Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Rust?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Rust?

Do you guys have any problems with rust up there being so close to the ocean? What about in the snow? Do they use salt on the roads? I won't be driving int he snow anyways, but I am curious.

-Sean
Old 03-16-2005, 03:46 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Close to the ocean? Seattle is well over 100 miles inland. It rarely snows here, and they only use salt on the road in two places that you'll probably never drive an F-body anyway...

Old 03-16-2005, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HUM Zeke did you forget the puget sound is salt water? & is down town seattle????

They mainly use sand & gravel around here for the roads during the winter time.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Suprisingly no. Rust problems only show up when the car owner doesnt take care of the car. And to even devop rust it pretty much has to be a case of down right neglect.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:23 PM
Launching!

DOT is spraying some kind of liquid on the roads now in anticipation of freezing temps. Stuff is supposed to keep ice from forming for up to a week if there is no rain. It will leave a nasty black residue on your car if you drive through it while it is still wet, but then you are even more likely to wash the car to remove it, so overall no harm done. I haven't heard of anyone having any issues by being so close to the salt water. It is not like the east coast where you can taste the salt on your fingers when you get close to the water, I think because the water here is so much cooler ~50*.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:23 PM
Tech Addict

you'll rarely come across snow here. unless you're in eastern washington. i thought salt was not used anywhere in wa. where do they use it zeke? the passes?

when are you getting up here madhatter?
Old 03-16-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Uumm, I have lived on or right near the ocean almost all my life (California) and have NEVER seen rust develop due to that.......as they said, it would take some SERIOUS neglect and THEN SOME to get rust on a car on the West Coast.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:24 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by krazzycowgirl
HUM Zeke did you forget the puget sound is salt water? & is down town seattle????
You don't have the same effect being next to a sound that you have living near a beach. There's no surf... no salt spray.

When I lived in Hawaii, cars rusted like crazy.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:33 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by Rokko
you'll rarely come across snow here. unless you're in eastern washington. i thought salt was not used anywhere in wa. where do they use it zeke? the passes?
There are three places they use it..

I-90 from I-82 Interchange to Vantage
I-90 from east of Moses Lake to Lincoln/Spokane county line
SR 6 from Chehalis to Raymond
Old 03-17-2005, 01:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually the worst cases of rust i see are from People who visit or live on the dock's. Horribly rusted four year old cars.

Many newer cars(F-bodies for sure) are galvinized any way so no problems.

Go on ask me how I know hehehe

FIRE BAD!!!!!
Old 03-17-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
You don't have the same effect being next to a sound that you have living near a beach. There's no surf... no salt spray.

When I lived in Hawaii, cars rusted like crazy.
I guess when y'all said "living near the ocean" I wasn't thinking...."so close the salt spray would hit the car." I could see if ya parked your car on a pier all the time (although WHY would you) that it could have negative repurcussions.......
Old 03-17-2005, 11:28 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by Rottluver
I guess when y'all said "living near the ocean" I wasn't thinking...."so close the salt spray would hit the car." I could see if ya parked your car on a pier all the time (although WHY would you) that it could have negative repurcussions.......
When you live in Hawaii, there's no place you can live that isn't so close that the salt air can hit the car. I lived a few miles away from the beach and still got it on my car.

When I lived on the beach, I had to wash my car like crazy just to keep stuff from rusting.

I worked down town, though, and parked my car only a few feet away from Puget Sound, and didn't have that problem.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
When you live in Hawaii, there's no place you can live that isn't so close that the salt air can hit the car. I lived a few miles away from the beach and still got it on my car.

When I lived on the beach, I had to wash my car like crazy just to keep stuff from rusting.

I worked down town, though, and parked my car only a few feet away from Puget Sound, and didn't have that problem.
I hear ya (lucky bastard for living in Hawaii). There did seem to be a considerable amount of spray when I was in Honalulu/Waikiki (sp?) in January of 2003, but it also rained 1/2 of the 8 days I was there. I drove a crappy rental so it never dawned on me about the salt air..................

As for the Sound, from what I have seen on my 15 or so visits to the area.....it isn't particularly windy/not a lotta spray.......and there is the constant rain to wash it off anyway.

Quick Reply: Rust?