Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Cam is in, springs are done....

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 08:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cam is in, springs are done....

WOW what a PITA The vette is still easier to work on but that steering rack and the HOOD is a PITA. Next time I do any substantial work on the car I am having a friend help me take off the hood first.

The springs were a breeze using the TDC method although the Larry's tool has some cheap hardware the nut stripped the threads and popped off still don't know where it ended up, fixed the threads on the stud and bought a stainless nut and washer I recommend doing this before even using it.

The JPR tool I borrowed would not go in so I tested a lifter a couple of time with a pushrod and they were stuck up pretty good. Did the Russian roulette method figuring if I drop a lifter I'll just order a freaking stroker shortblock

So now I have to get the timing chain lined up which is a bitch with the car in the air and the hood in the way, but once I get that in and the balancer back on it should be easy the rest of the way, now that I've said that it will be a bitch but oh well. Hopefully I'll have her running by tomorrow and at the track on Friday night with Chris's drag radials!

HMMM now I better get to work although its tempting to go back down to the garage and finish the car......
Old 06-13-2005, 09:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1
WOW what a PITA The vette is still easier to work on but that steering rack and the HOOD is a PITA. Next time I do any substantial work on the car I am having a friend help me take off the hood first.

The springs were a breeze using the TDC method although the Larry's tool has some cheap hardware the nut stripped the threads and popped off still don't know where it ended up, fixed the threads on the stud and bought a stainless nut and washer I recommend doing this before even using it.

The JPR tool I borrowed would not go in so I tested a lifter a couple of time with a pushrod and they were stuck up pretty good. Did the Russian roulette method figuring if I drop a lifter I'll just order a freaking stroker shortblock

So now I have to get the timing chain lined up which is a bitch with the car in the air and the hood in the way, but once I get that in and the balancer back on it should be easy the rest of the way, now that I've said that it will be a bitch but oh well. Hopefully I'll have her running by tomorrow and at the track on Friday night with Chris's drag radials!

HMMM now I better get to work although its tempting to go back down to the garage and finish the car......
Awesome dude!!!

BTW, I have Friday off of work!!!

Mike
Old 06-13-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Junkie

SWEET looks like your going to be going to the track with me. You can run the vert if you want Jyla is going to be out of town.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what a bastard.

ah well.
i have 2200 miles on my car now

Old 06-13-2005, 09:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Nathan
what a bastard.

ah well.
i have 2200 miles on my car now

Like I said before you have alot of catching up Figure by next spring there'll be a clutch and 125 shot on it. If you can beat that then oh well I'll just have to bow down.

I'd still rather drive your car on a trip than mine though!

I'd offer you my stock cam and springs cheap but you already have them in your LS2
Old 06-13-2005, 09:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SWEET looks like your going to be going to the track with me. You can run the vert if you want Jyla is going to be out of town.
LOL,,,, sounds like an excuse to go have some fun to me!!!

Mike
Old 06-14-2005, 03:17 AM
TECH Regular

Like I said before you have alot of catching up Figure by next spring there'll be a clutch and 125 shot on it. If you can beat that then oh well I'll just have to bow down.

I'd still rather drive your car on a trip than mine though!

I'd offer you my stock cam and springs cheap but you already have them in your LS2
when i was in nevada last week, my car didn't feel as good.. i was tempted to put some nitrous on it then!
stupid 4000'+ elevation

feels stronger now that i'm back home.. i think the engine may have broken in...
also i averaged 25.1MPG on the way there
and 26.2MPG on the way back

574 miles each way.. and it was pretty comfy

i won't race you anymore though.. eventually i need to hear that cam
Old 06-14-2005, 07:48 AM
10 Second Club

COOL! Sounds like we might have another 11 sec car in the NW soon. So Mr "I'm not going to mod this one", which cam did you put in? Looking at Erics Vette, it looked like you have to pull the ABS module. I take it that is not the case?

As for the Larry tool, I agree, good idea, weak *** hardware. I put a big washer on it & that helped some. And heat your balancer up in the oven at 250 for 20-30 minutes & it will slide on to the point where you can use a bolt to tighten it down.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:10 AM
TECH Regular

Bobby - Which track? PIR is closed this weekend for the champ cars.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
COOL! Sounds like we might have another 11 sec car in the NW soon. So Mr "I'm not going to mod this one", which cam did you put in? Looking at Erics Vette, it looked like you have to pull the ABS module. I take it that is not the case?

As for the Larry tool, I agree, good idea, weak *** hardware. I put a big washer on it & that helped some. And heat your balancer up in the oven at 250 for 20-30 minutes & it will slide on to the point where you can use a bolt to tighten it down.
The ABS just need to be unbolted then you can move it up just a tad and the steer rack will clear other than that it doesn't get in the way. You unbolt the power steering assembly and braken from the head\block then you can get to the two lines going into the steering box with an 18mm flare wrench and then take the whole thing out. Again easy just time consuming

Went with the Stealth II, Visceral help me make up my mind I like the idea of more power with stock idle and driveability
Old 06-14-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Rockin C Racing
Bobby - Which track? PIR is closed this weekend for the champ cars.
Woodburn, unless we have a bunch of people showing up at PIR I think I'm pretty much done with that place. You can really feel the difference in the tracks when shifting into second. PIR is like a skating rink while Woodburn even when you spin you can feel the tires "biting"

Plus 4 runs a night at PIR compared to 15 a night at Woodburn
Old 06-14-2005, 01:12 PM
10 Second Club

The St II should be an intersting combo with those headers! Can't wait to see your new timeslip. What did the headers do for you?
Old 06-14-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Congrats. how many times did you smack your head on the hood latch? I lost count around 20 or so. ...I hear those drag radials like to be launched at 5499 RPM.

Quick Reply: Cam is in, springs are done....