Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

road racer in fbody > than some dude in C5

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 02:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default road racer in fbody > than some dude in C5

I got a little break from house chores today and decided to try to get my enhanced I/O Hptuner setup to log my LC-1 W/B. That didn't take very long so it was "see ya in a while honey" as I headed out the driveway to check it out. Before long I found myself on I-5 headed toward Bellingham. I was trying to log some of the lower cells so was in 6th gear in the slow lane at about 55 mph ( yes in a 70 zone ), cars were whizzing past me, but I needed some time in these cells. Just before Sammish lake a yellow C5 passed me going about 75 and at first I just continued doing what I was doing. A few more cars that were behind him passed me as well and by now the C5 was 3-400 ft in front of me. Then I started thinking to myself " I wonder what that guy would do if I jumped in the fast lane ? " So I did

At this point there were 3 cars between us and probably 5-600 ft. I stepped it up to 80 and jumped back over into the slow lane and went around 2 of the cars that were behind the C5 leaving just one between us. Because of the slow lane traffic I had to jump back into the fast lane and follow the one remaining car for about 1/2 mile or so, meanwhile the C5 was probably a full 1/8 mile in front as he steadily pulled away from us I don't think he saw me back there yet, he was just making some good time. Finally I was able to get around the car holding me up and stepped it up to 90 mph or so hoping to catch the C5 before we got to this stretch of the freeway where NO cops can hide and there is some great high speed sweepers This is about 5 miles before Bellingham, just after the last Sammish lake exit, and I'm sure some of you know exactly where I'm talking about

As we get to this spot ( downhill into a right hand sweeper ) he's still a long ways in front of me ( probably 6-700 ft ) so I started squeezing down a little harder on the throttle in 5th gear and gaining ground on him, he obviously saw me do this because I see a little puff of smoke and he actually starts to put a little more distance between us. I put my foot to the floor, but leave it in 5th gear and he obviously had downshifted and was full in it because he still was pulling away slightly as I'm kind of waiting for my car to really come on cam. I could have dropped a gear, but was confident that there was plenty of time to make my move before we had to slow down coming into Bellingham. Anyway I stopped his pull on the downhill probably doing 120 or so and gained some ground on him as he braked for the righthander. I exited the sweeper with at least 10 more mph than he did and so pull up within 150 ft of him on the following straight. He notices I've closed up on him and hammers it again hard, but then obviously remembers the next right hand sweeper coming up because I see brake lights flash 2-3 times as he brakes in a fairly uncertain manner .... and here's my chance I stuffed the throttle into the carpet going into that last sweeper and exited it doing over 135 mph, which was at least 20 mph faster than he went thru it and pulled right up on his bumper. I had so much momentum on him that I could have pushed the clutch in and coasted by him, but instead chose to be satisfied that the point was driven home in a very direct way As we were starting to come into Bellingham he pulled into the slow lane so I pulled up beside him to give him a smile and a thumbs up. He returned the favor in an uncomfortable "forced smile" kind of way lol ! I saw him look down at my rocker panel and read my "openroadracing.com" sticker. I think at this point it was dawning on him that he'd been completely outclassed. It wasn't really a great accomplishment since he wasn't a very good driver, but rather just some guy who could afford a C5. It WAS fun though haha !

The best part is I got to go home and relive the kill by re-playing my log file I'd been making when we met up. It's kind of my trophy now lol !
Old 08-01-2005, 07:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn Bill, that is sweet. Sounds like the perfect Sunday drive!!! And after following Don B thru the truns going to his house, I can tell you a C5 will take a corner!
Old 08-01-2005, 10:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a nice rush.

Quick Reply: road racer in fbody > than some dude in C5