Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

question for people from oregon

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default question for people from oregon

I've been saving my soda cans at home to be recycled. Can I bring them to oregon and get 10 cents per can or do I have to be an oregon resident or anything like that?

We're planning on taking a little weekend trip down to portland, and we probably have enough to pay for our hotel room.

Thanks
Derek
Old 05-11-2005, 12:05 PM
TECH Regular

Just take them to a store that has a recycling center. Pop the cans in (not crushed!) and it'll print out a receipt you can take to the register. I think Cub Foods was our preferred place when we lived down there.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any freddies or winco has the can machines. They are a PITA but we drink a shitload of Diet Pepsi so I use them. Its only 5 cents a pop can though....
Old 05-11-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Regular

What do you do if they are already crushed. I have 2 55 gallon barrels full of crushed pop/beer cans.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, all of mine are crushed!
Old 05-12-2005, 06:22 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
yeah, all of mine are crushed!
LMAO!! no crushies!! and its 5 cent. Some stores do monitor for out of stater cans. My local Safeway does.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

What are the cans marked or something? I buy most of my stuff in Oregon and get charged the deposit fee, so I will bring them back to get my deposit back.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rockin C Racing
What are the cans marked or something? I buy most of my stuff in Oregon and get charged the deposit fee, so I will bring them back to get my deposit back.
No the cans arent marked, the people monitor the parking lot and look for washington plates. But thats where I live in St Helens. Its a small town. You wouldnt have any trouble at a Fred Meyer at all. And hell ya man, if you pay that deposit then of course you need to get it back! I dont bother with it but my wife does. Some people are dilligent about it some arent. People still make good money collecting cans.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:18 PM
Loves to change spark plugs

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
No the cans arent marked, the people monitor the parking lot and look for washington plates. But thats where I live in St Helens. Its a small town. You wouldnt have any trouble at a Fred Meyer at all. And hell ya man, if you pay that deposit then of course you need to get it back! I dont bother with it but my wife does. Some people are dilligent about it some arent. People still make good money collecting cans.
ACTUALLY, there are a few machines that scan the damn barcodes and will kick back some out of state cans. I've never seen or heard of that happening with WA cans.

Crushies may as well go straight to recycling because the machines can't scan them and getting a store employee to count your cans is near impossible anymore.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 97BlackT\A
ACTUALLY, there are a few machines that scan the damn barcodes and will kick back some out of state cans. I've never seen or heard of that happening with WA cans.

Crushies may as well go straight to recycling because the machines can't scan them and getting a store employee to count your cans is near impossible anymore.
Wow, I did not know that, about the barcodes. Easy way to do it.

Quick Reply: question for people from oregon