Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

ASA road racing spec cam is in!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 01:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ASA road racing spec cam is in!

I was going to wait until next weekend and invite everybody over for a cam install party since the wife and I had planned to go to Kalaloch lodge sat-tues. Didn't work out that way though, the wife got sick and didn't want to go and I had already borrowed Marks cam install tools so I headed out to the garage and stayed up late last night getting the cam in. Today I put the springs in and bolted everything up.

I just fired it up about 5 minutes ago and let me tell you that if the wondrous sounds eminating from my tail pipe equal hp then I've got a bunch more now It's blubbery rich and needs some tuning, but it was much too late to open the garage door and risk annoying my neighbors so I only ran it for 2-3 minutes. All I did was turn the throttle screw up 1/4 turn and it settled into a nice idle. Tomorrow I'll try to do some tuning and let everybody know how it runs. Finally I've joined the ranks of all you guys who have already changed your cams
Old 03-28-2005, 01:03 AM
TECH Addict

I can't remember the specs but I know that's a healthy cam Cool...
Old 03-28-2005, 01:04 AM
TECH Veteran

A cam??? In the 'bird??? No way!!!!
Old 03-28-2005, 01:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think its 226/236 at .050" and .525 lift on both sides...cant remember lsa but i think its on a 110
Old 03-28-2005, 01:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by taufern
i think its 226/236 at .050" and .525 lift on both sides...cant remember lsa but i think its on a 110
That's it exactly. Should run reliably at 6500 rpm all day long for ORR and with the 110 lsa ASA cams make great power under the curve. Excellent road course power band.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

About damn time! Heck "I" did an LS1 cam swap before you did
Old 03-28-2005, 07:53 AM
10 Second Club

Damn Bill, that was quick....congrats!!! Feels / sounds like a new car huh?

Wanna race?

I am SO jealous of you guys with 6 speeds & how easy it is for you to get your car to idle. But, I can drive thur town sipping on my mocha & talking on my cell phone, so it all works out.

As for the tuning, if you have any questions, post up. I will offer a couple basic tips, so if you want to do it all yourself, quit reading now.....

I found multiplying the 400, 800 & 1200rpm column cells in the VE table by .6, .7 & .8 respectively worked well for a starting point for a/f. And when you reset your idle timing up (IF you need / want to make it run even cleaner @ idle) don't forget to tweak the Base Spark Idle table(s) too. Otherwise nothing changes.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Man I am going to have to get me one of them there LS1 cam shafts for my car
Old 03-28-2005, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Damn Bill, that was quick....congrats!!! Feels / sounds like a new car huh?
Sounds like a new car ... shakes like a differant car The feel part I'll have to wait for the rain to stop to find out ...
Wanna race?
Now THAT'S a dumb question lol !
I am SO jealous of you guys with 6 speeds & how easy it is for you to get your car to idle. But, I can drive thur town sipping on my mocha & talking on my cell phone, so it all works out.
Do M6's idle easier than A4's ? I wonder why ? And BTW don't drive around town sipping your Mocha and talking on your cell phone .... that's why we have soccer mom's in minivans j/k haha !
As for the tuning, if you have any questions, post up. I will offer a couple basic tips, so if you want to do it all yourself, quit reading now.....
Any tips you have send 'em my way It's weird, I was the 1st guy in our group to buy HPtuner and the last to use it I've just been using it for other non-tuning stuff like fan turn on temps, top speed, code deletes etc. But NOT tuning. Finally I get to use this thing for what's it's really made for and I'm more than a little excited to be re-curving my distributor and re-jetting my Holley .... with a laptop
I found multiplying the 400, 800 & 1200rpm column cells in the VE table by .6, .7 & .8 respectively worked well for a starting point for a/f. And when you reset your idle timing up (IF you need / want to make it run even cleaner @ idle) don't forget to tweak the Base Spark Idle table(s) too. Otherwise nothing changes.
Thanks for that little tidbit. I know I need to load a new tune into it before firing it up this morning. With the cold TR6 "nitrous" plugs that are currently in it, and as blubbery rich as it's running, I'm more than a little concerned about fouling them out before I even get it out of the garage
Old 03-28-2005, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
About damn time! Heck "I" did an LS1 cam swap before you did
Yeah well when your kicking Boyce's *** with the stock cam there's little incentive to move up
Old 03-28-2005, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Man I am going to have to get me one of them there LS1 cam shafts for my car
Well I just happen to have a top secret super ultra stealth 340 rwhp 172 mph cam out in my garage for sale REALLY cheap ..... name your price lol !
Old 03-28-2005, 10:30 AM
10 Second Club

Good call on the cam bill. That cam should fit your use for the car perfect. From evrything i have read that is a badass cam.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Racehead
Yeah well when your kicking Boyce's *** with the stock cam there's little incentive to move up
If I remember right, I smoked your BIG block car..............
Old 03-28-2005, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
If I remember right, I smoked your BIG block car..............
Memory problems big guy ?! lol !
Old 03-28-2005, 11:49 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Racehead
Well I just happen to have a top secret super ultra stealth 340 rwhp 172 mph cam out in my garage for sale REALLY cheap ..... name your price lol !
I have one that has bigger lumps, put out 355hp, ran 13.0s, and is trained for an automatic that I'll sell even CHEAPER!

And I think M6s are easier to tune because you don't have the neutral, drive, neutral, reverse cycle to contend with.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've always been a fan of the ASA cam, but not many other people on this board are. Its good that it will idle. And will probably be a lot smoother/nicer once you get the tunning all sorted out.

What springs are you running with it? LS6 springs?
Old 03-28-2005, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
I've always been a fan of the ASA cam, but not many other people on this board are. Its good that it will idle. And will probably be a lot smoother/nicer once you get the tunning all sorted out.

What springs are you running with it? LS6 springs?
I've never paid much attention to what MOST of the people on this board think about anything If it doesn't make those all important "peak" #'s then they think it's crap haha ! Luckily all the guys in the NW section seem to "get it" I've known it was either going to be a similiar spec'd custom cam, or the ASA cam for me for a long time. Great area under the curve, easy on valvetrain, and respectable big end #'s.

I'm using the SD1423 springs. Stronger than LS6 springs, but have about 10 lbs less seat load than 918's.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:40 PM
10 Second Club

So, are you done? Doug wants me to come help him isntall his intake & I think I need the in lb tq wrench.....

Quick Reply: ASA road racing spec cam is in!