Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

New Toys

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Toys

A big brown truck visited my house today . I put in a call to Sam Strano about a week ago. After talking to him I decided on Koni Single Adjustables and Some big hollow sway bars .

PICTURES!
Old 05-05-2005, 01:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Eillis and I were talking about this earlier - I think my car is too sloppy. Need to do some research first but daym, that looks like your going to be really stiff!
Old 05-05-2005, 01:47 AM
TECH Addict

I bet you will really like that setup. Did you get lowering springs to go with everything?
Old 05-05-2005, 03:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GEARHED
Eillis and I were talking about this earlier - I think my car is too sloppy. Need to do some research first but daym, that looks like your going to be really stiff!
Make SURE you do good research......I didn't and my car handles absolutely no better then it did before I wasted a ton of $$$
Old 05-05-2005, 08:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So what all did you get Rott? One of my Bigg things is ride Quality. If you spend alot of time in your car you will want it softer then if you just race it or don't drive it much. All out performance is nothing compared to a good street setup.

Most car here could just use some poly bushings ,a set of progresive rate springs and some 1LE Bars This will give the car a tighter feel make it more responsive and give a slightly smoother ride over all.

it might even do ok in an auto-x event or two.

I am no expert but I do know how to make a car feel good on the street. Most of the setups people are going with here are for 200MPH races like Boyce. Following his advise for that is the way to go. On that note has anyone ever ridden in Boyces car? Not exactly a street car even if the cage was not there

So I agree do research and make sure you buy for what you need and not what you think you want

Good luck!
Old 05-05-2005, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

I did do research and the call to Sam Strano helped alot too. I am going to keep stock springs with the new shocks and swaybars. The stock springs are just fine for a street / strip setup. If I was to get some springs I would go with Hotchkis. The thing about springs is they are only going to hurt ride quality in the street. And you will see more performance gains from Shocks and Swaybars. The car is going to sit a little lower anyways with the Koni Shocks.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

Cool On another tangent....

Nice lookin' stuff. I would like to see your review once you get them put in and go for a test drive.

Sorry if this is a hi-jak, but, I would like to ask a couple of questions about my GTO suspension here. I am trying to get rid of the wheel-hop I have off the line, but it also happens on the street, and would probably show up if I went to autox etc. as well.
I was thinking about waiting for the HALs that are supposed to come out for my goat, but I have seen elsewhere that the Konis are more for street/rr applications, and would give me better overall performance. It sounds like Koni adjustables may be the way to go. They are already available too.
I have alot of work to do, and money to earn before I can spend, to get things "tuned" on the rear of my car the way I want, and this would be just one step in the right direction. I am planning on a one-peice driveshaft, Harrop diff cover, upgrading the half-shafts, getting some lighter, better balanced wheels w/better tires. A set of stiffer springs would be nice, but the ones I've found all lower the car too, which is not something I want to do. It sits low enough already.
Does anyone have any useful information/ opinions that I might be interested in?
Thanks for listening,

Maximental
Old 05-05-2005, 01:26 PM
10 Second Club

So how much do those hollow bars weigh?

Wheel hop is a common problem with IRS cars Max. It can be eliminated, but I hear it's much tougher than with a solid rear end. But stiff shocks & a BIG sway bar will help.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
So how much do those hollow bars weigh?
According to Sam, the big hollow 35mm front sway bar he sells (made by Addco) weighs in at 18lbs. Which is about 2lbs heavier than the stock...
Old 05-05-2005, 03:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
So what all did you get Rott? One of my Bigg things is ride Quality. If you spend alot of time in your car you will want it softer then if you just race it or don't drive it much. All out performance is nothing compared to a good street setup.

Most car here could just use some poly bushings ,a set of progresive rate springs and some 1LE Bars This will give the car a tighter feel make it more responsive and give a slightly smoother ride over all.

it might even do ok in an auto-x event or two.

I am no expert but I do know how to make a car feel good on the street. Most of the setups people are going with here are for 200MPH races like Boyce. Following his advise for that is the way to go. On that note has anyone ever ridden in Boyces car? Not exactly a street car even if the cage was not there

So I agree do research and make sure you buy for what you need and not what you think you want

Good luck!
Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, I started out with 17x9.5 and 17x11 wheels with 275 & 315 tires, got some SLP Bilsteins & SLP Eibachs, some Suspension techniques 35/25 solid swaybars and a Guldstrand Adj PHB and a Hotchikis Polished STB (I know STB's aren't worth anything on 4th Gens but it sure looks purty)........................and with all that, I got squat improvement........nill, none, nada, nuttin. I am ready to scrap it all and put her back to stock (especially with all the scraping/banging I get with the true duals).
Old 05-05-2005, 09:18 PM
10 Second Club

Rott.

Dump the bars and go to a 1LE front with a stock rear. you will be suprised how it responds Those bars are for people like Boyce. I had a set on my car and took them off. made the car way to twitchy. For drag racing I run the rear bar and a stock front bar for straight launches.

You might want to go to 17x9.5s on the rear also

give that a try and let us know how it improves.
Most the people I know usually notice an improvment with the STB btw

Dis. I was not trying to offend you. Just sharing a few years of experiance on dozens of forth gen's
Old 05-05-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Rott.

Dump the bars and go to a 1LE front with a stock rear. you will be suprised how it responds Those bars are for people like Boyce. I had a set on my car and took them off. made the car way to twitchy. For drag racing I run the rear bar and a stock front bar for straight launches.

You might want to go to 17x9.5s on the rear also

give that a try and let us know how it improves.
Most the people I know usually notice an improvment with the STB btw

Dis. I was not trying to offend you. Just sharing a few years of experiance on dozens of forth gen's
Thanks......I really appreciate the help/advice. And to think I HAD a set of 17x9.5s all the way around up till about 6 months ago when I sold them....couldn't justify 3 sets of rims (stockers, the ones on it and the set I sold). I have heard murmurs about my bars being too big.,........figures, got em for a great deal too LOL

Just curious, what is the size of the 1LE bar? My buddy with an '02 'Hawk w/the 1LE setup has some fatties (stock) on his Bird.

Anyway, thanks, I will see what I can do to get this POS back into good cornering shape.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:44 PM
10 Second Club

I can't remember. I have a set in the shed. His should have them yes. See if he wants to swap
Old 05-05-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Veteran

I can't remember. I have a set in the shed. His should have them yes. See if he wants to swap
Sadly he is quite content with his stock setup otherwise I would be all over them. JoO wanna sell yours?????
Old 05-05-2005, 09:50 PM
10 Second Club

sorry man they are my street set
Old 05-06-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Veteran

sorry man they are my street set
No worries, just figured I would ask.

Quick Reply: New Toys