Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Here I'm tired of hearing about OBD1 shift/no-shift

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 06:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

hehe

I am just, Hmm what do you call it when you explain something ten bazillion times and when you are done the person goes? "So why does it do that again?"

So I have told people in person. I have done about 50 full write up's...One more time

Quick scale down and dirty.

There is code writen into the PCM that looks at stall Vs VSS(MPH for the slow). If you have to much RPM and NO or little VSS it goes limp.

On a LT1 car it seems to be 2,500 or so. If you hold stall over that for say three seconds and you have not moved(VSS at 0 pulses) the PCM assumes the VSS is bad and goes into limp mode...at which point it will not shift untill you come out of WOT operation. then unless you are in Manual select 2nd gear it goes to third...as seen in the videos Jim has posted. At first we thought it was all about the 60FT but we had N2O cars doing 1.5 60fts. We were told it was the Transmissions fault but I quickly ruled that out(after killing a few) by stuffing a 97 PCM in. All was well then. we started converting OBD-I cars to OBD-II.

My testing yesterday showed 3,000 to be the LS1 delta and it reacted different by making all the shift and then going limp when I lifted. Hey I can live with that

I had people e-mailing me non-stop about fixing the actual problem and poor people like Jake here who were told they should convert to OBD-I because it was cheaper only to find out later they were wrong.

Well after years of helping me and others Ed Write stepped up to the plate and stuffed a huge converter in his personal car and banged it off the rev limiter ump-teen times till he actually found the true code and fixed. I have tested this code and it does in-deed work. The car we tested it in ran 10.3x with 1.35 60ft times.

Now for Jake here the key is going to be to put his OBD-II PCM back in...Some thing I am doing for FREE. We are having flash problems at the moment with his car and I did not want to fry his working 97 PCM so we put the 94-95 PCM back in and I told him how to launch it so not to set the code...NOT good enough for him.

So under standably he goes looking on every board and under every rock to find an answer. I have the Answer I just need the code fixed to program his 97 PCM. I personaly do not write code yet...what can I say. Now if I want to spend another $200 to fix his PCM for FREE I suppose it would all be good. I have already spent $100 out of my pocket to work on his PCM for FREE.

I REALLY do know how frustraing it can be. I can also bet there is not one other person here who has spent as much money as Jim and I on TRUELY fixing the problem.

there is the down and dirty
Old 08-28-2005, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate all the work but don't play like we haven't done stuff for free for eachother before. AND as you very know If i knew there was money involded in making MY pcm work, you know if has not been a problem before money would be provided.

But just curious why are you paying to have the software you paid for fixed? Shouldn't it be provided? And also, what did you guys use to tune jimbob's obd2 back when he had the problem?

And to back up my post, Jim-Bob said putting a obd-2 into the car would eliminate the problem thus making me believe any computer post-obd1 would not have this problem. That seemed logical to me.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, Ellis, for taking the time to explain to us that are a little slow. Now I had a 97 vette, auto and nitrous, and I never experianced any issues. I used slam that bad boy hard, power braking as far as I could and n2o wright outa the hole (no window switch) and second hitting would allways throw me side ways (TC off). Is this an issue with early OBD II's, as mine was an early one and had about a half dozen GM reflash updates (maybe a fix). Also, as You probably know the 97's are year specific, and not much tuning for the average guy (only 9xxx were built). Thanks again, and be nice to Jake.
Robert
Old 08-28-2005, 07:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its he OBD1 With the problems, OBD 2 is the fix.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by strobelite
IBut just curious why are you paying to have the software you paid for fixed? Shouldn't it be provided? And also, what did you guys use to tune jimbob's obd2 back when he had the problem?

And to back up my post, Jim-Bob said putting a obd-2 into the car would eliminate the problem thus making me believe any computer post-obd1 would not have this problem. That seemed logical to me.
I will address the other on the phone.

I bought code JUST to work on your car. It would provide fruitful in the future I know. It is not working correctly yet. SO All I can do now is send my LT1 OBD-II cable back and pay the cash to have your car added. A waste of money to me but if it will work WTF. I no longer use LT1 OBD-II EDIT as it was vin specific to mine and Jims cars. Not to mention expensive. I pay three times as much to ONLY work on one car..F that.

I don't know why it is Jake but you seem to go out of your way to get answer you all ready have but refuse to believe.

BTW I will do what I can to be nice to Jake

Quick Reply: Here I'm tired of hearing about OBD1 shift/no-shift