Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Winter Projects update

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 07:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Projects update

So how everyone coming on their Winter projects?

In between my winter racing and Marks overtime we have been slowly working on my car. The headers are installed and today the new cam went in. I enjoyed the process thus far and taking it slow has allowed me to detail each part.

When we finish my car I was thinking of having everyone over for a BBQ to celebrate her new sounds.
Attached Thumbnails Winter Projects update-stock-cam-shaft.jpg  
Old 11-20-2004, 08:02 PM
Tech Addict

what cam did you go with?
Old 11-20-2004, 08:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, part of my winter projects was done last week by Shaun at S&M...

The following things will be coming in the next few months:

New clutch
Tranny build-up
New driveshaft
4.30 gears
adjustable panhard
bigger rear sway bar
front skinnies

And if money permits, I'd like to possibly get the heads ported and polished, get an LSX intake, and a nitrous kit, but we'll see. That stuff most likely will have to wait until after this coming race season... especially since those things would require me to purchase a 6 point roll bar, racing seats, and 5 point harness.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:35 PM
9 Second Club

I got over zelous and finished them. I'm sure I will think of something else to do to her this winter. I've already put 500 miles on the new mods as the weather has been great. This being my first mods on the car I can't get enough of driving it. I know it's not much compared to a lot of cars on this forum but to me it is BAD ***. I need better tires though
Old 11-20-2004, 11:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I Poured half my Block today

Nothing like Cement in the morning LOL
Old 11-21-2004, 12:52 AM
T is for Towing not Turbo

I've got the entire driveline out of the car right now...motor is on stand, tomorrow I'll be swapping springs off my stock heads onto a set of 6.0L heads, swapping cams, doing ARP head studs and rod bolts, drilling a hole in the oil pan for turbo oil return, then hopefully dropping motor back in tomorrow night...new fuel pump is in, went with the Racetronix 99+ plug and play fuel system...after I get motor, tranny, and rear back in, it's just a matter of bolting everything back together with turbo and everything. Only thing I don't have yet is a couple pipes for the exhaust. Other than that, been a lot of work so far, but it's gonna be worth it. I sold my 12-bolt, so stock 10-bolt is going in till I get a 9". That's my update.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wax on wax off, wax on wax off. I do this every weekend so I can protect my baby through these winter months. As for mods, I'm probably going to buy headers before the end of the year. The rest of my mod money is going towards my trip to FLORIDA. GO GATORS! I know you love them Steve.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:12 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rokko
what cam did you go with?
GM Hot Cam, FLP Headers, LS6 Intake, Ported Throtle body.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:22 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ram-it
GO GATORS! I know you love them Steve.
Yes I'am a Gator fan and Florida will always be home. I would like to be able to do the winter car stuff in Florida and summer car stuff here.

Glad to see you post we were wondering what you've been up to.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:42 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah, it felt good to get that cam in. Damn if every one of these cars isn't just a little different tho. We had to mod the lifter rods....I'll get you some replacements Ryan. And the normal puller method didn't work. So we had to use Boyce's puller + we machined the pulley bolt. After a couple more cam installs, I ought to just about have all the specialty tools made.

And I couldn't get the computer to connect to Steve's car either. I'm thinking maybe his battery voltage was too low. I checked his lighter to make sure 'that fuse' wasn't blown. I have read about this happening to others. I need to go surf / ask on HPT's website.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:25 PM
10 Second Club

oh I'll bite. WTF is a lifter rod?
Old 11-21-2004, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

I think they are talking about the metal rods that the LS1 guys all get to use to keep the lifters from falling during the cam change.. Lucky
Old 11-21-2004, 03:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Poik
I think they are talking about the metal rods that the LS1 guys all get to use to keep the lifters from falling during the cam change.. Lucky
Exactly. There are holes next to the cam where you slide a rod in to hold the lifters so you don't have to pull the heads off. And some cars need to have the pass side flat because the lifters sit a little further down than the drivers side, or that hole is a scooch higher. So we had to grind it flat for Steve's car. This is the same rod that was used on Ryans, Jasons, Erics & my car without a problem. Damn LS1s!
Old 11-21-2004, 07:34 PM
Tech Addict

Well lets see, got my new plastic lug nuts to replace the one I broke, lol.

One of these days I am going to get back to repolishing everything if work lets up. I can not wait to see, here etc.. everyones mods.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:42 PM
10 Second Club

Well the Block is Offically filled! A short fill anyways. Not hard but a PITA. Acid was the worst part. When I was done took about 3Lbs Baking Soda to kill it all. I will feel much better while searching for my HP goals now

BTW I have enough acid and block filler to short fill three more engines if anyone wants to play!
Old 11-22-2004, 08:16 AM
10 Second Club

Filling my block with cement might actually make my slug faster.....
Old 11-22-2004, 10:56 AM
10 Second Club

Most of the engine stuff is done but still need to do the cage, seats, harnesses, and more weight removal. But for the most part the expesive stuff is done. Also started on the new project, which i will be something along the lines of 434 s/r 400 d/p just finished paying off the block, just got to save for rotating assy, already got the top end just need to work on a cam to go with this setup. also anybody know someone in the area that can build a powerglide?

Hey steave did you guys install that hotcam dot to dot or did you put it in 2 degrees advance?
Old 11-22-2004, 12:34 PM
12 Second Club

Hey steave did you guys install that hotcam dot to dot or did you put it in 2 degrees advance?[/QUOTE]

We did not install 2 degrees advance.

Looking back on the original thread What are your winter projects and now looking at everyones update the group has been busy. This spring is gonna be alot of fun.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Damn I should have read this post first, here is my winter plan:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/northwest-members/241632-budget-z06-build-up.html

I need to get a ride in one the hotcam auto cars thinking of putting the LS6 springs and hot cam in the Camaro:

Speaking of the camaro should be lowered with SFC's and Tokica (whatever) shocks and a nice gauge overlay with TA Bezel. The Front air damn is being painted and will do the dual porter medenzo (whatever) thing to it in the spring. Should look really sharp.

Mark I know what you mean on everything being different the 98-99 cars are actually a little easier to work on IMHO!
Old 12-18-2004, 07:32 PM
12 Second Club

Despite the fact that Ellis sent me a hungover Mark we made alot of progress today.

Installed the Pulley, Valve springs and Intake, got most everything reassembled. Waiting on one more part order than we can finish her up, tune and test drive.

Quick Reply: Winter Projects update