Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Let this be a lesson

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 11:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah my brother's a cop, I was a law enforcement explorer for 2 years, and have about 500+ hours of ride-a-long time in as well. I'm going to be going into it most likely as a career as well. And you're right todd they get hardly any respect.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by strobelite
Sorry if I offended you, was not my intention, I was basically stating that If I were to tell that officer how fast I was going it seemed to be he would have used that against me and wrote me a ticket. Thats the impression I got from him, thus my message let this be a lesson:

If the cop asks you what you think you were going just say i dont know.
I agree with you to a point but they hate being lied to as well, in fact I just got my first speeding ticket a few weeks ago 76 in a 55 and I was slowing down. I saw the cop and the gun pointing at me and pulled over before he could even get back into his car. He made it 75 which is the same fine 55-75, 76mph would have been like $150 more. Then took the time to explain the diversion process to me. You could tell he felt bad giving me the ticket but you know he had a speed trap setup and that is his job.

Kinda funny in my new (new to me) red Corvette pulled over on the side of the highway.

But I've been pulled over probably 15-17 times for speeding, once doing 125mph (HAD A REALLY GOOD EXCUSE For that one and the cop was gearhead Got off on all of them. But I also do the hands on the steering wheel pull right over, tell the truth be polite etc. I've been pulled over with a friend in the car and the friend started arguing with the cop, I was like what the hell are you doing????

Its just part of the game of fast cars, we all would LIKE to keep it to a track but were all guilty of doing stupid crap on public streets, but it does suck when you get caught. Thats why I hate photo radar there is not fun in that
Old 09-29-2004, 11:58 PM
TECH Junkie

By the way this is just fun conversation to me... kinda like argueing over the questions could a Polar bear take a grissley bear, My money is on the Polar Bear
Old 09-30-2004, 12:09 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah I got caught doin 92 in a 60 and the cop did the same thing about the deferrel... unfortunately the judge didn't agree but they did on the 80 in a 60... Now I just settle for a good lawyer instead of trying the D.I.Y. approach.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:33 AM
Loves to change spark plugs

Cops are human, too. They have good days and bad days just like the rest of us. And they make mistakes as well.
There are some that are over the top, but I think those are the very rare ones. Bobby has it right: treat them with honesty and respect and you'll get the same. It also helps to pull the heck over where it's safe for you and the cop.

I've only known of one ticket that was written that was unjustified. My wife got it. Her first and only ticket. The sad thing is, the judge was going to let her off, but she would not answer his question correctly (had her lawyer mode on and her ears off) and he got pissed and just lowered the fine. Oh well.

What sucks is when you realize after the fact how bad they DON'T want to write you up, but you just didn't give them a good reason not to. DOH!

I've had plenty of lucky breaks, but probably the best was passing a stater in a pursuit Mustang in '89. I was driving my Camaro on 205 south of OC and he was coming down the 10th street onramp and I never saw him. I was doing 110 when I finally saw him coming on, lights and all. I pulled over before he got to me. He was at least 50 years old and asked me how fast I had been going. I told him I was unsure, but it was over the speed limit. He said, "Well, I don't know how fast you were going either, but by the time I got clear of traffic and was hitting 80 you were still pulling away from me."
Ooops
Handed over my papers and he asked if the car was a Z28. When I told him no, it's a V6 he was flabbergasted. Made me open the hood and show him.
He gave me a ticket for breaking the basic rule (over 55) rather than what he could have given me. He laughed all the way back to his car.

The worst case involved a jackass from Clackamas County. I won't get into the story, but suffice to say I let him have a huge piece of my mind, scared his ride along, and peeled rubber when I left. No ticket, either. I dared him to. Still pisses me off.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've gotten a few tickets in my time, also gotten some big breaks. Few years ago I was doing around 100 in a 55 in the middle of no where Alaska heading back to Anchorage from Valdez. Come over a hill and a state trooper was coming the other way, my experience has been they all have in car radar. He immediately through on his lights and thought I was good as dead. Slammed the brakes and started pulling over. He turned his lights off and kept going. Pretty much same thing happened last week. In the middle of no where Wyoming doing around 90 in a 65 with my trusty V1 as my co-pilot. Was at night and saw headlights coming at me. Come over the hill and the V1 goes crazy, cop nailed me with instant on. Did the same deal, hit the lights and kept going.

But here is the best one, even though I got a ticket. On an out of the way road that dead ends. Had my video camera set up and taping some rolling burnouts. Set the camera up off the side of the road to tape a nice lonf smokey burnout with the line lock. Just about to drop the clutch and a cop comes rolling around the corner. What could I do, sure as hell wasn't gonna leave my camera behind. So I get out, grab my camera and tripod, and walk up the cruiser, hahaha. Asks me what I'm doing, and tell him the truth. Walks up to the car with me to get my info and has to ask me to turn it off because he can't hear me over the exhaust, lol. Best part is one of his buddies comes out. He comes up to my car with this big smurk on his face. Said his partner told him the deal, but he had to hear it from me. Told him the situtaton and he got a kick out of it. I was even nice enough to show them the video, of which they enjoyed. He really got a laugh when he asked what I did for a living seeing he knew I was in the military. When I asked him if he really wanted to know, he was quick to guess that I was a cop, bingo, lol. I ended up getting a 2 point ticket for improper start, no big deal. I might have been able to lie my way through it, but that's not my style. I was in the wrong and got caught, so I'll take my ticket and press on with life. If anyone is interested, I do have video of the incident, still gives me a chuckle every time I watch it.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:32 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1
But I've been pulled over probably 15-17 times for speeding, once doing 125mph (HAD A REALLY GOOD EXCUSE For that one and the cop was gearhead Got off on all of them. But I also do the hands on the steering wheel pull right over, tell the truth be polite etc. I've been pulled over with a friend in the car and the friend started arguing with the cop, I was like what the hell are you doing????
I need to learn more about everyone. Gearhead is a cop too, lol.

We have the most diverse group of folks.

I do the same, truth, do not argue and have been left off the hook. I had a female cop pull me over an comment I can't believe you just pulled over, (she was gouing in the oppsite direction) and said no one does that...let me off the hook.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:35 AM
TECH Veteran

I need to learn more about everyone. Gearhead is a cop too, lol.
uhhh, your not talking about me cuz...that would mean I have a job I'm not showing up to work for!
Old 09-30-2004, 11:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Just wanted to add a quick lil bit about radar & speed estimation......when I was getting certified to use radar here in Cali, we had to attend a 3-5 day course (depending on who you worked for) and a LARGE part of that class was hands on "speed estimation." We had to stand in the center divider and guess the speed of cars pointed out by the instructors (who had radar to obtain the true speed) and if we didn't get over 95% of them correct, we did NOT pass the class. In Cali traffic courts, speed estimation is allowed in most cases although I never used that as the basis for writing the ticket, just as probable cause for a stop, or why I turned on the radar to begin with......also, in the class they taught us to estimate the speed first when we saw the car, then turn on the radar to obtain a correct reading/evidence for court.

Also, FWIW, this was BEFORE laser radar was used, so I have no knowledge on that as far as what you can or cannot do, policies, usage, etc.

Just an FYI for anyone (or no one) who cares LOL
Old 09-30-2004, 12:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Yep that is EXACTLY how my the traffic cop in Anchorage explained it to me, of course that was 10 years ago as well
Old 09-30-2004, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

I was pulled over ON THE VERY FIRST DAY I installed my GMMG. I was going 80 on a 45 for a few seconds... The guy was all nasty, asking me the same old question on how fast I thought I was going, I said "I don't know, I had my eyes fixed on the road".

He grabs my papers goes back to his car and after ONE minute comes back to me with a totally different tone of voice saying "you can go now Sir, just slow down a little next time"

go figure....
Old 09-30-2004, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WS6freak
I was pulled over ON THE VERY FIRST DAY I installed my GMMG. I was going 80 on a 45 for a few seconds... The guy was all nasty, asking me the same old question on how fast I thought I was going, I said "I don't know, I had my eyes fixed on the road".

He grabs my papers goes back to his car and after ONE minute comes back to me with a totally different tone of voice saying "you can go now Sir, just slow down a little next time"

go figure....
LOL thats what happens when you have a clean record

BTW VERY nice car do you happen to be related to Jeff somehow (97blackTA) If not then I now know of 3 SOM WS6's in the NW and I've heard there is a vert in Seattle....
Old 09-30-2004, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

No, I'm not related to him... Cool, I just found out yesterday that my car is one of 195 made in this color in 2001 that are M6s......

So the cop was nice because he didn't want to screw up my record???... that's odd... I'm not complaining
Old 09-30-2004, 12:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WS6freak
No, I'm not related to him... Cool, I just found out yesterday that my car is one of 195 made in this color in 2001 that are M6s......

So the cop was nice because he didn't want to screw up my record???... that's odd... I'm not complaining
I think its more because if you have a clean record chances are your a decent driver just making a mistake not a big deal. Now if you had three tickets come up that would make you a habitual bad driver and in effort to slow you down in the future give you a ticket. At least that is my theory.

LOL I was saying that because I just sold one of the other 195 01 SOM:

Old 09-30-2004, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

Wow... that is a nice car!.... Did you sell this car???... what happened with those fikse wheels?
Old 09-30-2004, 01:32 PM
11 Second Club

My opinion is what kind of mood the cop is at the time he pulls you over. I had one cop pull me over several times, nice guy one day, next total *******. Bad day at home it happens, Just dont take it out on my pocket book next time please .

I got pulled over for running a stop sign that wasnt there once, that's how bad it is. No joke, no stop sign, didnt get a ticket but still pulled over for it. I was pissed.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:52 PM
Loves to change spark plugs

Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1
LOL thats what happens when you have a clean record

BTW VERY nice car do you happen to be related to Jeff somehow (97blackTA) If not then I now know of 3 SOM WS6's in the NW and I've heard there is a vert in Seattle....

That is pretty interesting that three of them are in the area. My (former) brother in-law has one. He lives in Bonney Lake.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:30 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by GEARHED
uhhh, your not talking about me cuz...that would mean I have a job I'm not showing up to work for!
I was, lol. I do that all the time, wrong spelling...
Old 11-14-2004, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

stick with the truth and there's less to remember
Old 11-16-2004, 03:36 PM
TECH Veteran

And since this thread had resurfaced...it is true most cops don't want to screw up a clean driving record, especially if you are within a 10mph zone of the limit. What gets me is getting pulled over at least 4 times a season in the Z28 compared to getting pulled over in the truck every 6-7 years!
They always say I was going faster than the cruise set at 70mph "no, you were going 81mph" (though that can vary) and blame it on the factory tires! I have *never* gotten a ticket because my standard response is "Look at the mileage, now look at the year (listed on the registration they are holding), ok, would GM sell a car that wasn't calibrated???
I'm pretty sure they are just checking who is driving and the driving record because not one has ever issued me a ticket.

The one cop that I almost beat to a pulp was heading north on I-5 just past Arlington (yeah, we all know that "spot"). Its dark, raining, and this idiot gets so far up on my bumper he didn't see the truck driving the wrong way on the shoulder at a high rate of speed. I noticed all the cars in front of me moving right (we were in the far left lane) so I did too - then saw this truck driving the wrong way. I took a glance in my mirror and the WSP damn near slammed head on into him. It was kinda funny to see his car slow down like "W....T....F!!!!!!!!" He was too busy calling up my license plate to notice traffic around him.

Stuff like that is where you just don't grab a lot of respect from other drivers - it wasn't just me that saw it, there were plenty of cars around that did. That is the only time I had zero respect for a WSP. At 65mph he could have taken out quite a few cars while the rest of us were PAYING ATTENTION.
</rant>

Quick Reply: Let this be a lesson