Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Let this be a lesson

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 02:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let this be a lesson

So I am cruisen on 167 today in the carpool lane. I was going prolly 90+ No one was around I figured what the hay. So in the middle I see a cop outside his car with his fancy little laser thing so I was like o **** , and put on the brakes. My radar detector didnt pick it up so I was like **** there goes my car. He pulls me over and says: "Lets start with how fast you think you were going" I told him i didn't know. So he goes back to his car does all the and comes back and tells me im getting a break because he couldnt get his laser fixed on me. Boy that was a big relief!

Lesson: Don't tell the cop how fast you think you were going he'll probably try to screw you!

Also didnt get a ticket for driving in the carpool lane with no carpool.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:50 PM
Loves to change spark plugs

Don't you love those breaks?

I got pulled over doing 55 in a 35 last Thanksgiving. I had just zoned out and didn't see how fast I was going. Told the lady motorcycle cop I was just distracted and she let me off. Heck, she was even pretty cute to boot.

There were 4 cops making busts, and 2 other people were pulled over behind me. They were all getting written up when I pulled out.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:51 PM
11 Second Club

Haha good break! Those female cops are usually pretty leniant and like you said pretty darn cute too, I'd let some of em "write me up"
Old 09-29-2004, 02:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude he let you off he was being cool about it. If you were going 90 he could have given you a ticket with or without the Laser.

Cops aren't out to screw anybody, they fight with the fact "most" are pretty cool regular dudes who have done stupid stuff themselves, but these are the same guys that are scrapin bodies off the asphault because of that stupid stuff. I would say only one out of 20 traffic cops are "out to get you" but when they do get you its still because you did something wrong

Only bad thing I say about traffic cops is follow the damn rules themselves. If they are just crusing around they need to use a blinker to change lanes, not pull U-turns in the middle of the street etc. That **** does drive me crazy.

Gotta love the police they put there lives at risk and put up with the scum of society everyday and get paid less than I do for sitting in front of a computer all day.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

LOL I had a female cop pull me over after I went sideways in a 35. She was a motorcycle cop and started lecturing me. All that authority packaged in a nice looking blond. I was all messed up, felt WAY more guilty then I should have at the same time I was like damn I would like to take you out

She let me go
Old 09-29-2004, 03:09 PM
12 Second Club

I got pulled over sunday on the way to the Snohomish show. Was going 74 in the 60, saw him going to do the u-turn and took the exit for 9 and that's where he pulled me over. Wrote me for 70 in a 60. And as he was talking to me I think Eric and someone else drove by lol. Oh well... Time to call the lawyer up. Ticket? what ticket? (GMMG is gonna have to wait )
Old 09-29-2004, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

I asked a FEMALE state trooper out to dinner a long time ago when she had me pulled over. It was pretty funny how fast she fogot about why she pulled me over.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

If nobody was around, why were you in the carpool?
Old 09-29-2004, 04:06 PM
11 Second Club

Dude he let you off he was being cool about it. If you were going 90 he could have given you a ticket with or without the Laser.
He wasn't being cool about anything he told me the only reason i didnt get anything is because he couldnt get me on laser, he had no idea how fast i was going he told me if he were to guess h would guess 80-85, I was going near 100. If he had lasered me he would have wrote me a ticket.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Naw man, he was being cool. Cops aren't required to laser people, they just have to estimate their speed and write them for that.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:20 PM
11 Second Club

You gotta be shitting me that cops can estimate someones speed and pull them over, that's total bullshit if that is true
Old 09-29-2004, 04:21 PM
11 Second Club

They are not out to get you? Come on they have hiding spots all over the highways to get people for speeding, on purpose or not...Sorry but where I came from (Nevada) all the cops there were *********, had one guy pull me over at least once a week for total bs things, so thats where I get my biast opinion about cops.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Yep, they can give you a ticket just for an estimate of speed... however, it won't be a "speeding" ticket. A cop gave me a ticket about 9 years ago or so when I was going oh, about 70 in a 35. But because he didn't know just how fast I was going, he gave me a "Negligent driving, 2nd degree" ticket, which was something like a $500 fine!

I fought it and won though... Told the judge that the officer had no idea how fast I was going, and negligent driving means putting other people at risk due to my driving, and because there was no one else around, the only person at danger was me and my own car. She let me off because of that, since the officer didn't put down the traffic conditions, so he couldn't contest my testimony...
Old 09-29-2004, 05:08 PM
TECH Junkie

BECAUSE YOUR SPEEDING!!!!! YES some cops are *********, some teachers are ********* etc. Yes they DO WANT TO CATCH speeders, just like homicide dectives want to catch murderers its there freakin job. Yes there are some power hungry jerks with a chip on their shoulder, but most are pretty cool not to mention car buffs.

I don't want to speak for Washington law but the laser is just a tool, at least in Alaska a traffic cop has to go through hell and back to become a traffic cop pass all kinds of tests etc. They know how fast you go without the radar, if he wanted to be a jerk he could have given you a ticket and it would have been your word against his in court. Guess who's going to win. Again maybe Ken will speak up on this cause I don't know if its the same in WA.

If I get pulled over speeding especially in a speed trap I deserve it, its not me against them. I got pulled over every week when I lived in Oregon City working nights. Usually I was a little bit over the speed limit, didn't signal properly, "swerving" etc. But they are looking for drunk drivers at that point and when I checked out its cool. Don't you want them to do that?

Speed traps are usually setup in areas that have high speeders regularly and accidents so if you get caught in one you are breaking the law, why is it his fault???

Sorry there is just so much cop bashing, just like there is troop bashing and these people are doing there job and in the end its for us. Some do it better than others

JMHO

I'm no innocent I speed quite often usually just in short bursts but if I get caught that is the consequence of my actions not the cop being a jerk.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:55 PM
Tech Addict

I always wondered if someone would get pulled over and there was no signal on the detector. I would never drive without one. Still I have received a ticket with one.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:45 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, I saw the cop trying to laser me but nothing on the detector, so he missed. But enough is enough lets quit bickering lol. Lets go to the track kill the competition and move on :-) sorry I posted such a contriversal subject.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:06 PM
Launching!

Exclamation Oh man feel the love...

Allright seeing as my name was dropped in this thread I will post up what I know.

After years and I do mean years of running radar i can very accurately guesstimate a vehicles speed. Sometimes its kind of a game I play just to show people who ride with me. I will call out the speed and then hit em with the radar.

I am sure even you guys, if you were honest about the whole thing, can pick out a car that is "moving".

If a car is moving and I don't get a speed on it I can and will testify to the guesstimated speed along with all the other factors in the basis of my decision.

I base my decision on whether to write or not on a lot of factors, road weather conditions, other vehicles in the area to include myself! It is amazing that someone will run a a stop sign right in front of me then make the arguement that there were no other cars nearby! DUH! Apparently my car and myself don't count! Pedestrians and other factors are involved in my decision.

I will use speed and other infractions to stop and contact looking for criminal issues and no insurance. I really hardly ever write if you are honest, polite and have all your paperwork in order.

Anyhow, that is but a minimilistic look into my job. I do not post alot about my job and really get a kick out of the bashing threads. Come work a week even a day im my shoes and see what it is really like. Most of these guys who bash and bitch about getting tickets are the type that if you gave em a badge, car and a ticket book they would be out there writing just for the "fun" of it.

Ken
Old 09-29-2004, 11:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by strobelite
Yeah, I saw the cop trying to laser me but nothing on the detector, so he missed. But enough is enough lets quit bickering lol. Lets go to the track kill the competition and move on :-) sorry I posted such a contriversal subject.
Sorry dude wasn't trying to bicker just wanted to let you know even if the cop was being a jerk he was giving you a break
Old 09-29-2004, 11:27 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by kcsoz20
Allright seeing as my name was dropped in this thread I will post up what I know.

After years and I do mean years of running radar i can very accurately guesstimate a vehicles speed. Sometimes its kind of a game I play just to show people who ride with me. I will call out the speed and then hit em with the radar.

I am sure even you guys, if you were honest about the whole thing, can pick out a car that is "moving".

If a car is moving and I don't get a speed on it I can and will testify to the guesstimated speed along with all the other factors in the basis of my decision.

I base my decision on whether to write or not on a lot of factors, road weather conditions, other vehicles in the area to include myself! It is amazing that someone will run a a stop sign right in front of me then make the arguement that there were no other cars nearby! DUH! Apparently my car and myself don't count! Pedestrians and other factors are involved in my decision.

I will use speed and other infractions to stop and contact looking for criminal issues and no insurance. I really hardly ever write if you are honest, polite and have all your paperwork in order.

Anyhow, that is but a minimilistic look into my job. I do not post alot about my job and really get a kick out of the bashing threads. Come work a week even a day im my shoes and see what it is really like. Most of these guys who bash and bitch about getting tickets are the type that if you gave em a badge, car and a ticket book they would be out there writing just for the "fun" of it.

Ken
I will tell you, you have the toughest job. Cops get NO respect. It amazes me. You guys are in a no win situations all the time. People bad mouth you, fight you, pull weapons on you etc.. then you are always to blame when you take action against them.

Society today has no respect for police officers. I could NEVER imagine challenging a officer, let alone picking a fight.

I am not talking about us complaining about speeding tickets like we always do.

Ken you have a tough job I respect it, keep safe and good luck.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:31 PM
11 Second Club

Sorry if I offended you, was not my intention, I was basically stating that If I were to tell that officer how fast I was going it seemed to be he would have used that against me and wrote me a ticket. Thats the impression I got from him, thus my message let this be a lesson:

If the cop asks you what you think you were going just say i dont know.

Quick Reply: Let this be a lesson