarro seats...
Old 02-15-2012, 10:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DBL_TKE
The car was originally a 16v but it was already swapped when I got it. I spun a rod bearing in the old engine last year at the track and I'm currently rebuilding another VR. Eventually it will be boosted too. I actually really like that car too. Which is ironic because I used to hate Volkswagens until I got this one.
Nice lookin car! When I owned my 87 I wanted to do the quad headlight conversion with fat bumpers like that.

Here's my current GTI, although it has since lost the eyebrows (came with the car) and the sidemarkers have been blacked out, front plate gone etc..

Todd I never knew you had a VW. ? Pics,, or it never happened lol...

Mike
Old 02-16-2012, 08:29 AM
12 Second Club

I did Mike I did! Phil can back that up! haha Digital cameras wern't around back then so the only pictures I have are in a photo album stored somewhere.

I can't remember the year, it was either a 91-92 Alpine White 16V DOHC GLI Jetta. I put the euro grill on it, lowered it with TSW Evo's. The car was cleaner than my T/A. Bought it from the original owner out in Lake Oswego. It was a fun car. The front bumper fell off a lot though. lol I called it my "Lego" car because everything just snapped off for the most part. It looked just like this one but with different wheels and the euro grill http://bringatrailer.com/2009/12/01/...jetta-gli-16v/
Old 02-24-2012, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Back to topic...I'm game for Clackamas Towne Center. Nothing better than just having to head right down the street! LOL

We could take over the Claim Jumper parking lot
Old 02-24-2012, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

Sounds good to me! I'm down for cruising up there it's just up the road.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:44 AM
On The Tree

Just giving this a bump. It looks like there the most interest for a meet at the Clackamas Town Center on a Thursday night. I think we'll start this once there a forecast for decent (dry) weather, which will probably be real soon. I'll edit the OP with all the correct and final info when there's a date in sight.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

I may be down, I get off work next thursday morning and would need a nap. I may come up depending on time etc.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm new to the forum but this sounds like a fun idea. I'm on the west side (Tigard) and usually go to the Sherwood cruises but getting to Clackamas isn't too big of a deal.
Jessica
Old 03-02-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DBL_TKE
It looks like there the most interest for a meet at the Clackamas Town Center on a Thursday night.
Sounds good. Keep us updated. Thanks!
Old 04-05-2012, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm interested. The Sonic in Hillsboro isn't far from where I'm at, but I'm willing to travel. The front half of the week works better for me.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Im in for sure!! Yes I can vouch for Todd's Jetta lol!! That was a clean vw!
I vote for once a week because alot the wed shows in the area have been discontinued for some reason or another.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

I haven't forgotten, still waiting for a Thursday without rain in the forecast.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

Alright the forecast for next week finally had some decent weather in it. This will happen on Wednesday. My schedule at work has changed so I won't be able to host it on Thursday's. Have we all decided to do the clackamas town center for the meet? I'll also make a new post with the final details.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:21 AM
On The Tree

Giving this a bump. We're meeting at Clackamas Town Center this Wednesday in the Northeast section of the parking lot. I'll be there at 7:00pm. If there's enough interest maybe we can grab a bite to eat at one of the many places at the mall.

11900 Southeast 82nd Avenue
Portland‎ OR‎ 97086
United States

If you have any questions or get lost you can call/text: (503)467-9125.

Look for this car:

See you all there!

Quick Reply: PDX area gtg