Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Hey guys, TX guy moving to OR! Need some info...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005 | 01:58 AM
Launching!

Default Hey guys, TX guy moving to OR! Need some info...

im moving to Hilsboro/Forest Grove area in the beginning of August with my gf for a few years, and she was telling me about DEQ testing. I have a few questions:

I currently have a 99 Z28 with LTs, ORY, Lid

Do they put the car in a sniffer ONLY if u throw codes, or is it on all vehicles? How often do u have to take it in for inspection? l also have double limo tint on my car, and I can get away with it in TX because they only check the side windows and not back...so i pull my window fuse and say they do not currently work, and it works like a charm! Are they picky about not having a front license plate? If they are picky, can u get it dismissed easily in court by just rigging the front plate and then takin it off?

Im really worried about my LTs, and ORY...and if I have to go back to stock, then I will.

on a side note: i went to OR a month ago and didnt see any fbodys or stangs...a lot of rice up there...i guess im just used to Houston where everyone has muscle..lol

Fill me in guys...thanks

another side note: Carls Jr and Coffee People ROCK(screamers)...thats on thing I miss about OR!
Old 06-14-2005 | 03:12 AM
TECH Regular

well, i just got my plate from the dealer... it's a 4 year registration

i already have the mufflers off.. not sure how strict they are with emissions (probably fairly strict)
my tint is considered illegal (20% front, 5% back)
and i am not putting the front plate on my car

i'll let you know when i get any **** for them.
so far so good

but you won't see as many sports cars that you are used to... that's for damn sure
Old 06-14-2005 | 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

hey man i'm from houston and i still have texas plate. so don't have one on the front. (knock on wood) but i havn't had any trouble yet. been pulled over a few times.

oh and there is a lot of rice ain't nothing like houston
Old 06-14-2005 | 10:06 AM
Loves to change spark plugs

I've not run a front plate on any F-body since 1988 and never been tagged for it. But my friends have over the years. Luck?

DEQ will probably make a note about no front plate, but nothing happens because of it. I get the same notation every 2 years - which is as long as your tags are good for.

The will only scan the computer for codes on your car. No sniff test. Give it a few more years and they will sniff test on the rollers, but for now they just scan the 'puter.
Most folks that I have heard have problem passing with an ORY just grab an old cat from the wrecking yard and fab up a Y just for DEQ. Easy on, easy off sort of thing.

Don't know about tint, but DEQ is very unlikely to care about that. Unless you're burning it

Keep your Texas plates as long as you can.
Old 06-15-2005 | 10:19 AM
FormerVendor

Oregon has what is known as a BAR 31 test standard which is also referred to as an enchanced test. They will take your car and run it on a small dyno and sniff it. What comes out of the exhaust is measured in grams/mile. It is a stringent test. The BAR 31 test is for most cars prior to OBD2.

OBD2 cars however are just checked for codes, and they check for the IM 240 rediness flags. If your IM 240 status flags are "NOT READY" in the PCM you will fail the test, or if you have active DTCs you will fail. I had one car a C5 with a blower that a so called local tuner worked on, installed Long tube headers, removed the rear o2s, failed to use the supplied exhaust clamps so the car had exhaust leaks. It failed miserably. He even removed the DTCs with LS1 edit or whatever he used, that don't work on IM240 ready flags. If the PCM don't see the correct data it won't give a ready flag for a particular system. No ready status means you fail at the test station here in Oregon if you have a OBD2 car. I finally got that C5 to pass by fixing the exhaust leaks, an AIR system screw up, and reinstalled the rear o2 sensors. What a HACK this guy was!
Old 06-15-2005 | 03:11 PM
On The Tree

We don't have testing in Albany Oregon......
Old 06-15-2005 | 03:45 PM
Banned

Depends on where you live, no testing for me here in ST Helens, but you will have testing in Hilsboro not sure about Forrest Grove.

Quick Reply: Hey guys, TX guy moving to OR! Need some info...