Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Welders, Fab guys for cage around NW WA???

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 08:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

MAN! Can I get a break

I was actually BURNING my hand!
Old 01-25-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
MAN! Can I get a break

I was actually BURNING my hand!
No breaks and no quarter, Ellis. Ever since that new top ten list came out we're all ultra competitive!

Cory
Old 01-25-2005, 08:56 PM
10 Second Club

hehehe

I HOPE to get MY car back in the shop soon!
Old 01-30-2005, 04:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CHarris
Chrome moly for the average racer isn't worthwhile. It costs more to buy, you can't weld it at home unless you have the tig equipment required, and you can't stress relieve it properly. So you have to have it done at a professional shop at professional prices which usually is much more than the average racer wants to pay.
Costs More: Yes
Uncommon/Spendy/Harder to use Tig Welder needed: Yes
Weighs Less: Yes (due to smaller diameter thinner wall tubing being used)
Stress Relief?: Bogus

Do you think shops like Hadman, Bickel, Haas, Ness, Stroupe, etc have huge ovens they put entire chassis' in to "stress relieve" them. Uhm No. These cars seem to be just fine.....

Though its correct that for the "Average Joe" Mild Steel is probably the best route due to it being easier to work with,and lower costs, but it all just boils down to budget and needs etc.

And the best in the Northwest is in Tacoma, Brad Hadman Progressive Metalcraft. Didn't say the cheapest, but easily the best.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:44 PM
10 Second Club

OMFG!! The Yakima boy is alive!

Heck i can't even get in a call to him when I am in Yakima!
Old 01-30-2005, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KTamez
... Do you think shops like Hadman, Bickel, Haas, Ness, Stroupe, etc have huge ovens they put entire chassis' in to "stress relieve" them. Uhm No. These cars seem to be just fine.....
You're right no one ever seems to stress relieve them. Just because people don't doesn't mean they shouldn't. Big shops can do what they want because they have to stand behind it. I'm not in the habit of giving people information that I can't stand behind. Here's an interesting post from Randy Rippey (of Doug Rippey Motorsports) on another forum about a chrome moly cage after a wreck...

"I saw something this weekend that I thought I should share. I was up north this weekend ice racing. In one of the sprit races a little Honda CRX got turned around on the staight (not self induced). Then a different car t-boned the passenger side door. The cage in the car was built to scca's improved touring specs. It was a nicely tig welded crome-moly cage with a simple X style bar on the passenger side. Well after the door got opened I looked in and saw something. 5 broken tubes not welds, the door bars broke about 1 inch from all the welds. The down bar also got broke in the same fashin. The main hoop also had a huge stress crack in it. Lucky all of drivers were ok just alittle sore the next day. The main point of the story is make sure that your fab guy knows about the crome-moly and it's problems. By the way, the cage moved in about 2.5 to 3 feet in to the center. So I would say that it DID NOT do it's job."

Hmmm... broke about 1 inch from the welds. Sounds to me like something was lacking in the fabrication. Maybe it was a lack of stress relieving... maybe not.

Again, I don't care what the shops do or don't do. I wouldn't buy it. Too much is riding on it.

Cory
Old 01-31-2005, 12:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CHarris

Again, I don't care what the shops do or don't do. I wouldn't buy it. Too much is riding on it.

Cory
*Shrug* My life is riding on it at 190mph...... along with thousands upon thousands others doing the same.... I'll put some faith in the professionally built chassis' that I have SEEN with my own two eyes save people's lives at truely high speeds.

Ellis, If you're in town, lately I can almost guarantee you know exactly where to find me.