Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

OR: Tuning shop

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just dont like the idea of some dude doing **** on the other side of the country. His tunes are nothing special. The only people that make him sound like he's the **** are people with autos. It takes no brains to bump up the line pressure. I like the idea that if you have a issue with your tune you can go back to the shop with it not email some dude and wait on what he says
Old 03-29-2012, 02:28 AM
Teching In

So what again did tom not know how to do??? Cause every person that's used tom doesnt have anything bad or negative to say. I have always herd good things about him and personally i have used his services for 3 years and never had no issues of any kind with him....
Old 03-29-2012, 02:31 AM
Teching In

And he also has more corvettes in his shop than the local dealer. If he was a shitty tunner or shitty repair shop his doors would of closed a long long time ago. In the corvette crowd if word goes around of a shitty shop no one use's that shop.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Damn man....take it easy. I refuse to start a "bash Wong's" thread. I have my reasons. I'll just leave it at that. If you're happy with them, then great...I know that a lot of folks are. But based on conversations I've had in the past with him, I decided that's not the shop for me. That's all I'm going to say about it. You're entitled to your opinions, as am I.

Last edited by salemetro; 03-29-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Teching In

I'd have to agree with salemtro. I was given some awful info from wong along with a good personal friend of mine had some tune work done to his camaro and the car ran like **** afterwards. We ended up tuning it ourselves.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jesus Freak
Dan Judy automotive has a dynojet. Wouldn't take my car there for tuning, but they're nice guys.
I'm not in a hurry for a tune, I'd like the idle bumped up soon, but I'm still breaking in the engine. So it'll be awhile, maybe I'll call wongs and schedule an appointment in a month or so.
If you plan on going to Wong (even in a month) I would definitely call him now. If you call him in a month it's probably gonna be another month or so until he can get to you.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Salemetro and GreatV8, did you actually get your cars turned at Wong's Performance Engineering? If not what are you basing your opinions on?

As for me I bought my car camed and tuned by someone else and took it to Wong's to be re-tuned as soon as he had an opening. I picked up 6 hp and could tell it was running better before I even pulled out of his parking lot. There's a really good reason for why it takes a month or more to get an appointment with him, just sayin...
Old 03-29-2012, 10:27 PM
Teching In

LOL if the car ran like **** why the hell wouldnt you take it back. Sounds to me like horse **** cause if theres ever a issue Tom would take car of it. But nice try. And greatv8 what year camaro was this that your good buddy has?
Old 03-29-2012, 10:35 PM
Launching!

Called performance racing engineering (Steve Tepper) and he gave me the number of a guy here in town that tunes. And he says he wouldn't trust anyone else, and around here, coming from Steve, that's HUGE!
Old 03-29-2012, 10:53 PM
Teching In

LIke in your town??? salem
Old 03-29-2012, 10:55 PM
Teching In

LOL i hope your not talking about PRE out of gresham cause they suck at tunning.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:59 PM
Launching!

No, it's a small shop in Salem, he doesn't do any tuning. But he's been around for 30+ years he has some CRAZY cars and knows EVERYBODY that knows anything about cars around here.... In short, I really trust the guy. Lol
Old 03-29-2012, 11:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So much negativity around here Tom is great at what he does. Are there others with his same knowledge and experience...yes. Good luck OP with your tune. Hope to meet you and cruise this summer.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jesus Freak
Called performance racing engineering (Steve Tepper) and he gave me the number of a guy here in town that tunes. And he says he wouldn't trust anyone else, and around here, coming from Steve, that's HUGE!
One thing to consider, is that Steve knows very little about LS-based cars....or much about late-model EFI for that matter. As a bit of proof, just look at the parts he keeps in stock.....nothing for late model cars. He's an old-school hot-rodder, who has some VERY valuable knowledge for the things that he works on. He has done some very impressive old-school builds, but let's just say that the newer stuff is not his forte'. I say this not to bad-mouth him, but to just state what my experience has been with him over the past 20 years. He's a good guy, but a big fish in a small pond.

There are no quality tuners here in Salem that I'm aware of....certainly none that have made much of a name for themselves. I'd suggest calling the guy...then ask him how many late-model GM vehicles he's tuned. I think that you'll probably find the number to be very few.

My suggestion, fwiw; Look somewhere else for a tuner.

Last edited by salemetro; 03-31-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:21 PM
Launching!

I realize Steve is an old school guy, but he knows a lot of people that know just as much about efi cars as he does about carb'd cars. The guy isn't a big tuner guy like wongs or frost, just a guy that has some experience with tuning efi cars. I talked to him and he seemed very knowledgable. I'm not getting a full tune done through him, just some tweaks so I can live with it until I have time to go to wongs.

I also emailed wongs and am talking to him about a few things and what his schedule is like.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:07 PM
Teching In

LOL well if your guy cant get it done Give Wongs a call. All his parts he keeps in stock are LS parts and is the Northwest only Gm dedicated tunning shop. Use him and you wont be sorry. i've got a buddy that talked the most **** about toms tunning with out ever having any tunning done by tom and he just finished up his cam and ported heads ls2 vette with long tube headers and i convinced him to have tom tune his car cause the other shop he used on his other vette did a poor job tunning. Well he walked out a happy camper his car made 470whp and 440tq and drives like a nearly stock car.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:54 PM
Launching!

So the car is running around 600 like it should, my tach is just off. I've noticed that its been getting better the more I drive it, so maybe it just needs to learn/adapt. I'm gonna call wongs and set up an appointment.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Tim I kinda skimmed over your post and noticed 470hp and 440tq and I was like I never bad mouthed Tom lol but it's someone else with the same dyno numbers. I would suggest Wongs though. He is very knowledgable and does a really good job and for the guys that have issues let him know don't just bad mouth him and say he sucks because I know a lot of happy customers that come out of there including myself. But to the op deffinitly go to Tom wong's while I was there, I had a bad o2 sensor and he was like, I have an old one in the garbage from the last car that replaced both of them. threw it on and solved that issue for me for free.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Teching In

If you want it done right...... You will take it to Tom, if your **** about your cars........... You will definitely take it to Tom.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Launching!

Was able to snag an appointment with Tom the first weekend of may... Excited to see what she puts down.

Quick Reply: OR: Tuning shop