Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Coil Relocation Kit Info

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Well if you grew up around a gear-head he would have had one and you would have seen it. You would have used it when the go kart wasnt running right or the lawnmower wouldnt start. It was a common peice of equipt. Yes spark plugs do have life expectancy. Do you know what one looks like when its no good? I do. Like I said. I responded with what was given and still am.
Ok, putting aside the responses and the whys and the disputes........I grew up around SEVERAL gearheads but we didn't own a go-kart.....sorry. And we did maintenance (ie changing plugs) on the lawnmowers and other equipment so we didn't have a time when it wouldn't start.........hence the term preventative maintenance. Everyone is different, that is what makes this Country so wonderful.

And for the record, I do know what a spark plug looks like when it has outlived it's usefulness..........I am not clueless nor am I being a jerk or sarcastic with you so there is no need for you to be that way with me.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Wow, how come I didnt see that TR?
Really opens up the valve covers but clutters the intake. I guess you cant have one without the other. I can see that would make working down there a dream!
Old 05-12-2005, 05:44 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rottluver
I guess I am glad I don't come from wherever that is then....cuz if a little preventative maintenance causes multiple strokes, I don't wanna see what they would do when I had my LT headers and true dual exhaust installed........

The reason I changed them is like I said before, I have helped change many others on cars with a lot more miles then mine.......and they were a royal pain in the butt to get out so I didn't wanna go that route with my car. Better to get them freshened up, put on some anti-seize and be ahead of the game, then take the chance of breaking off one in the block that is "frozen" in there from time/miles/grime etc.
Preventive maintenace is fine a great idea. Modding a car has nothing to do with it. These guys were mechanics and didnt believe in wasting 1 cent. If it wasnt corroded and could be cleaned to be good as new then thats what it got because it was cheaper than buying new. Saving a few bucks here and there adds up was the school of thought.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:46 PM
Banned

Ok, putting aside the responses and the whys and the disputes........I grew up around SEVERAL gearheads but we didn't own a go-kart.....sorry. And we did maintenance (ie changing plugs) on the lawnmowers and other equipment so we didn't have a time when it wouldn't start.........hence the term preventative maintenance. Everyone is different, that is what makes this Country so wonderful.

And for the record, I do know what a spark plug looks like when it has outlived it's usefulness..........I am not clueless nor am I being a jerk or sarcastic with you so there is no need for you to be that way with me.
agreed. Did you guys have a cleaner? Someone besides me has to know what I'm talking about. Oh that doesnt sound good
Old 05-12-2005, 05:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Preventive maintenace is fine a great idea. Modding a car has nothing to do with it. These guys were mechanics and didnt believe in wasting 1 cent. If it wasnt corroded and could be cleaned to be good as new then thats what it got because it was cheaper than buying new. Saving a few bucks here and there adds up was the school of thought.
You have your school of thought, I have mine, other people have theirs.....why are we dragging this out then if we all agree we can all have opinions? I just don't happen to beleive in nor do I care to clean spark plugs when I can buy them. To ME, $48 for new plugs every 2-3 years is not wasting anything. It is keepig my car running the way I want it to, that is all.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:47 PM
TECH Veteran

agreed. Did you guys have a cleaner? Someone besides me has to know what I'm talking about. Oh that doesnt sound good
I had a maid if that is what you meant.............
Old 05-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Banned

I had a maid if that is what you meant.............
That would explain your wasting of money... LOL just kidding relax..
spark plug cleaner silly..
Old 05-12-2005, 06:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just don't happen to beleive in nor do I care to clean spark plugs when I can buy them. To ME, $48 for new plugs every 2-3 years is not wasting anything. It is keepig my car running the way I want it to, that is all.
And that's all I was saying as well... just not worth it to me to clean a plug when I can put a $2.25 plug in (I was a little off on the $2 thing, prices went up since I last bought plugs) and be done with it.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:34 AM
TECH Veteran

That would explain your wasting of money... LOL just kidding relax..
spark plug cleaner silly..
I know you were kidding, I was just being a smart-alec......it's what I do.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:48 PM
Banned

Here ya go. Proof I'm not crazy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=34999
Old 05-13-2005, 07:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok. I would still rather replace them if I am going to go to all the trouble of removing them to begin with....but to each, their own.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did this back in 2000-2001 or so:

I got back into the "stock look" and those valve covers were a huge PITA anyways.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Visceral
I did this back in 2000-2001 or so:

I got back into the "stock look" and those valve covers were a huge PITA anyways.
up on the fire wall, nice. I was wondering if anyone had done it differently. I was wondering why not on the inner fender wall or somewhere else. My concern is more asthetics than anyhting. I dont mind the 5 bolts to remove the coil packs. But I would like a much cleaner looking top of motor so when you look at it you can see valve covers, intake, maybe the heads a little, bling fuel rails, red injectors... to me the looks of the compartment are what matter as I'm not constantly changing plugs or tightening headers bolts (bought locks for that) but also isnt there something to do with resistance and the length of the spark plug wire? Is there an actual limit or just more expensive wires to make up for it?
Old 05-14-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Wow cleaning spark plugs, I haven't done that since I was 17 making 8 bucks a hour driving my old 71 Chevy shortbox that liked to foul plugs when it was 25 below.

Give me a break look at your mod list for Christ sake would those same guys that faint at the site of new spark plugs appreciate the fact that you changed your oil pump out when the stocker is good until at least 100k? That you spent FIFTY dollars on an air filter that doesn't flow as well as a 10 dollar quality paper one????

Shoot I'm guessing that the stock shifter "shaft" could have lasted AT least 150K.

I guess what I'm saying is that you have a point in the "real" world of cars. (although I did just change the spark plugs in my truck because I was doing other things they maybe had 5K on them)

In our world and with your sweet *** ride you are DEFINATELY in our world, then that type of reasoning goes to the curb. If I took my headers off tomorrow I wouldn't put it past myself to buy new plugs. When I did my cam and head swap in the WS6 I probably spent a 100 on oil and filters within 2 weeks. Its not practical its not needed its just what we do!!!

to answer your question the shorter wires are better which is why gaps aren't so important in our cars but a quality wire that is a little longer is not going to make a difference.

The biggest advantage I see in the coil reloaction besides looks (which is enough) is the fact the valve covers are easy to get to and off, when your like Mark and I will have the valve covers off 10 times a month its seem pretty slick

Also the coils can get hot especially in vettes it seems and leads to premature failure...
Old 05-14-2005, 08:10 PM
Banned

Just when I think I'm out some asscake drags me back in. Many people still clean plugs today. If you can afford to buy them at whim then good for you. Your asinine list of examples isn’t even worth going into. Modding a car isn’t in the same category and you have no idea of the wear on my shifter. Some people cant afford to change their plugs pre-maturely and disseminating information that isn’t true is just plain ignorant. IF there is a practical reason for doing something then great, I was trying to ascertain that fact on the relocation kit.. You think because you can afford an fbody it means you can just **** money away? LMAO!! Any money saved is money earned, not my fault if you like to waste resources, just don’t call it necessary cause its not, its just pissing money away because you can, big ******* deal. This topic was dead until your late lame *** jumped back in and started again.
And no your not in my world.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Just when I think I'm out some asscake drags me back in. Many people still clean plugs today. If you can afford to buy them at whim then good for you. Your asinine list of examples isn’t even worth going into. Modding a car isn’t in the same category and you have no idea of the wear on my shifter. Some people cant afford to change their plugs pre-maturely and disseminating information that isn’t true is just plain ignorant. IF there is a practical reason for doing something then great, I was trying to ascertain that fact on the relocation kit.. You think because you can afford an fbody it means you can just **** money away? LMAO!! Any money saved is money earned, not my fault if you like to waste resources, just don’t call it necessary cause its not, its just pissing money away because you can, big ******* deal. This topic was dead until your late lame *** jumped back in and started again.
And no your not in my world.

NIIIICE, no one hear gets personal other than you, nobody called you an asscake, or lame ***.

Nobody has given any disinformation, nobody here I think has even said you were wrong, YOU say everyone else is wrong, YOU insinuate other people are stupid because they don't clean there spark plugs and buy the cheapest spring that can handle there application, that a coil kit is waste when in fact Mark's car will wipe its *** with your car in every catagory....YOU not me, YOU miss everyone else's points and because of that make personal attacks.

And if you want to fault me and others for being able to "afford wasting our money" by working hard and making something of our selves then so be it I don't really give a ****.

Thank god I'm not in your world.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:18 PM
Banned

I re-iterate, I was done with it. I agreed with a few points I moved on. You drag it back up and dont like me telling you off. Big deal. I tried to point out a thing in the other thread and yes I dont like the way some people have responded to my questions or statements but I had moved on. You dont like what I had to say to you, you should have kept your 2 cent mouth shut. I was done you started it again. asscake
Old 05-14-2005, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

asscake
There a a small number of folks on this forum that you don't get to call an "asscake" and maintain your respect around here. In NW, Bobby is one of them. I expect that you will probably throw out the obligitory "I don't give a ****".

Call it unfair, call it lame, whatever... but if you want our help, don't disrespect Bobby too much.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

My concern is more asthetics than anyhting. I dont mind the 5 bolts to remove the coil packs. But I would like a much cleaner looking top of motor so when you look at it you can see valve covers, intake, maybe the heads a little, bling fuel rails, red injectors...

I don;t worry too much about the aesthetic value of things. I figure form follows function. I bought the C5R valve-covers and moved the coil packs because I had some very early design T&D shaft rockers that were totally adjustable. I am a firm believer in adjusting rockers while the car is running. Thats difficult/impossible with coil packs on the valve covers.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:28 PM
Banned

Look Visceral the subject was done. Bobby had to re-open it after the fact and I didn’t like what he had to say. Your right I don’t give a **** who he is, as his comments were nothing but inflammatory and condescending. IF he wanted respect he should have posted differently and not tried to lecture me. You can respect who ever you want and I’ll disrespect who ever disrespects me. Take the tone he took and you’ll get the same. Notice I didn’t go off on you? You presented your bobby case without being condescending or disrespectful to me and I tried to let you know how I feel without insulting you. That’s how it works with me.

Quick Reply: Coil Relocation Kit Info