Introducing the NEW Z06

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 09:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introducing the NEW Z06

http://www.corvetteconti.com/Catalog...egory=136&PG=1

All I can say is WOW! And I want one!!!

Touting a 427 cu in SUPER mouse with 500hp & 475lbs of tq, redlines @ 7k, weighs in at 3120lbs.....DAYUM guys, this thing's a monster!
Old 12-29-2004, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd love to have the car, but if I can just swing a warmed over version of the engine in my existing car I think I could live with that
Old 12-29-2004, 09:59 PM
Tech Addict

Titanium rods, sweet.....

Yeah Bill, I think I could get by with a 427 in my Firebird too.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love the bulged rear quarters but I'm not diggin' the 'Viper-esque' nostril in the front of the hood at all.... Overall though the car looks sweet.

Mike
Old 12-30-2004, 12:29 AM
TECH Veteran

OOOoooohhhh... daddy wants!!!
Old 12-30-2004, 07:24 AM
10 Second Club

In addition to the hefty performance increase, I REALLY like the cosmetic revisions. The fenders, front & rear, look HOT. And they FINALLY put a damn hood scoop on their friggin hot rod. That must have hurt the boys at GM. Overall I think this is the best Vette to come out since the 427 Stingrays in the early/mid 60s.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:47 AM
11 Second Club

I do have to say that this is one car I would consider replacing my SS with. Maybe by the time both kids are out of the house, I could afford to get one. I'll keep dreaming and when I wake up maybe it will be in my garage.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:00 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99LSS1
I do have to say that this is one car I would consider replacing my SS with. Maybe by the time both kids are out of the house, I could afford to get one. I'll keep dreaming and when I wake up maybe it will be in my garage.
I was thinking how good one look sitting next to my SS. When you go to the shows the guys with the killer cars are generally of the age where the kids are gone. Just getting rid of the grocery bill for my 14 year old is worth a Z06.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

The ferrari modena called and left a message. It said "I want my headlights back".
Old 12-30-2004, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

lol

I would really like to have one of these new Z06s, but only because it has a 427. I would much rather have an 04 Z06, with the 427 engine, C6 brakes, drivetrain, all that.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not digging that hood scope nor the front end. First vette to ever have a scoop. The front end of the C6 just ain't doing it for me. While I do not run a front plate at least all previous models had an area in which to put one if called upon by our finest. Imagine all the C6's running around with a plate kit sticking out on the nose. Seeing a C6 in person did not wow me at all. And I hated the passenger side compartment. Looks like stuff is missing. Plus the push botton door handles inside require power. If you are inside and the battery is dead you have to crawl behind the seat you are sitting in and pull the safety wire to open the door. That is if you can reach it. Not to mention no key start. Key fob in vicinity will allow you to push the start button. Too many gadets if you ask me. Get rid of them and lower the costs. I predict that these cars while having awesome performance will not sell the volumes that Chevy hopes for. These cars will easily be $70k and up MSRP. At least chevy did build something that can compete on a big time scale.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess the big thing that bothers me about this car is the cost. Everyone will point to the 427 being the reason. Honestly 500hp out of a 427 is sad. Look at what GMMG did with the ZL1. They took an LS6 made a 427 and it puts out 625hp with a GM warranty. Why couldn't gm do this? The standard LS6 makes 415-425 fwhp. Getting that additional 70-80 is a piece of cake but they went the hard route and the cost are showing it. The LS2 could have been worked over to get there. I hope they did all of this so they have a platform to boost the LS7 to 600hp and let the LS2 get bumped to 500hp. That is the only logical reason I can see.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

One thing you have to look at is the addition of the dry sump. They arent cheap on the aftermarket side of the house. Typical one runs in the 5K once its complete. So figure in the added cost of one from a factory propably 7K for a GM dry sump. Yeah a dry sump is GREAT, was it REAAAAAAAAAALLLLLY needed, probably not. BUT having a factory car with a dry sump IS bitchen.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:03 PM
10 Second Club

I believe the 500hp is a government imposed production car limit......or insurance company.....one-or-tother....or both. For sure the more ponies you pump out of x # of cubes, the shorter it's life-span will be. I'm sure that entered into the equation. But we all know if they got 500hp out of it, we can get 700 easy without touching the block.

And while I have always wanted GM to put a scoop on the Z06, those door handles do NOT impress me. What idiot-engineer thought that up? But what impresses me is how much beefier the suspension & brakes are when the car is lighter than last years'!
Old 12-30-2004, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good points but the 500hp limit is non existent. The Viper is going or already is at 550rwhp. Ferrari has over 500hp cars. So does Porsche and the new Lighting. I just hope this car delivers both on the track and in sales. You do not have to have the most hp to beat another car. The C6's are not selling because most loyalists do not like the looks. Take a look on ebay at dealer prices around the country. The C6 can be had loaded out for LESS than MSRP. When was the last time a GM performance car was being offered for less than MSRP in its first year? The 97's could not stay on the lot long enough. The 84 C4 was the biggest selling year ever. Now the C6 is so far a turd like the GTO. Most of the Z06 guys in other forums are glad the car has more power but the looks and price are keeping them from trading up for such a minimal gain.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:27 PM
10 Second Club

I think the limit is for American cars only, which is why the Viper has hung out there for 3 years now. (and why you pay thousands of $$ to import those exotics) But you say the Lightning went from 380 to 500hp in 1 year? Damn.....
Old 12-30-2004, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ram-it
Good points but the 500hp limit is non existent. The Viper is going or already is at 550rwhp. Ferrari has over 500hp cars. So does Porsche and the new Lighting. I just hope this car delivers both on the track and in sales. You do not have to have the most hp to beat another car. The C6's are not selling because most loyalists do not like the looks. Take a look on ebay at dealer prices around the country. The C6 can be had loaded out for LESS than MSRP. When was the last time a GM performance car was being offered for less than MSRP in its first year? The 97's could not stay on the lot long enough. The 84 C4 was the biggest selling year ever. Now the C6 is so far a turd like the GTO. Most of the Z06 guys in other forums are glad the car has more power but the looks and price are keeping them from trading up for such a minimal gain.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

The Viper is going or already is at 550rwhp.
Viper cost : roughly 80,000.00 give or take depending on location

Ferrari has over 500hp cars. So does Porsche and the new Lighting.
anything in the Ferrari line up that makes over 500hp is going to run you in the 225K+ range. The Porsches will be WELL into the 125K area.

I had no idea they were still making the lightning. I thought the new gen was being scraped.

I just hope this car delivers both on the track and in sales. You do not have to have the most hp to beat another car.
Out of all the cars you listed it is my opinion that the cost vs. overall performance put the C6 well ahead of the others. The car is not as "nice" or "bitchen" but it is much better balanced than the viper and will run circles around it on a road course. Same goes for the Ferraris (except maybe a couple). The porsche would be the only one that might be able to go toe-to-toe with it. With the considerable drop in weight and better aero the car has proven to be a track monster already. The C5R team is having a tough time getting it to stick to the track under some cornering conditions becasue of the new aero design. But they are making adjusments with kanards and wings.

I am going to agree with you on the looks, I still havent warmed up to the car yet either. To angular for my taste. The cost on the new ZO6 is freaking outraugeous IMHO. I wont doubt for a second that the dealership ******* will have mark up on those like its going out of style.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:37 PM
10 Second Club

I actually think GM is trying to entice non-Vette people to buy this new car. Otherwise they would not have dumped the hide-away headlights. That is a big no-no to most people with Vette-ishes.

But I agree Boyce, $ for $ this thing rocks the competition.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

The lighting has Viper truck issues to deal with. Another thing about the C6 is that you have to park manuals in reverse or it will drain the battery. Some kind of safety feature some idiot thought of. Guys are having to BREAK into their cars because its keyless entry. Too many damn gadgets can really sink a good car. Remember when the C1 to C2 change happened it was a completely new look with the same drivetrain options. Same for the C2 to C3 and C3 to C4. The C5 was the first model that did not carry over the drivetrain. Complete new LS1. C6 carried over a revised drivetrain and body style and they call it the best ever. Chevy is working hard to try to convince people that its all new under the skin. So far it ain't working. I expected more of a change all around but its got to be the bean counters steering it.

Quick Reply: Introducing the NEW Z06