Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Throttle body help

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Goodwin
Okay after 3 months I finally got my T.B. back from Jantzer. So I polish up some stainless steel bolts and get ready to bolt it up. I did not realize until I went to hook the coolant lines to the Throttle body that the inlet tubes are missing from the Throttle Body.

So what do I do
Welcome to my world. Janzter never told me about the "forced" TB bypass he was making me do, and when I questioned him about getting MY coolant lines sent back to me so I didn't have to do it, he went completely ape-****, ranting on about how I was comparing his work to sweat shop quality, etc......no idea where he got that from since all I did was politely ask for my coolant lines back.

I could see on a show car where you would want to do the bypass mod, but I had no intention of doing it, and for whatever reason, the proper sized hose was HARDER THEN HELL to find here in L.A. I went to over 12 parts stores before I found enough of the right hose & proper sized clamps to do it. Ended up costing me $10 instead of the $15 that B&M (is that who has it??) charges for their kit.

Oh well, live & learn...........BTW, a couple of the mods on another forum read the emails Janzter sent me and said that because of his 'tude/shitty way he dealt with me, they would never recommend him/his products again, instead focusing on the Shaner or other TB's..............just my worthless $.02
Old 03-03-2005, 01:21 PM
10 Second Club

It was not my intent to attack you Bobby.....geez.

OK, moving on.....2 things to consider here Steve.

1 - the tube on the head is smaller than the fitting that you need to connect it to on the radiator. So you cant' just run a hose from the head to the radiator. You need this adapter kit. (5/16" to 1/4"?)

2 - you don't need to worry about the tubes (or lack there-of in your case) being open on the TB. They have no connection to the air path. Mine are just hanging out there.....which is why Scott removes them.

And most people that run ported TBs have done the coolant bypass mod. But the few like Rott that haven't are screwed when Scott removes the tubes.

And for those that don't know, you shouldn't just plug both ends of this tube when you do the bypass mod. That hose 'burps' the motor of air pockets that collect in the head's cooling jackets. You could develop a hot spot & crack a head.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I've got nothing to cap off, but I sure I can find something to plug them with. My concern was do I need to plug or cap them off.

BTW I've still got your MAF ends, I'll bring them back to you if you need them, if not I'll store them in my car, sure we will hook up at an outing soon.
There is no reason to cap them it is just hollow in there, the coolant runs through some passages in the TB for cold weather starts. Imagine a coolant hose running through the bottom of your TB, it can't leak or anything into the TB or go anywhere else. Kinda funny too the passages make all these turns are crap kinda complicated for such a simple thing.

But no unless you want it for looks you do not need a cap, if scott wanted it really trick he could fill those holes in....
Old 03-03-2005, 01:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rottluver

just my worthless $.02
No input is worthless, great thing about board is learning from each others experiences.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
Want to sell mine back to me?
Sure it's just going to be sitting on my work bench, if anyone wants it.
The red color is really very cool, I just want to match up with all the polished pieces on my car. Also the port job on the one I got from you is very good at least from my unknowledgable and unsmart eyes.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Dude you know I'm just messing with you I just think these guys who charge for these "free" mods are pretty damn smart, because at $10 markup for a 3 dollar product is pretty damn good IMHO.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:27 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rokko
Actually those are Todds MAF ends and I have yet to pay him for them. We'll hook up sooner or later and I'll get em back.

Todd, I haven't forgot. Next time I see ya I'll pay ya.
I am going to charge you interest by the day!!!
Old 03-03-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

That's why I've got the Shaner S3... irony is although the coolant passages are still there on the TB I did the TB bypass with $3.00.... Home Depot has "TB Bypass Mod" always on sale
Old 03-03-2005, 04:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WS6freak
That's why I've got the Shaner S3... irony is although the coolant passages are still there on the TB I did the TB bypass with $3.00.... Home Depot has "TB Bypass Mod" always on sale
Had I been told in advance, ya know, like a professional place/person should do, I woulda prolly had it powdercoated instead of polished so I could have kept my coolant lines.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6freak
Home Depot has "TB Bypass Mod" always on sale
What is the Home Depot mod? I took one of the hoses went to NAPA purchased one long piece, Bobby's idea sounded good. Got home discovered the hose are two different diameters I'm such a dumb ***.

Did answer my question about pluging the hole; no need it was a straight shot.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Just getting the pieces. now that you have the longer hose you can decide where the "bypass" is going to be.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:53 PM
10 Second Club

What is the Home Depot mod? I took one of the hoses went to NAPA purchased one long piece, Bobby's idea sounded good. Got home discovered the hose are two different diameters I'm such a dumb ***.

Did answer my question about pluging the hole; no need it was a straight shot.

I think I said that above somewhere.....except the dumbass part

And I know Bobby. I know how you are....no problem here either bud!
Old 03-03-2005, 07:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER

OK, moving on.....2 things to consider here Steve.

1 - the tube on the head is smaller than the fitting that you need to connect it to on the radiator. So you cant' just run a hose from the head to the radiator. You need this adapter kit. (5/16" to 1/4"?)

2 - you don't need to worry about the tubes (or lack there-of in your case) being open on the TB. They have no connection to the air path. Mine are just hanging out there.....which is why Scott removes them.

And most people that run ported TBs have done the coolant bypass mod. But the few like Rott that haven't are screwed when Scott removes the tubes.

And for those that don't know, you shouldn't just plug both ends of this tube when you do the bypass mod. That hose 'burps' the motor of air pockets that collect in the head's cooling jackets. You could develop a hot spot & crack a head.
What a dumb *** I'am, why didn't I read this post :jest Mark you have to be just a little proud that I figured out I didn't need to worry about the lack of tubes all by my dumb *** self. Actually appearance wise the lack of tubes is gonna look alot cleaner.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

OK, so what did you all end up doing to convert the hose from 5/16" to 3/16"? I am asking, because I tried to do the mod today armed with 15" of 5/16" heater hose, then figured out the hard way that the only fitting that is 5/16" is the one off the radiator. So what do I use to change the hose size? I went to Autozone, they told me to go to Lowes, they told me to go to Ace. What part do I need?
Old 03-07-2005, 06:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Snootch
OK, so what did you all end up doing to convert the hose from 5/16" to 3/16"? I am asking, because I tried to do the mod today armed with 15" of 5/16" heater hose, then figured out the hard way that the only fitting that is 5/16" is the one off the radiator. So what do I use to change the hose size? I went to Autozone, they told me to go to Lowes, they told me to go to Ace. What part do I need?
I ordered the TB bypass kit from BMR (sponsor)

I see your from Tampa, I grew up in Sarasota, my parents live in Holiday.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

Not really "from" Tampa, I'm in the AF at MacDill. But I am from Port St. Lucie, Florida (other coast)
Old 03-07-2005, 06:34 PM
12 Second Club

Snootch,

Checked your site, nice car not many of us have fooled with audio but we do have several members of the military. Appreciate what you guys are doing.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:40 PM
Tech Addict

get a fitting with a 1/8" pipe thread and a 1/4" hose barb on the other end and it works perfectly. just use a hose clamp on the pipe thread part for the radiator side and the other side should slide right in the hose from the small part of the TB.

viola! instant adapter.

Quick Reply: Throttle body help