Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Winter Projects update

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004 | 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Currently my winter project is at Blood Enterprises in Auburn getting Computer work done on it. So hopfully it will be done by this week & I can have it home by Christmas.

Oh winter project is a white 87 Iroc z with stock L98 V8 with a Holley stealth ram intake that we did last winter & ran it at the track but it didnt run right. So We called around to find a shop that can burn a new chip (after we had someone else do it) & now we find out that the muffler shop that did the headers (a year ago) didnt use the right gaskets so one of the gaskets blew, the new stat is stuck open & half my Electircal wires were burnt to my headers. Oh well chit happens right?

My best run with this car stock was 14.66 at BR, tested times brand new was 14.87 which I can run almost all day unless the temp is hot.
Old 12-19-2004 | 03:13 AM
10 Second Club

LOL I see it is all my fault Mark was doing just fine last time I saw him. I was moving slow but I started moving at 8am
Old 12-19-2004 | 09:51 AM
10 Second Club

Yes, as usual it's ALL your fault Ellis! If I hadn't run out of gas at 4:30 we could have put the water pump on & then the engine would be back together. But without the parts from Jantzer, it wasn't going to be complete.

His car also has a PCM port issue. No data. The HP Tuner won't connect, and neither will my Predator. I used that as my troubleshooting tool. It turned on, meaning there was 12V & Gnd at the port, but it displayed an error - said it had no data. Which mimmicks the HPT saying it couldn't connect. Anyone have a little O-scope I can connect to the data pin to see what's there? (or another idea how to probe this)
Old 12-19-2004 | 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Yes, as usual it's ALL your fault Ellis! If I hadn't run out of gas at 4:30 we could have put the water pump on & then the engine would be back together. But without the parts from Jantzer, it wasn't going to be complete.

His car also has a PCM port issue. No data. The HP Tuner won't connect, and neither will my Predator. I used that as my troubleshooting tool. It turned on, meaning there was 12V & Gnd at the port, but it displayed an error - said it had no data. Which mimmicks the HPT saying it couldn't connect. Anyone have a little O-scope I can connect to the data pin to see what's there? (or another idea how to probe this)
Might try a multimeter. Check to see if there is any voltage on the pin, or if it is shorted. An O-scope would be best for looking at the waveform, but I imagine it's gonna be tough to find someone with one sitting at home. That and I would say that the line is either shorted or open somewhere, and you wouldn't see any data anyway. If it's not in the wiring or the connectors, it'll be internal to the PCM, which would of course suck big time. I've got a decent little multimeter you guys can use, and I'd be more than happy to give you a hand troubleshooting the problem, me being an electronics tech. Just let me know!
Old 12-19-2004 | 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

I've got a couple osciliscopes laying around here.. But I bet the problem would be easily found with just a multimeter. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Winter Projects update