Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

WHAT A WEEKEND! (Portland Grand Prix)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default WHAT A WEEKEND! (Portland Grand Prix)

Got to Portland early on Thur. to help Lou and Louis at the Portland Grand Prix. Lou had rented the car to Dino Cressentini for the weekend (not cheap either). In practice sessions Dino posted P1 and P2 but in the 3d session had an on/off and put the car into the tire wall. Only put some rubber scuffs on the nose though. We were a bit concerned at that point.

Dino was also racing a Mazdaspeed 626 in the touring class and qualified 2nd, but and early aggressive move on lap 1 spun him and put him way back. He then worked himself back up to a good position only to spin again on the last lap putting him almost dead last.

At that point Lou was a bit nervous about how his car would come back from the GT race. He and Dino had alot of "heart to heart" time prior to the race discussing strategy and how to run the car. Dino qualified 4th and was in a good spot for a podium finish.

On race day Lou was in the tower co-announcing, Louis, myself and the other 2 crew were in the pits. On the grid Louis came over the net and said "Dino, DO NOT go until those red lights go out", "Dont worry Louis, I've been to this party before, I know how its done" is what Dino reply'ed with. At that point I felt pretty good.

At the expense of leaving ALOT of the details out you can read how it went here Speed GT.

One of the best races I have ever seen, let alone been part of. It will be televised next sunday at 1pm on the speed channel. If ANYONE could record it, I would GREATLY appreciate it.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First place in his first race.....not too shabby! Bet Lou is beaming!
Old 08-01-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome Boyce! It looks like you had a good weekend too!
Old 08-01-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like a very worthwhile weekend Boyce, how was the heat down there ? How was Lou's demeanor compared to last year
Old 08-01-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Last year Lou had 4 cars to worry about so he was wound up tighter than a clock. Cant blame him for that.

Since he wasnt driving this year, he was alot more layed back. You could definately tell he wanted to be behind the stick though. And he was a bit nervous about letting someone else drive his car.

He was pretty busy all weekend so we didnt get alot of time to chit chat. And when he wasnt running around trying to deal with SCCA, myself and the crew were busy with the car.

Lou is a great guy but when its race time he's all business.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

I'll have pictures of the entire event up soon. Thanks Boyce for helping me get the credentials.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

i have no idea why they wouldnt let you into the area after the win. That pass should have got you into just about everywhere. the only thing I can think of is that the winners circle was for press/crew only.

Cant wait to see some of those pictures. I spoke with Lou and told him that you would be sending a disc to him. he said he is excited to see it.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

You have any "teaser" photos?