Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Polishing aluminum wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 03:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polishing aluminum wheels

Hello

Can you recommend a good product for polishing aluminum wheels and also a quick and easy method? I've seen one of those buff pads for wheels a while ago but I can't remember the name... They're to be used on a drill. Are they ok or will the temperature build up ruin my TT-2s?
Old 08-09-2005, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I like the Mother's Powerball along with some Meguiar's NXT Metal Polysh for my ZR1 wheels.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:27 AM
10 Second Club

Eastwood has some nice polishing stuff Nick. Might want to check out their website.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:15 AM
12 Second Club

Gords Aluminum polish
Old 08-09-2005, 11:42 AM
12 Second Club

Gord's, Blue Magic, Mothers, Mequiar's In my opinion they all work with similar results.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:33 PM
12 Second Club

heard a lot of good things about the mothers power ***** + a good polish
Old 08-09-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve Goodwin
Gord's, Blue Magic, Mothers, Mequiar's In my opinion they all work with similar results.
There is a BIG difference in the results I get for Meguiar's NXT Metal Polysh vs. Mothers PowerMetal or Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish. Meguiar's looks much much better and lasts nearly twice as long. So far it is the best that I have used, but I haven't tried Heavy Metal polish or English Custom Polish yet. Both of which are supposed to be excellent.

I've never tried Gord's, and Blue Magic is a good product as a first step but not last step. It leaves a rougher surface behind instead of the smooth mirror-like finish I'm looking for.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also check out:

http://www.englishcustompolishing.com/usca/myths.html
Old 08-09-2005, 03:12 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks everyone! I tried Heavy Metal polish once - the blue liquid - and it did work ok but I wasn't able to get that like-new mirror finish. It's a good product but I'll give the NXT Meguiar's a try as soon as I get the car back from Ellis
Old 08-09-2005, 05:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use nothing but Gords now. I have a bunch of bottles of the other stuff that are just rotting in the driveway.

Gords is a finisher though for instance my Hopsters (same as TTII's) are not in bad shape to begin with I let them go for a few months and a little buffing with the Gords they look pretty damn good. Plus Gords is much easier to use than the other products I've tried.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:36 PM
12 Second Club

Bobby makes a good point the Gord's is very easy to use. I have some Nick and you are welcome to try it. How long is Ellis going to have your car I may just run out there shoot the breeze and polish those wheels for you.

Another product that is pretty kick *** is Lustre Lace. It is comes in cloth strips with the product already on it. You can find it at your local Harley shops.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

A detailing trick of the trade is also to wax the wheels after you polish them. It makes it easier to clean them the next time and, as an added bonus, brake dust won't stick in the finish as easily.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

Good point Howard. That's a good tip. Steve you're more than welcome to show up there (if Ellis doesn't mind us BSing while he works) - he'll keep the car for at least a week more so if you want to go there tell me and I will go too - for sure I can use your help on polishing those - let me know your beer of choice and I'll take care of that.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:16 PM
12 Second Club

I don't wnat to slow him down, Dorothy is on his he waiting list.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

AH!! hehe... backing out of you offer huh!! It's all good Steve, we can still have that beer if you want to go there one of these days when I'm there taking pictures.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:09 PM
11 Second Club

I use Gord's on aluminum and chrome and it works great. Wenol also works very well.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:55 PM
12 Second Club

No I am not backing out. Ellis has a great shop and always learn something everytime I go out.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by howierd42
A detailing trick of the trade is also to wax the wheels after you polish them. It makes it easier to clean them the next time and, as an added bonus, brake dust won't stick in the finish as easily.
From the following Q&A link regarding Carnuba products: http://www.englishcustompolishing.com/usca/myths8.html

8. I want to protect my finish with carnauba so it will last longer

Sorry, Carnauba is acidic. That means it will attack what is underneath.

It is also porous. That means it will get oxidization going too.

Just as a bonus you'll find that it will probably increase pitting on road vehicles as well. This is because by putting a soft surface over your wheels, tanks or whatever - you are helping to guide the missiles in, just like with a full metal jacket (used on an armor piercing bullet). Or a fitter using electrical tape over the painted wing of your car so he can drill a simple hole.

Carnauba is great for show vehicles that are subject to regular repolishing, and useful for protecting from road salt in morthern climates. otherwise, leave it off.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Which is just another reason to use Zaino. Besides, most people already know that carnuba does not really look good on lighter colors, so I would not use it on chrome, pollished aluminum, etc. either.

The following is from http://www.properautocare.com/propwheelcar.html

Proper Wheel Care

History didn’t record his name. He may have been a warrior designing a battle chariot. Perhaps a stone mason struggling to complete a building. Or a mourner providing a smoother ride for a departed loved one. But on that day, sometime in the Fourth Millennium B.C., in the delta between the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers, this unknown Sumerian changed the world and all mankind. He made a wheel.

Modern wheels can enhance your car’s appearance and performance but they also present a substantial cleaning challenge. Heated dust particles from brake pads constantly bombard the wheel and bake into the finish. If left on the wheel, a phenomenon known as “galvanic corrosion” sets in which will eventually destroy the wheel’s appearance.

Unfortunately, car wash soaps and household cleaners are not strong enough to break the bond between brake dust and the wheel. To properly clean wheels, the car care industry has developed two groups of wheel cleaners:

1. The first group are acid-based cleaners. These are widely used by detailers, car dealers and car washes desiring to clean wheels in the shortest possible time or with the least amount of effort. Acid-based cleaners are typically a 2-3% solution of oxylic, phosphoric and/or hydrochloric acid. Most spray-on/hose-off wheel cleaners fall into this group. While these cleaners pack the greatest cleaning punch they can etch the surface if allowed to dry on the wheel. Care should also be taken not to use acid cleaners on wheels with pitted or chipped surfaces. The acid will migrate into any fissures and accentuate flaking and peeling of surface coatings.

2. The second group of cleaners are commonly called non-acid or acid-free wheel cleaners. These are mild solutions of an alkaline solvent, usually ethylene glycol, with a wetting agent. These solutions creep under the dirt and brake dust, loosening and lifting surface grime. Non-acid cleaners usually require some surface agitation (brush or sponge) but are safer to the wheel’s finish. P21S Wheel Cleaners (from Germany), Sonus Gel Wheel Cleaner, Amazing Roll Off, and Eimann Fabrik Hi-Intensity Cleaner are all 100% acid-free wheel cleaners. They range in strength from mild (P21S and Sonus), to moderate (High Intensity Cleaner), to professional strength (Amazing Roll Off).

Once you’ve selected the proper wheel cleaner, here are some tips to make cleaning easier:

1. Clean the wheels first before washing the rest of the car. This prevents you from splattering cleaners, dirt and brake dust on already cleaned panels.

2. Do not clean wheels that are still hot from driving.

3. Clean one wheel at a time following the instructions on the cleaner. For extra tough grime and brake dust, agitate the surface with a soft, scrub brush. Do not allow any wheel cleaner to dry on the wheel.

4. Wax painted and clearcoated wheels for added surface protection and to facilitate future cleaning. Eimann Fabrik Clear Pearl Instant Detail Spray is excellent for this application. Simply spray it on a dry wheel and wipe with a soft towel.

Quick Reply: Polishing aluminum wheels