Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Speed Channel - Buick Regal/GNX

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 01:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Richard Petty school I did was not much of a school at all.

Classroom: Reviewed basic safety stuff.
Van: Instructors drove the group around track and showed you the line
Drive: The instructor is in the car ahead of you. Your instructions are to stay on his bumper and go where he goes. The instructor gages if you are staying on his bumper and tracking with his line the better you do the faster he goes up to about 140- 145 Mph. Your basically in the middle of the track not anywhere near a wall.

It was fun about $350 bucks for eight laps, over pretty quick though. The ride along program is only about $90 for three laps. You go out in a car that has a passenger seat, two cars side by side and they do a little passing, one straight you up against the wall another one down low and hit speeds of 170- 175 mph. Even though you are not driving I got a better feel for what a Nascar race might actually be like then driving the car at 140 Mph in the middle of the track.

They do the ride along program during the schools and I would do that again in a heart beat.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:30 PM
10 Second Club

What Bill says is true. Tho I have never done 170, I can tell you first hand that 140-145mph feels & sounds TWICE as fast as 120 does. Not to mention how quickly you find yourself going into the turn at the end of that long straightaway that just flew by. I rolled thru a blind sweeper at 120 & it felt like taking an exit ramp a little too quick. I am quite sure that I would have a wet spot to clean up after doing 170.

But also note that I am going back for more..... ADRENALINE
Old 01-10-2005, 08:39 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

It does not get any better. If anyone can top this dyno, post it.
The power level is nice, however, the front fender exhaust exit is beyond Ghetto and make this car comparible to a Ricer in my book
Old 01-10-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John B
The power level is nice, however, the front fender exhaust exit is beyond Ghetto and make this car comparible to a Ricer in my book
I'd have to agree, I'll bet neither one of us would even ride in it would we ?
Old 01-10-2005, 09:38 PM
10 Second Club

Now that you mention it John....and here all I could think was "How well does that short exhaust work with those turbos?" Obvioulsy it works up top, but I would think it would bog like Hell off the line.....but I WOULD ride in it!
Old 01-13-2005, 01:14 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll bet neither one of us would even ride in it would we ?
You got that right.....if I need a real rush I'll twist Steve Barker's arm for a quick spin in his 1175 RWHP C2!
Old 01-13-2005, 03:53 PM
Tech Addict

I'd would seriously like to sneak one of you guys into my car for a practice run as my Nav during next years PE. It would be an eye opener for you, your adrenaline would flow in buckets, and you'd be sucking your thumb while rolled up in the fetal position by the time we got stopped LOL!!
Nobody else has the sack to jump on this? I'll be up for that. I aint askeered of speed. Though I've only had my car up to 135 and that was the day after I bought it. I've had it up to 120 numerous times after that. It is a rush. I love it.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rokko
Nobody else has the sack to jump on this? I'll be up for that. I aint askeered of speed. Though I've only had my car up to 135 and that was the day after I bought it. I've had it up to 120 numerous times after that. It is a rush. I love it.
It would be a rush! But I figure I'm going to have my hands full keeping my shorts empty driving my car at 140. Personally I can't imagine ridng in someone elses car at 170+!!! Not even someone I trust like Bill....
Old 01-13-2005, 04:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
It would be a rush! But I figure I'm going to have my hands full keeping my shorts empty driving my car at 140. Personally I can't imagine ridng in someone elses car at 170+!!! Not even someone I trust like Bill....
I was the passenger in enough high speed pursuits that eclipsed 120 MPH to NOT wanna be the passenger in a car at that (or higher) speed with someone I don't even know..........it ain't about having the sack, it's about trust, the desire to live to see my 36th B-Day and knowing better.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:26 PM
Tech Addict

Bah, you only live once. 36 was 4 years ago for me. I'd jump at the opportunity.

Bill is one of the very few people I'd trust in that situation. All the safety gear is in place. Closed course. He's done it many times before. It's quite a different environment than a HSP.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Bah, you only live once. 36 was 4 years ago for me. I'd jump at the opportunity.
Exactly, ya only live once....I wanna extend it as long as possible.

Bill is one of the very few people I'd trust in that situation. All the safety gear is in place. Closed course. He's done it many times before. It's quite a different environment than a HSP.
I can relate, but since I don't know him, I can't afford him that trust level yet.........perhaps someday.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just so you know, the motor in that GN is an LT1, NOT a V-6
Old 01-13-2005, 07:23 PM
Tech Addict

Exactly, ya only live once....I wanna extend it as long as possible.
I see we're on opposite ends of the spectrum here.

Not that I have a deathwish or anything. But it's a calculated risk I'd be willing to take.

I can relate, but since I don't know him, I can't afford him that trust level yet.........perhaps someday.
I hear ya. So when are you back up here again so you can get to know all the guys and gals?
Old 01-13-2005, 07:24 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
Just so you know, the motor in that GN is an LT1, NOT a V-6
No way in hell that sounded like a 6.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Sitting in the passenger seat while going really fast takes a leap of faith that not many can muster up. Myself included. When I was a freshman in HS my best friend had a '71 Camaro that we used to go drinking and cruising in. There was this very cornery road that we would go racing on at speeds up to 110-115 mph. Young and no fear you know. One day my buddy whom I trusted implicitly lost control and we hit a telephone pole doing about 100 mph. Broke the pole into 3 pieces. The passenger side of the car at about the firewall area was shoved in past the floor shifter/tunnel. I broke my neck, by buddy was severely injured. Never again was I a trusting passenger. "If I ain't driving, then I ain't going" pretty much sums up my attitude now

I'm amazed at my nav Mike. Even after sliding thru that oil at 165+ mph he looks over at me with a **** eating grin on his face and says "WOW !" like I had just given him an extra treat on top of the regular ORR run ! lol ! He's actually more relaxed on the starting line than I am. Navigators have big brass clanking ones as far as I'm concerned
Old 01-15-2005, 01:57 PM
TECH Veteran

I see we're on opposite ends of the spectrum here.

Not that I have a deathwish or anything. But it's a calculated risk I'd be willing to take.

I hear ya. So when are you back up here again so you can get to know all the guys and gals?
Eh, I am just in one of "those" moods right now.......right situation and I would jump at the chance I am sure.

I am looking at being moved up before May this year........if all goes well maybe sooner. Not sure how many more trips before then.......and those will be primarily to scout for houses.

Quick Reply: Speed Channel - Buick Regal/GNX